Online Baptist Community
  • Newest Sermon Entry

• By 1Timothy115 in Devotionals
      Psalms 119:1-8                                         Sep. 5 - Oct. 2, 2019
      1 ALEPH. Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the LORD.
      2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
      3 They also do no iniquity: they walk in his ways.
      4 Thou hast commanded us to keep thy precepts diligently.
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      6 Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments.
      7 I will praise thee with uprightness of heart, when I shall have learned thy righteous judgments.
      8 I will keep thy statutes: O forsake me not utterly.
      The following verse stood out to me...
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      At first glance it seemed to me this person’s soul is poured out with intense desire to have God’s direction in keeping His Word.
      I made a small wood fire in our backyard for my granddaughter, Julia, since she would be staying overnight with us. My wife and Julia stayed outside at the fire for about half an hour. Then, I found myself alone to watch the fire die out on a particularly lovely evening. So I took my verse from above and began to repeat it for memorization. As I repeated the verse, I tried to contemplate the words and apply them to what I was seeing around me. 
      The moon and stars were out now peering through the scattered clouds above.
      [Genesis 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. Genesis 1:17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth, Genesis 1:18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.]
      Thought 1         
      The moon has stayed his course since the day God created him, also the stars, obeying the statutes directed by God from the first day they were created. Can you imagine God’s direction to the Moon and stars, “moon you will have a path through the sky above the earth, stars you will occupy the firmament above the moon and be clearly visible in the cloudless night sky.”
      Then, the trees, grass, even the air we breathe obey the statues God gave them from the beginning. None of these creations have souls, none have hearts, none have intelligence, but they all observe God’s statutes, His instructions for their limited time on earth.
      Thought 2
      What if we were like the moon, stars, trees, grass, or the other creations which have no soul? We would be directed to keep God’s statutes without choosing to keep them. This is not the image of God, there would be no dominion over other creatures, or over the earth. We would not be capable of experiencing the joy and peace of learning the love of God
      Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
      Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
      Thought 3 (October 2, 2019)
      Is the psalmist pleading God to force God’s statutes to become the man’s ways? No, he is speaking of his own failure in keeping God’s statutes and his desire to keep them, very much like Paul in Romans 7:14-25.
      God doesn’t work through force to turn men from their ways that they would desire His statutes or desire God Himself. Men must reject (repent) put aside his own ways and voluntarily seek God and His statutes.

Left Behind: Not A "christian Movie." Not Even Close.

Rate this topic

John81

• Advanced Member

Explain to boys what "Covereth his feet" means and you have their attention for the next half hour waiting for the next bit of "boy interest" to come out... :lol:

I gather you are referring to Saul going into the cave?

One English edition of a MV said he went into the cave to relieve himself.

The American edition said he went into the cave to go to the bathroom.

• Moderators

I believe its the JFV, (Jeff Foxworthy Version) that says, "He dropped his drawers".

• Independent Fundamental Baptist

My brother was a HUGE reader of the books, and after a day long discussion, while building a pole barn, he came to the conclusion I was correct, but only after quite a study on his own of what I told him that day. He didn't tell me for about a year that he had changed his ideology concerning Tim LaHaye and his teachings on the rapture and other teachings. Especially his Study Bible.

No, I previously mentioned Ehud.
The whole account is boys own excitement with added bonus of toilet humour to really get the boys on board. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Just watched the movie on YouTube (may not be up for long due to copyright infringement).  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y5ADoYcur4

Storyline was much different from the original.  Some humorous parts in it.  Not as much Bible references as in the original.

Thanks. That was pitiful! Skipped through the whole movie, and find it disturbing that trash like this is being put out as 'bible'.

Hollywood has more "Christian" movies in the works because they realize that tagging any movie as being in any way Christian will draw extra millions of American Christians into the movie houses.

The last Superman movie, a movie that should clearly be noticed as not being Christian, was nevertheless promoted as having "Christian themes", and was highly publicized to Christians. That was enough to draw millions of Christians to see the movie.

It's a shame more Christians can't tell the difference between biblical Christianity, things which fit in with Scripture, and those things that are tagged as "Christian themed" or being a "family movie" or having "family values". Most often these movies, even if they aren't "as bad as" other movies, still provide exceedingly little, and usually no outright Christian teaching, values or themes.

This is more of Hollywood and the world hijacking Christianity for personal gain and the downgrading of Christianity.

