• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Are You Familiar With "local Church Only"

• Members

Hello, It's been a long, long, time since I've posted to the forums.  I'm doing a study and I'm seeking some general info as to the knowledge of "local church only" doctrine/teaching within IB ranks.

I know there is a related post/article on site but please ignore that for now.  

My question is:

Have you heard of a "local church only" doctrine/teaching? Does that phrase mean anything to you?

-or-

Are you familiar with what might be called a "local church only" position?  

Simply put, do you have knowledge of it and would you say it has importance in your beliefs? (No debate please.)

Thanks for your comments. 

• Administrators

Your question is not very clear. I think the prOBlem comes in with the word "only". Most people know what local church means, but the "only" part is unclear, at least to me anyway. Can you word your question in a different manner, even if it takes more words?

• Members

I know the question/phrase is a bit odd.  The phrase "local church only" is the exact phrase i'm asking about. Yes, I do understand it is unclear.  But that is indeed the "phrase" in question.  Sorry for the confusion.  My intent is to learn if IB's "know" that exact phrase,  "local church only," and if so, does it hold any meaning in their life.   I suspect "no, don't know it", will be the common answer.  It is a "niche" phrase.

I hope that helps.  

• Members

I agree that if it does not refer to the opposite of the "universal church" then I am not familiar with it, either.

Thanks Kitagrl...  If you listened to a sermon and heard a reference to "local church only" would you know what was meant... or would you be guessing only? Thanks again for your input.

(this question to all)

• Members

Though I've never heard the phrase, I would automatically think that phrase was meant in opposition to the idea of a universal church.

The only other view I could fathom would be in opposition to attending church outside of your local area. There are people who are against the idea of traveling any distance to attend a church; rather, their view is...this is the community that they live in; therefore, they should be part of a church in their own community that can have an influence in their own community. If there is no sound church in their community, they should start one.

• Moderators

Since Google is sometimes a friend of mine, I googled "Local church Onlyism".

Apparently, it is the idea that God ordained the local church to be the organization from which all God's work would flow, and thus, anything not out of a local church would be, in God's eyes, null and void.

The article I read was very much against this idea, as well as against anything called a 'local church', commenting primarily on a book by a fellow named B. Kirkland. From what I read, Kirkland is not particularly scriptural, either, in his understanding of the church.

So, be that as it may, apparently is is a theory that seems to have sprung from the local/universal argument and has expanded further.

Of course, we know the local church is the 'church' mentioned almost all the time in scripture, though a universal church idea is seen in some places, and is indeed true, except that it is not to be fully realized until that 'church' is fully assembled, since a church IS a called -out assembly. So, until we are ALL called out and assembled together, there is, technically, no universal church as of yet. At least that's how I would understand it..