• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Is The Term Most High God Always Associated In Scripture With The Gentiles?

• Members
The Most High, and is the king of Salem. Israel is not yet on the scene. She has been promised in the Abrahamic Covenant, but as yet, there is no Israel. So who are the people dwelling in the area of Salem? Non-Jews, or Gentiles. So this term Most High God is always associated in Scripture with the Gentile as opposed to being associated with Israel. Turn with me now to Deuteronomy, and let me make a point.
Deuteronomy 32:7-9
"Remember the days of old, consider the years of many generations: ask thy father, and he will shew thee; thy elders, and they will tell thee. When the Most High divided to the nations (plural - not Israel, but to the Gentile nations) their inheritance, when he separated the sons of Adam, he set the bounds of the people according to the number of the children of Israel. For the Lords portion is his people; JacOB is the lot of his inheritance."
I'm trying to point out the term `Most High' is applying to whom? The non-Jew; the Gentile world! Go to the Book of Daniel. Daniel is a book of prophecy concerning the Gentile nations. You can almost anticipate what I am going to tell you. The constant reference to God in Daniel is The Most High. Here are a couple of examples, concerning king Nebuchadnezzar - Daniel is speaking.
Daniel 4:17a
"This matter is by the decree of the watchers, and the demand by the word of the holy ones: to the intent that the living may know that the most High ruleth in the kingdom of men (not Jehovah - the Most High)..."
Daniel 4:24a
"This is the interpretation, O king, and this is the decree of the most High,..." Now come over to Chapter 5.
Daniel 5:18a
"O thou king, the most high God gave Nebuchadnezzar thy father a kingdom (Gentiles)..."
What I want you to understand is that as Jehovah is intrinsically and primarily the name of God with regard to Israel and redemption; this term Most High (which in the Hebrew is El Elyon) is applying to the non-Jew, or the Gentile world.
by Les Feldick

~~~~Gentiles Uses~~~~
Gen 14:18 And Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he was the priest of the most high God.
Gen 14:19 And he blessed him, and said, Blessed be Abram of the most high God, possessor of heaven and earth:
Gen 14:20 And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all.
Gen 14:22 And Abram said to the king of Sodom, I have lift up mine hand unto the LORD, the most high God, the possessor of heaven and earth,
Num 24:16 (Balaam) He hath said, which heard the words of God, and knew the knowledge of the most High, which saw the vision of the Almighty, falling into a trance, but having his eyes open:
Deu 32:8 When the most High divided to the nations their inheritance, when he separated the sons of Adam, he set the bounds of the people according to the number of the children of Israel.
Dan 3:26 Then Nebuchadnezzar came near to the mouth of the burning fiery furnace, and spake, and said, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, ye servants of the most high God, come forth, and come hither. Then Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, came forth of the midst of the fire.
Dan 4:25 That they shall drive thee from men, and thy dwelling shall be with the beasts of the field, and they shall make thee to eat grass as oxen, and they shall wet thee with the dew of heaven, and seven times shall pass over thee, till thou know that the most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever he will.
Dan 4:32 And they shall drive thee from men, and thy dwelling shall be with the beasts of the field: they shall make thee to eat grass as oxen, and seven times shall pass over thee, until thou know that the most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever he will.
Dan 4:34 And at the end of the days I Nebuchadnezzar lifted up mine eyes unto heaven, and mine understanding returned unto me, and I blessed the most High, and I praised and honoured him that liveth for ever, whose dominion is an everlasting dominion, and his kingdom is from generation to generation:
Dan 5:21 And he was driven from the sons of men; and his heart was made like the beasts, and his dwelling was with the wild asses: they fed him with grass like oxen, and his body was wet with the dew of heaven; till he knew that the most high God ruled in the kingdom of men, and that he appointeth over it whomsoever he will.
Dan 7:18 But the saints of the most High shall take the kingdom, and possess the kingdom for ever, even for ever and ever.
Dan 7:22 Until the Ancient of days came, and judgment was given to the saints of the most High; and the time came that the saints possessed the kingdom.
Dan 7:25 And he shall speak great words against the most High, and shall wear out the saints of the most High, and think to change times and laws: and they shall be given into his hand until a time and times and the dividing of time.
Dan 7:27 And the kingdom and dominion, and the greatness of the kingdom under the whole heaven, shall be given to the people of the saints of the most High, whose kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and all dominions shall serve and OBey him.
Isa 14:14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.
Hos 7:16 They return, but not to the most High: they are like a deceitful bow: their princes shall fall by the sword for the rage of their tongue: this shall be their derision in the land of Egypt.
Act 16:17 The same followed Paul and us, and cried, saying, These men are the servants of the most high God, which shew unto us the way of salvation.

