• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Left Behind: Not A "christian Movie." Not Even Close.

John81

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Bible Theme, Nicolas Cage Lead 'Left Behind' to Massive Box-Office Success

Left Behind, which opened Friday on 1,790 screens across the United States and 35 in Canada, garnered strong box-office attendance from moviegoers this past weekend, commanding $6.3 million ($3,452 per-screen average) in receipts.

Although questioned by critics, audiences turned the other cheek and flocked to theaters to watch Nicolas Cage lead a cast through the story of the rapture that brings biblical prophecy to life in modern times.

Producer and co-writer Paul Lalonde commented, "We are pleased with the response the film has had from moviegoers across North America. With a marketing budget less than one-tenth of what the studios spend on the movies we're competing with, we had focused our marketing efforts toward our core Christian audience.  

"We had a strong social presence and knew awareness in the core demo was strong," he continued. "Our goal was to enlist those fans to spread the word and to bring friends and family who weren't necessarily believers. I have to give thanks to director Vic Armstrong, star Nicolas Cage and the rest of the cast and team that brought it all together so well. But most of all, I want to thank the fans for supporting this movie, and all faith based movies, by actually buying tickets and going to the theater."

Freestyle Releasing's Co-President Mark Borde added: "We were bullish on this film from the very beginning. Originally slated for a 1,200 screen run In the U.S., we bumped it up to 1,790 theaters due to the pre-release demand. We are very pleased with these results in light of being up against five films, each in more than 3,000 theaters with far larger marketing budgets."

Left Behind is based on the New York Times best-selling book series of the same name, co-authored by Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins. Based on the Bible and published in 32 different languages, the series has sold more than 63 million copies and is one of the best-selling fiction series of all time.  

The film follows Rayford Steele (Cage), who is piloting a commercial airliner just hours after the rapture when millions of people in the plane and around the glOBe suddenly vanish. Thirty thousand feet over the Atlantic, Rayford is faced with a damaged plane, terrified passengers and a desperate desire to get back to his family. On the ground, his daughter, Chloe Steele (Cassi Thomson), is among those left behind, forced to navigate a world of madness as she searches for her lost mother and brother.

Left Behind was produced by Lalonde, Michael Walker and Ed Clydesdale and co-written by Lalonde and John Patus.

• Members

Explain to boys what "Covereth his feet" means and you have their attention for the next half hour waiting for the next bit of "boy interest" to come out... :lol:

I gather you are referring to Saul going into the cave?

One English edition of a MV said he went into the cave to relieve himself.

The American edition said he went into the cave to go to the bathroom.

• Moderators

I believe its the JFV, (Jeff Foxworthy Version) that says, "He dropped his drawers".

• Members

My brother was a HUGE reader of the books, and after a day long discussion, while building a pole barn, he came to the conclusion I was correct, but only after quite a study on his own of what I told him that day. He didn't tell me for about a year that he had changed his ideology concerning Tim LaHaye and his teachings on the rapture and other teachings. Especially his Study Bible.

• Members

No, I previously mentioned Ehud.
The whole account is boys own excitement with added bonus of toilet humour to really get the boys on board. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Just watched the movie on YouTube (may not be up for long due to copyright infringement).  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y5ADoYcur4

Storyline was much different from the original.  Some humorous parts in it.  Not as much Bible references as in the original.

Thanks. That was pitiful! Skipped through the whole movie, and find it disturbing that trash like this is being put out as 'bible'.

• Members

Hollywood has more "Christian" movies in the works because they realize that tagging any movie as being in any way Christian will draw extra millions of American Christians into the movie houses.

The last Superman movie, a movie that should clearly be noticed as not being Christian, was nevertheless promoted as having "Christian themes", and was highly publicized to Christians. That was enough to draw millions of Christians to see the movie.

It's a shame more Christians can't tell the difference between biblical Christianity, things which fit in with Scripture, and those things that are tagged as "Christian themed" or being a "family movie" or having "family values". Most often these movies, even if they aren't "as bad as" other movies, still provide exceedingly little, and usually no outright Christian teaching, values or themes.

This is more of Hollywood and the world hijacking Christianity for personal gain and the downgrading of Christianity.

• Members

Knew it was going to be taken down sooner or later. I did get to watch it before it was taken down, telling me it isn't worth buying when it comes out on DVD

Lahaye's books aren't worth buying, either.
He took the philosophy of Plato(4 temperaments), a famous pedophile, and peddled it to Evangelicals.
No great surprise then, that the movie is worthless. It is just greedy of gain.

Archived