Knew it was going to be taken down sooner or later. I did get to watch it before it was taken down, telling me it isn't worth buying when it comes out on DVD

Lahaye's books aren't worth buying, either.
He took the philosophy of Plato(4 temperaments), a famous pedophile, and peddled it to Evangelicals.
No great surprise then, that the movie is worthless. It is just greedy of gain.

He took the philosophy of Plato(4 temperaments), a famous pedophile, and peddled it to Evangelicals.

Indeed, LaHayes books appear Christian on the surface but when one really looks at their content they are filled with many unbiblical ideas. Writing the books as fiction gave the authors cover for the many wrong and often dangerous elements they introduced into the series.

This only helped to grow and perpetuate for many an over-focus upon sensationalized end-times scenarios, fiction, fantasy and even OBsession with outright or virtual date setting, uncovering of the anti-christ, discovering the mark of the beast, and even preparing for a Christian militia war against one world government.

Increasing watered down was the actual Gospel, and virtually left out was any call, or even the idea of Christians living holy lives surrendered to Christ.

Little wonder that even the Christian films based upon the series were confusing and watered down for even more mass appeal and not wonder at all that Hollywood left Jesus out of their version while presenting an airplane disaster movie disguised as a Christian movie.

I agree. His study bible was the 'worst', also.

Full of all kinds of nonsense, giving cross references and commentary to lead the

'fellow believer' guessing about 'why' "use the bible as a backdrop for his commentary".

There were very flawed connections between references. My brother was really into 

Lahayes series. And after quite the discussion with him, using scriptures and comparing

Lahayes 'so-called' commentary, he went home and studied it out himself, and later he confessed

that 'his big brother was right'.

• Members

For the record, I rather enjoyed the Lahaye/Jenkins "Left Behind" series.  Albeit, I did not read them as being Scripturally sound.  I enjoyed them for the fiction they are.  I would get a book in the series, start reading, and not put it down until I read the last chapter.  Then, I waited for the next to come out.  I was intrigued by the storyline. disappointed in the artistic license it took with Scripture, and actually wondered how much better they would have been had the authors stuck to Scripture.

One of the biggest disapointments for me was seeing Rayford and Chloe allegedly getting "born again" after the rapture of the Church, when the storyline shows they rejected Christ before the Rapture.  And they didn't reject Him due to ignorance of not knowing who He was.  Irene had shared the Gospel with Rayford and Chloe prior to the Rapture.

In the books, artistic license was taken, and they were given new life in Christ when the Bible teaches they would be sent strong delusions and believe a lie because they received not a love for the truth.

So many more errors.  Too numerous to count.  But a well written fiction nonetheless.

I know of far more people who came to Christ through the Thief in the Night movies than the Left Behind movies.

Read as fiction, the Left Behind books stand well. The real prOBlem with the Left Behind series is the great number of people who forgot or failed to accept they were fiction and took whatever they read in them as fact. I've encountered many end-times OBsessed people over the years who can quote left and right from the Left Behind series and they do so as if those books are the final authority.

Unfortunately, it's not just the Left Behind books that have ill effected many professing Christians. The Christian fiction book market has really boomed with a wide assortment of Christian romance novels, Christian historical fiction, Christian westerns, etc. For too many professing Christians, reading these books takes the place of reading the Bible and sound non-fiction Christian works. It's not uncommon to hear Christian women talking about all the Christian books they have been reading only to discover they are referring to reading several series of Christian romance novels.

I don't know for sure, but are there any references to 'Baptists' in the books on the end times, like Lahayes?

I seem to think from my 'failing' memory, that most 'christians' in movies and books that are popular, that the 'charismatics' are the only ones mentioned as believers.

Anyone else get that?

I don't know for sure, but are there any references to 'Baptists' in the books on the end times, like Lahayes?

I seem to think from my 'failing' memory, that most 'christians' in movies and books that are popular, that the 'charismatics' are the only ones mentioned as believers.

Anyone else get that?

That seems to be most often the case to one degree or another. Usually specific names or denominations aren't mentioned, but the churches or gatherings of believers they show typically have what most would see as a charismatic or pentecostal leaning.

There are Charismatic Baptists and Pentecostal Baptists so perhaps some of those in the movies are Baptists!

It bothers me that movies like this are made anyway, but to use 'false' churches to represent the 'christians' galls me.

The 'charismatic' so-called believers are the whole prOBlem with the 'christian' view, from the lost person's point of view.

Their 'truth' leads to hell.

Which, by the way, makes their 'truth' led by the devil, and his kind.

Urg!