• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Wine And Alcohl

Jordan Kurecki

• Members

Either/Or, Jim.

Myself, I don't believe the beverage at the Lord's Supper could have been alcoholic.

1. It represented His blood. Is His blood toxic as alcohol is? Does His blood cause one to utter perverse things?

2. 1 Peter 4:3 reveals that the Apostles did not drink alcohol, except maybe before they came to know Christ Jesus. The word "banquetings" in that verse means "social drinkings". Peter identifies such as working "the will of the Gentiles". It is a Gentile mindset that allows one to drink alcohol, not a Christian one.

• Members

I'm looking for a response to the original post.

I am simply looking to see what people have to say.

I am notorious for playing devils advocate with issues to see if they can be scripturally dended. 

in a sense it's how I best learn without putting myself in a box God doesn't want me in.

• Moderators

I believe that we need to seriously consider the prohibition given in the use of wine and strong drink to the priests while executing their priestly duties, and the kings and princes, particularly in the fact that the alcohol tends to pervert wisdom and judgment.

Seeing as we, as believers, are a priesthood of believers, should we not, then, forego all substances that will possibly pervert our judgment?

I can tell you, from experience, that alcohl, even a small amount, perverts my own judgment and has been instrumental in some poor decisions I made when a young man.

• Members

Good points Mike.

We should also consider the concept of avoiding the appearance of evil. Especially in America, drinking alcohol is extremely associated with drunkenness. The vast majority of drinkers partake of booze for the primary purpose of getting drunk and they view others who drink booze with that perspective.

For whatever reason, even among the lost and boozers, they believe it's wrong for Christians to drink. They act amazed and often will point condemning fingers at those who profess to be Christians who drink. For them, they do indeed see Christians drinking as giving an appearance of evil.

• Members

Good points Mike.

We should also consider the concept of avoiding the appearance of evil. Especially in America, drinking alcohol is extremely associated with drunkenness. The vast majority of drinkers partake of booze for the primary purpose of getting drunk and they view others who drink booze with that perspective.

For whatever reason, even among the lost and boozers, they believe it's wrong for Christians to drink. They act amazed and often will point condemning fingers at those who profess to be Christians who drink. For them, they do indeed see Christians drinking as giving an appearance of evil.

Exactly.  This is why when I am at a restaurant I will not order anything like a "virgin" strawberry daiquiri if they are going to serve it in a cocktail glass with the umbrella and all.  I will make them put it in a regular glass so no one thinks I am drinking a cocktail.  There is nothing at all wrong with the ingredients of a virgin strawberry daiquiri but I guard my testimony from the appearance of evil.  Same thing goes for sparkling cider; I wont purchase packaged in a bottle to looks just like champagne, and have someone see me leaving the store with what, without close inspection, looks like I am buying booze.  

Bro. Garry

• Members

Exactly.  This is why when I am at a restaurant I will not order anything like a "virgin" strawberry daiquiri if they are going to serve it in a cocktail class with the umbrella and all.  I will make them put it in a regular glass so no one thinks I am drinking a cocktail.  There is nothing at all wrong with the ingredients of a virgin strawberry daiquiri but I guard my testimony from the appearance of evil.  Same thing goes for sparkling cider; I wont purchase packaged in a bottle to looks just like champagne, and have someone see me leaving the store with what, without close inspection, looks like I am buying booze.  

Bro. Garry

Agreed! Unfortunately, I know a lot of Christians who like to look "cool" so they buy those bottles of sparkling grape juice that are packaged to look like holiday wine. Bad idea.

I've had Christians tell me I'm rude or something is wrong with me because I won't drink wine or champagne at wedding events. While I can understand why the lost have such at their weddings, I take heat for asking why Christians do this.

Archived