• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Left Behind: Not A "christian Movie." Not Even Close.

John81

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sky  has been broadcasting a trailer for a series called The leftovers, From what I have seen it seems to be on the same subject. I believe that is on one of the paid channels and I don't subscribe to any of these.

• Members

Often, even in the Christian films produced by Christians the Gospel is watered down, sometimes to the point of nothing more than, "just believe and ask Jesus into your heart".

Most often the stories are heavily fictionalized and other than a quick and limited prayer or a passing reference to God, the storyline plays out very much like any secular movie.

The clear Gospel is often missing as is clearly living for the Lord.

Also, in these tribulation days movies they almost always having Christians partaking in militant activities to try and stop that anti-christ. Where is this found in Scripture? From there the story typically follows "heroic" Christians using worldly methods to try and defeat that which Scripture says can and will only be defeated by Christ.

• Members

When you think about it, quite a few Bible stories are dramatic enough to be a major motion picture.  (Just as the Sight and Sound Theater!)   But instead of using it to make secular Hollywood a buck or million, people should be taking things more seriously.

Revelation could be a horror movie, and will be one...but not for entertainment.

I admit wanting to see someone do a computer animated scene of the "valley of dry bones" though.  Coooooool.   :-)

• Members

Will it make big money like the movie Noah?

Doubtful since it has pretty much bombed at the box office.  

PrOBably the next 'biblical' movie that will do better than Noah will be the upcoming "Exodus: Gods and Kings" movie, starring Batman.

• Members

Starring Batman???!!!??

Christian Bale

This isn't his first foray into "Christian" film...he portrayed Jesus in a movie. It was one of the worst accounts that I've seen. In it, Jesus didn't know who he was (the Son of God) until right before he started his public ministry. His mother (Mary) had to guide him into that knowledge...if I remember correctly.

• Members

Suzy did bring up a good point in that the Bible is filled with stories and events that would make great  movies or even a TV series. However, since the lost don't understand the Bible, and those in Hollywood typically think ill of the Bible, whenever they touch a biblical account they can't leave it alone. Instead, they delete things, add things, tweak the story and use their great wisdom to make it all better for us. The actual fact is, the biblical stories have enough excitement and relevance they stand exceptionally well on their own and all the changes only serve to detract and diminish.

Imagine a movie or mini-series on the life of Elijah that was actually faithful to Scripture!

Unfortunately, even Christian filmmakers seem to follow a similar path to the worldly filmmakers. They may have more actual Bible in their movies but they can't seem to keep from leaving some out and adding their own stuff (I'm not talking about a little filler here and there to keep the movie flowing, but serious content stuff).

Archived