• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Historians Trace The Earliest Church Labeled "baptist" Back To 1609

beameup

• Members

Baptists are individuals who comprise a group of denominations and churches that subscribe to a doctrine that baptism should be performed only for professing believers (believer's baptism, as opposed to infant baptism), and that it must be done by complete immersion (as opposed to affusion or sprinkling). Other tenets of Baptist churches include soul competency (liberty), salvation through faith alone, Scripture alone as the rule of faith and practice, and the autonomy of the local congregation. Baptists recognize two ministerial offices, pastors and deacons. Baptist churches are widely considered to be Protestant churches, though some Baptists disavow this identity.

Diverse from their beginning, those identifying as Baptists today differ widely from one another in what they believe, how they worship, their attitudes toward other Christians, and their understanding of what is important in Christian discipleship.

WikiPedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baptists

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You would do well to find a more reliable source than the totally unacceptable source of wikipedia.

You consistently only have criticism to "offer" and never post any original posts.  Are you a "poser", or perhaps just "trolling"?

*** you are ignoring this user ***

Hear counsel, and receive instruction, that thou mayest be wise in thy latter end.  Prov 19:20

• Members

I've been here since 2005, my credentials are well established.

Wikipedia, which can be altered virtually at will by anyone, is not considered a valid source of reliable information. This is commonly known.

As Scripture says, am I now your enemy because I tell you the truth?

• Members

This topic, placed on this forum, placed before these particular people, is placed here for one reason and one reason only. To pick a fight. You, Sir, are a false brother slipped in among believers who are like-minded among themselves, and you are here for the sole purpose of sowing discord among the brethren. Your doctrine is unBiblical, your spirit is ungracious and your purpose has been unmasked by your own hand.

The Wikipedia definition is beneath addressing.

• Administrators

Beam,

You have just made it abundantly clear that you have never studied Baptist history. Might I suggest some real Baptist history books instead of Wiki.

You might start with something small and concise like: The Trail Of Blood. Very easy to understand, written by those who have made Baptist church history their life's work. It even has pictures!!!  :coverlaugh:

• Members

So, as usual, you have absolutely nothing to offer.

This clearly demonstrates that you have zero knowledge of Church history.

My IFB pastor is sitting across from me (I'm at his house).  He is a graduate of BOB Jones (1976) with specialization in Church History.

• Members

Beam,

You have just made it abundantly clear that you have never studied Baptist history. Might I suggest some real Baptist history books instead of Wiki.

You might start with something small and concise like: The Trail Of Blood. Very easy to understand, written by those who have made Baptist church history their life's work. It even has pictures!!!  :coverlaugh:

You have made it abundantly clear that you lack knowledge of Church history.

My IFB pastor is sitting across from me (I'm at his house). 

He is a graduate of BOB Jones (1976) with specialization in Church History.

Dear brother, you need to provide specific proof that the Baptist church was the "original church" (I'm assuming 1st Century).

• Members

You have made it abundantly clear that you lack knowledge of Church history.

My IFB pastor is sitting across from me (I'm at his house). 

He is a graduate of BOB Jones (1976) with specialization in Church History.

Ummm... hate to break this to you, but BOB Jones is not, nor has it ever been, a Baptist University. It is listed as "a private, non-denominational Protestant university" by....wait for it... wait for it .... Wikipedia!!!!! :nuts::nuts::nuts:

• Members

Baptists in Pre-Reformation Times

http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?SID=1130617535

1. www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?SID=1130617535   Cached
    Royce Smith | Covenant Baptist Church ... “ Great Historical Message ” This message is full of historical information about the history of Baptists.

• Members

Ummm... hate to break this to you, but BOB Jones is not, nor has it ever been, a Baptist University. It is listed as "a private, non-denominational Protestant university" 

The pastor was ordained by a student/disciple of J. Frank Norris.  The joke is on you.

Archived