• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

A Joke That Is Not Funny

Donald

• Members

One day years ago, I was talking to a preacher friend of mine about soul winning and the subject of Election came up; At this point he quoted some famous preacher that had once said, .. “The more I win souls, the more people get Elected!”...

Now, this is funny; Until you think about what might be really happening!
(This preacher, may be getting professions, by hook or by crook.)
Therefore, these people may not be getting saved at all.

Someone might ask, ... “Is there a wrong way to get professions?”
I am sure some of you might disagree, but when we are dishonest with our presentation of the Gospel, this could be called the “wrong way”!

When “I say” dishonest, I am not talking about watering down the Gospel(this is wrong): What I am talking about is, twisting or tweaking Scripture in such a way, that it “tugs on heart strings” and manipulates people to make professions.
------------------------
Note: This is a very important issue(question), to me, because I don't have all the answers and am looking for some Biblical answers in this area.

First of all, we can’t win souls....
“I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.” (1 Corinthians 3:6)

But.... “Is there a wrong way to get professions of faith?”

• Administrators

One day years ago, I was talking to a preacher friend of mine about soul winning and the subject of Election came up; At this point he quoted some famous preacher that had once said, .. “The more I win souls, the more people get Elected!”...

Now, this is funny; Until you think about what might be really happening!
(This preacher, may be getting professions, by hook or by crook.)
Therefore, these people may not be getting saved at all.

Someone might ask, ... “Is there a wrong way to get professions?”
I am sure some of you might disagree, but when we are dishonest with our presentation of the Gospel, this could be called the “wrong way”!

When “I say” dishonest, I am not talking about watering down the Gospel(this is wrong): What I am talking about is, twisting or tweaking Scripture in such a way, that it “tugs on heart strings” and manipulates people to make professions.
------------------------
Note: This is a very important issue(question), to me, because I don't have all the answers and am looking for some Biblical answers in this area.

First of all, we can’t win souls....
“I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.” (1 Corinthians 3:6)

But.... “Is there a wrong way to get professions of faith?”

Donald, we just had a good discussion on this issue. Click >here to see it.

• Members

Some use emotionalism to elicit a response. If the response to "accept Christ into your heart" or "say this prayer" is based upon the emotionalism rather than a repentant heart truly surrendering to Christ, then we have folks making false professions in a most dangerous way.

I say most dangerous because these people likely believe they are now saved and those often become much harder to reach with the Gospel.

Meanwhile, those who use such emotional appeals are counting "professions" and in some churches this wins them much acclaim as a great soul winner.

We must be very careful to present the biblical Gospel, not sugar coating things, not playing to emotions, but presenting the true Gospel.

Recall how Christ once "lost" many of His followers because He was so clear with them about the cost of following Him. Jesus didn't pull punches, sugar coat the message, play on their emotions, He told people the truth.

When Christ told the rich young man he needed to give all he had to the poor and then follow Him and the rich young man turned away we don't see Christ calling him back and offering a softer, gentler appeal. Christ presented that man with the truth and left it up to him.

• Members

Some use emotionalism to elicit a response. If the response to "accept Christ into your heart" or "say this prayer" is based upon the emotionalism rather than a repentant heart truly surrendering to Christ, then we have folks making false professions in a most dangerous way.

I say most dangerous because these people likely believe they are now saved and those often become much harder to reach with the Gospel.

Meanwhile, those who use such emotional appeals are counting "professions" and in some churches this wins them much acclaim as a great soul winner.

We must be very careful to present the biblical Gospel, not sugar coating things, not playing to emotions, but presenting the true Gospel.

Recall how Christ once "lost" many of His followers because He was so clear with them about the cost of following Him. Jesus didn't pull punches, sugar coat the message, play on their emotions, He told people the truth.

When Christ told the rich young man he needed to give all he had to the poor and then follow Him and the rich young man turned away we don't see Christ calling him back and offering a softer, gentler appeal. Christ presented that man with the truth and left it up to him.

If that Rich young ruler gave all, he woulda went to Hell broke.

Jesus wasn't telling him what he had to do to be saved, he was showing him that he wasn't righteous, inspight of his desire to justify himself....always fulfiling the role of stumblingblock.

• Members

I was assuming, I know that's not something we should always do, that everyone in this IFB section would already understand that. Jesus was pointing out to the man what really held his heart and what was separating him from God. That was a matter he needed to address first, which would fall under repentance.

• Members

I was assuming, I know that's not something we should always do, that everyone in this IFB section would already understand that. Jesus was pointing out to the man what really held his heart and what was separating him from God. That was a matter he needed to address first, which would fall under repentance.

That should be a safe assumption. ......

Archived