• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Are You Familiar With "local Church Only"

• Members

Yes I have heard of it.  It is indeed the teaching that there is no "universal" church, and that the only church discussed and taught in the Bible is ONLY the Local Church.

Does this have any importance in my beliefs?

Yes, because it is wrong, so I must teach the "whole counsel of God" on the matter.

• Members

Thanks for the input...  and oh... googling is cheating!  :)   For those that haven't answered yet... - do you know what it is outside of looking it up and answers give here?

I think, so far, we see that it seems to be a niche teaching.... right?  Not very prominent... agreed?

• Moderators

If it's what Uke mentioned (ministries to be based out of local church), I have heard it taught that ministries should be out of the local church rather than being parachurch organizations - an idea which I thoroughly agree with it. I would say that idea is fairly accepted in my church circles. I've never heard it with 'local church only' as a recognizable label, though.

• Members

Yes, I have heard of it.  Indeed, I was raised with a "local church only" system of belief concerning the doctrine of the church.  In this teaching, the phrase "local church only" was used regularly.  As such, this system of belief was taught in opposition to a "universal church" system of belief.  Concerning my present system of belief, I yet hold to a modified form of the "local church only" system of belief which I was taught.

• Members

ah... interesting...   thanks

Yes, I have heard of it.  Indeed, I was raised with a "local church only" system of belief concerning the doctrine of the church.  In this teaching, the phrase "local church only" was used regularly.  As such, this system of belief was taught in opposition to a "universal church" system of belief.  Concerning my present system of belief, I yet hold to a modified form of the "local church only" system of belief which I was taught.

Interesting!  Thanks.

• Members

For a few months of my early christian life when I was still a baby Christian, I attended an "American Baptist" church who not only taught "local church only" but that local Church had to be able to trace it's church genealogy all the way back to Christ!  If you could not, then you had no authority to even call yourself a church at all.  Hard core "Baptist Briders".  This is definitely a heretical doctrine, and easily refuted in the Bible.  

I have seen some "lingering" effects of this doctrine in some IFB churches though because they will not sponsor a missionary who is part of a Missions Organization, whether that be BBF, ABWE, or a host of others.  I find they are being short sighted in this area, and are passing on some fabulous missionary work.  

Bro. Garry

• Members

I don't know if it is a "niche" teaching or not.  The term "IFB" encompasses such an enormous amount of real estate that it would be difficult to say how large or small of a group actually follows this teaching "hard core."  The IFB's I grew up around certainly did not believe it, allowing for the Bride of Christ in prospect.  However, if I remember correctly, it seems that the Hyles group were the most prominent ones to promote this doctrine (I could be wrong.) 

Having said that, just to clarify, I do believe in the primacy of the Local Church, meaning that it is the God-ordained institution that He has chosen to carry out His work in this age.

• Members

Hello 1611mac

I am somewhat concerned with how I identify myself(my doctrinal beliefs), so as to quickly and accurately explain to others where I stand. Years ago I realized that I was a “local Church/universal body” man.

But for me, this issue has been challenged lately, by some local IFB’s that take the stand that the Bible never uses the word “Church”, when talking about “the Body/bride of Christ”. They are wrong of course, but they are not “Baptist briders”.

Our view of “the Church” is important, because(just like with every other Bible doctrine), if we get it wrong, it will lead to even more doctrinal error.
------------------
As for the answer to your question; No, I have never heard the term “local church only”.
But could you tell me, have you ever heard the term, “local Church/universal body”?

• Members

Hello 1611mac

I am somewhat concerned with how I identify myself(my doctrinal beliefs), so as to quickly and accurately explain to others where I stand. Years ago I realized that I was a “local Church/universal body” man.

But for me, this issue has been challenged lately, by some local IFB’s that take the stand that the Bible never uses the word “Church”, when talking about “the Body/bride of Christ”. They are wrong of course, but they are not “Baptist briders”.

Our view of “the Church” is important, because(just like with every other Bible doctrine), if we get it wrong, it will lead to even more doctrinal error.
------------------
As for the answer to your question; No, I have never heard the term “local church only”.
But could you tell me, have you ever heard the term, “local Church/universal body”?

RE: local Church/universal body  - never heard it.  Interesting.

• Members

To all... The reason I am curious as to this issue is because I recently left my church due to it. 

I ask you to read these three articles in order and leave comment if you so choose:

1.) http://www.wayoflife.org/index_files/are_you_baptist_brider.html

2.) (page two) http://www.bbc-cromwell.org/Updates/BBCUpdate101513.pdf

3.) http://www.wayoflife.org/index_files/iron_sharpening_iron_review_of_strouse.html

Edited by 1611mac

• Moderators

I'm getting confused... is the idea put forth in these documents that the local church only position (as opposed to universal church) is the equivalent of the baptist brider position? Or that it shouldn't be?

What a muddle. I confess that I'm not 100% solid on how the doctrine of the local church (vs a 'universal' church) is supposed to work. OBviously one cannot have a universal church on which church discipline is enacted, and the organization for churches in the Bible is always on the local level. On the other hand, exactly how many bodies does Christ have? The Bible says He is the Head of the Church (singular) - not multiple heads!  I'm going to have to read through those documents more thoroughly when I have time and compare what they are saying to Scripture. Either way, I don't really think it's a huge issue to separate over. I'd separate from Briders, ecclesiastically speaking, but does it really matter whether one believes solely in a local church or in the existence of a current or future universal church - just so long as they believe in the independent liberty of that local church to serve God as they see fit?

• Members

Salyan.....  

referring to prev post...

To all... The reason I am curious as to this issue is because I recently left my church due to it. 

I ask you to read these three articles in order and leave comment if you so choose:

1.) http://www.wayoflife.org/index_files/are_you_baptist_brider.html

2.) (page two) http://www.bbc-cromwell.org/Updates/BBCUpdate101513.pdf

3.) http://www.wayoflife.org/index_files/iron_sharpening_iron_review_of_strouse.html

Bro. Cloud wrote article #1.  Bro. Strouse rebutted with #2.  Bro. Cloud replied to the rebuttal with #3.  Bro. Strouse is what some call "local church only."  Bro. Cloud holds my particular view which is explained well in both Bro. Cloud's articles. 

What troubles me is the very narrow view of the "local church only" people as expressed in article #2.  With some of them, if you don't join with them 100%, then you are are the same place as the protestant who holds the 100% Universal Church view.

I

• Members

I don't know if it is a "niche" teaching or not. The term "IFB" encompasses such an enormous amount of real estate that it would be difficult to say how large or small of a group actually follows this teaching "hard core." The IFB's I grew up around certainly did not believe it, allowing for the Bride of Christ in prospect. However, if I remember correctly, it seems that the Hyles group were the most prominent ones to promote this doctrine (I could be wrong.)
Having said that, just to clarify, I do believe in the primacy of the Local Church, meaning that it is the God-ordained institution that He has chosen to carry out His work in this age.

When Dean Miller, who I believe is openly a Brider, spoke at a conference at HAC, the after math damage control was to explain the Brider position, and iterate that it was not Hyles-Anderson College, nor FBCH's position.
Of course, having been there, the students' positions were as varied as a true cross-section of Baptists would be, so the Briders were there.
But Hyles was a Southern Baptist, and the church was Northern Baptist Conventional, not American Baptist, so we had a whole slew of built in heresy, Brider not being one of them.