~~~~~~~~Jewish Uses~~~

2Sa 22:14 The LORD thundered from heaven, and the most High uttered his voice.
Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Psa 9:2 I will be glad and rejoice in thee: I will sing praise to thy name, O thou most High.
Psa 21:7 For the king trusteth in the LORD, and through the mercy of the most High he shall not be moved.
Psa 46:4 There is a river, the streams whereof shall make glad the city of God, the holy place of the tabernacles of the most High.
Psa 47:2 For the LORD most high is terrible; he is a great King over all the earth.
Psa 50:14 Offer unto God thanksgiving; and pay thy vows unto the most High:
Psa 56:2 Mine enemies would daily swallow me up: for they be many that fight against me, O thou most High.
Psa 57:2 I will cry unto God most high; unto God that performeth all things for me.
Psa 73:11 And they say, How doth God know? and is there knowledge in the most High?
Psa 77:10 And I said, This is my infirmity: but I will remember the years of the right hand of the most High.
Psa 78:17 And they sinned yet more against him by provoking the most High in the wilderness.
Psa 78:56 Yet they tempted and provoked the most high God, and kept not his testimonies:
Psa 82:6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.
Psa 83:18 That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth.
Psa 91:1 He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
Psa 91:9 Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation;
Psa 92:1 [[A Psalm or Song for the sabbath day.]] It is a good thing to give thanks unto the LORD, and to sing praises unto thy name, O most High:
Psa 92:8 But thou, LORD, art most high for evermore.
Psa 107:11 Because they rebelled against the words of God, and contemned the counsel of the most High:
Lam 3:35 To turn aside the right of a man before the face of the most High,
Lam 3:38 Out of the mouth of the most High proceedeth not evil and good?
Hos 11:7 And my people are bent to backsliding from me: though they called them to the most High, none at all would exalt him.
Mat 21:9 And the multitudes that went before, and that followed, cried, saying, Hosanna to the Son of David: Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord; Hosanna in the highest. 
Mar 11:10 Blessed be the kingdom of our father David, that cometh in the name of the Lord: Hosanna in the highest. 
Mar 5:7 And cried with a loud voice, and said, What have I to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of the most high God? I adjure thee by God, that thou torment me not.
Luk 1:32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David:
Luk 1:35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.
Luk 1:76 And thou, child, shalt be called the prophet of the Highest: for thou shalt go before the face of the Lord to prepare his ways;
Luk 2:14 Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.
Luk 6:35 But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.
Luk 8:28 When he saw Jesus, he cried out, and fell down before him, and with a loud voice said, What have I to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God most high? I beseech thee, torment me not.
Luk 19:38 Saying, Blessed be the King that cometh in the name of the Lord: peace in heaven, and glory in the highest.
Act 7:48 Howbeit the most High dwelleth not in temples made with hands; as saith the prophet,
Heb 7:1 For this Melchisedec, king of Salem, priest of the most high God, who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings, and blessed him;

So we see once again by only following Paul, the Holy Bible proves this idea incorrect. 

• Members

I think you are saying following Paul but he is not, He uses Paul's writings as basis to understanding scriptures.  But his prOBlem is pretexting the scriptures with NT ideas of Paul and placing them onto OT scriptures, that is wrong and will create false teaching.

Don't judge ALL men who use Paul's writings as a guideline for church doctrine just because this guy is in error.

That is like judging all Christians based on Roman Catholic practices.  It is further more like saying all Christians are guilty of the Crusading wars that were perpetrated by the RC church.

Just because this nut misuses scripture and does not truly rightly divide the word properly does not mean that all are guilty of his offenses that use Paul's church writings as a base for church doctrine today.

I think you are seeing his false teaching and that is good but to think everyone who promotes using church writings for a basis of church age doctrines are like him that is a error of judgement.

the term the Most High is one of many titles of God, as is Jehovah and it's combination names.  While Jehovah is used very few times in the scriptures the Hebrew term JHVH translated as LORD.  that is because when they came to the JHVH they said LORD and not Jehovah out of fear they would use it in vain and violate the commandment.  there were other terms used by gentiles it was Almighty God and God Almighty

those who use the term Jehovah and Yeshua or JAH on a regular basis in refering to God are cultic and usually promote teaching that puts people back under law.

But then again anyone who says that members of the body of Christ in their assembly must tithe or they are in sin also are putting their members under the law, a commandment given for all Israel Only.  While Paul taught what so ever a man purpose in his heart let him lay that aside and bring it on the first day of the week when they assembled.

Archived