• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

John81

Left Behind: Not A "christian Movie." Not Even Close.

Sky  has been broadcasting a trailer for a series called The leftovers, From what I have seen it seems to be on the same subject. I believe that is on one of the paid channels and I don't subscribe to any of these.

It is one way of changing the word of God in unsaved people lives so that they question the Bible validity. 

When the secular entertainment industry makes a so called Bible movie they always make it secular and make man to be the saviour and not Christ.

Often, even in the Christian films produced by Christians the Gospel is watered down, sometimes to the point of nothing more than, "just believe and ask Jesus into your heart".

Most often the stories are heavily fictionalized and other than a quick and limited prayer or a passing reference to God, the storyline plays out very much like any secular movie.

The clear Gospel is often missing as is clearly living for the Lord.

Also, in these tribulation days movies they almost always having Christians partaking in militant activities to try and stop that anti-christ. Where is this found in Scripture? From there the story typically follows "heroic" Christians using worldly methods to try and defeat that which Scripture says can and will only be defeated by Christ.

When you think about it, quite a few Bible stories are dramatic enough to be a major motion picture.  (Just as the Sight and Sound Theater!)   But instead of using it to make secular Hollywood a buck or million, people should be taking things more seriously.

Revelation could be a horror movie, and will be one...but not for entertainment.

I admit wanting to see someone do a computer animated scene of the "valley of dry bones" though.  Coooooool.   :-)

Will it make big money like the movie Noah?

Doubtful since it has pretty much bombed at the box office.  

PrOBably the next 'biblical' movie that will do better than Noah will be the upcoming "Exodus: Gods and Kings" movie, starring Batman.

Starring Batman???!!!??

Christian Bale

This isn't his first foray into "Christian" film...he portrayed Jesus in a movie. It was one of the worst accounts that I've seen. In it, Jesus didn't know who he was (the Son of God) until right before he started his public ministry. His mother (Mary) had to guide him into that knowledge...if I remember correctly.

Suzy did bring up a good point in that the Bible is filled with stories and events that would make great  movies or even a TV series. However, since the lost don't understand the Bible, and those in Hollywood typically think ill of the Bible, whenever they touch a biblical account they can't leave it alone. Instead, they delete things, add things, tweak the story and use their great wisdom to make it all better for us. The actual fact is, the biblical stories have enough excitement and relevance they stand exceptionally well on their own and all the changes only serve to detract and diminish.

Imagine a movie or mini-series on the life of Elijah that was actually faithful to Scripture!

Unfortunately, even Christian filmmakers seem to follow a similar path to the worldly filmmakers. They may have more actual Bible in their movies but they can't seem to keep from leaving some out and adding their own stuff (I'm not talking about a little filler here and there to keep the movie flowing, but serious content stuff).

Bible Theme, Nicolas Cage Lead 'Left Behind' to Massive Box-Office Success

Left Behind, which opened Friday on 1,790 screens across the United States and 35 in Canada, garnered strong box-office attendance from moviegoers this past weekend, commanding $6.3 million ($3,452 per-screen average) in receipts.

Although questioned by critics, audiences turned the other cheek and flocked to theaters to watch Nicolas Cage lead a cast through the story of the rapture that brings biblical prophecy to life in modern times.

Producer and co-writer Paul Lalonde commented, "We are pleased with the response the film has had from moviegoers across North America. With a marketing budget less than one-tenth of what the studios spend on the movies we're competing with, we had focused our marketing efforts toward our core Christian audience.  

"We had a strong social presence and knew awareness in the core demo was strong," he continued. "Our goal was to enlist those fans to spread the word and to bring friends and family who weren't necessarily believers. I have to give thanks to director Vic Armstrong, star Nicolas Cage and the rest of the cast and team that brought it all together so well. But most of all, I want to thank the fans for supporting this movie, and all faith based movies, by actually buying tickets and going to the theater."

Freestyle Releasing's Co-President Mark Borde added: "We were bullish on this film from the very beginning. Originally slated for a 1,200 screen run In the U.S., we bumped it up to 1,790 theaters due to the pre-release demand. We are very pleased with these results in light of being up against five films, each in more than 3,000 theaters with far larger marketing budgets."

Left Behind is based on the New York Times best-selling book series of the same name, co-authored by Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins. Based on the Bible and published in 32 different languages, the series has sold more than 63 million copies and is one of the best-selling fiction series of all time.  

The film follows Rayford Steele (Cage), who is piloting a commercial airliner just hours after the rapture when millions of people in the plane and around the glOBe suddenly vanish. Thirty thousand feet over the Atlantic, Rayford is faced with a damaged plane, terrified passengers and a desperate desire to get back to his family. On the ground, his daughter, Chloe Steele (Cassi Thomson), is among those left behind, forced to navigate a world of madness as she searches for her lost mother and brother.

Left Behind was produced by Lalonde, Michael Walker and Ed Clydesdale and co-written by Lalonde and John Patus.

Explain to boys what "Covereth his feet" means and you have their attention for the next half hour waiting for the next bit of "boy interest" to come out... :lol:

I gather you are referring to Saul going into the cave?

One English edition of a MV said he went into the cave to relieve himself.

The American edition said he went into the cave to go to the bathroom.

I believe its the JFV, (Jeff Foxworthy Version) that says, "He dropped his drawers".

My brother was a HUGE reader of the books, and after a day long discussion, while building a pole barn, he came to the conclusion I was correct, but only after quite a study on his own of what I told him that day. He didn't tell me for about a year that he had changed his ideology concerning Tim LaHaye and his teachings on the rapture and other teachings. Especially his Study Bible.

No, I previously mentioned Ehud.
The whole account is boys own excitement with added bonus of toilet humour to really get the boys on board. ;)