• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Overemphasizing Words

DaveW

• Members

2Co 3:6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

Tit 3:9 But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain.

Some here delight in missing the point of a verse or even doctrine in the attempt to dissect the words and find something in those words that was never intended, arguing against the OBvious meaning.

straining at gnats whilst swallowing camels......

• Moderators

Sometimes it's not a desire to stir the pot so much as it is a desire to be right.  But then...we each have something that others could point to and say "that ain't right", eh?

I do agree with the OP, though...

"Could" is past tense. As a result, you have stated quite emphatically that we no longer each have something noticeably wrong. It is either no longer wrong or else is hidden according to the make-up of your sentence. It all hinges of your use of the word : "could".

You have thereby falsely accused me of being contentious and I am of a mind (now that's debatable) to report you to a mod!!!!!

j/k     I could have resisted ---- but resistance was futile!  :clapping:

• Administrators

"Could" is past tense. As a result, you have stated quite emphatically that we no longer each have something noticeably wrong. It is either no longer wrong or else is hidden according to the make-up of your sentence. It all hinges of your use of the word : "could".

You have thereby falsely accused me of being contentious and I am of a mind (now that's debatable) to report you to a mod!!!!!

Ah, but "could" is not always past tense. It is also a conditional tense marker, thereby it can be ambiguous and therefore indicative of possibility. 

Because you have falsely accused me of falsely accusing you, I could report you. So there. Heh - I couldn't resist either.  :ROFL:

• Moderators

Ah, but "could" is not always past tense. It is also a conditional tense marker, thereby it can be ambiguous and therefore indicative of possibility. 

Because you have falsely accused me of falsely accusing you, I could report you. So there. Heh - I couldn't resist either.  :ROFL:

Power struggle, power struggle!!

• Members

She said could, not could have.  So I think you are (or is that have) totally misinterpreting what she thought she said.  :bleh:

Archived