• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Why Men Sometimes Don't Understand Women Shopping

2bLikeJesus

• Members

That's one of the big prOBlems with American businesses looking at the short term rather than the long term.

There used to be an certain amount of patriotism among American businessmen. They considered themselves to be American businessmen and conducted their business as such and typically thought long term. That all changed in the second half of the 20th century when nationality came to mean little or nothing to most business men. Their only concern was profit and the business model switched from long-term focus to short term.

How foolish to base business decisions upon quarterly reports?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

American business and corporate mindset made simple.

A Japanese company and an American company decided to have a canoe race on the Missouri River.  Both teams practiced long and hard to reach their peak performance before the race.

On the big day, the Japanese won by a mile.

The American's, very discouraged and depressed, decided to investigate the reason for the crushing defeat.  A management team made up of senior management was formed to investigate and recommend
appropriate action.

Their conclusion was the Japanese had 8 people rowing and 1 person steering, while the American's had 8 people steering and 1 person rowing.

So the American management hired a consulting company and paid them a large amount of money for a second opinion.  They advised that too many people were steering the boat, while not enough people were
rowing.

To prevent another loss to the Japanese, the rowing team's management structure was totally reorganized to 4 steering supervisors, 3 area steering superintendents, and 1 assistant superintendent
steering manager.  They also implemented a new performance system that would give the 1 person rowing the boat greater incentive to work harder.  It was called the "Rowing Team Quality First Program", with
meetings, dinners and free pens for the rower. 

There was a discussion of getting new paddles, canoes, and other equipment.  Extra vacation days for practices and bonuses.  

The next year the Japanese won by 2 miles.

Humiliated, the American management laid off the rower for poor performance, halted development of a new canoe, sold the paddles, and canceled all capital investments for new equipment.  The money saved was
distributed to the Teachers and College professors as bonuses, and the next year's racing team was outsourced to India.

To true to be funny... :laff cry:

• Moderators

oh bummer

Salyan order from Blair.com on line or Bonworth.com

I've tried Blair before.... $49 shipping fee to ship to Canada. We aren't that far away!! Hadn't heard of Bonworth before - I'll check that out!

• Moderators

Haha... Bonworth doesn't ship to Canada. Story of my life. See why it's hard to get nice skirts up here? :wink

I have a friend that got married and moved to North Dakota. She very graciously serves as a kind of post office for her friends/family from up here. We'll order stuff and have it shipped to her house - then whoever visits next brings it back! Kind of slow but oh-so-nice to have access to goods that aren't available/affordable to have shipped up here.

• Members

Shipping costs often prevents me from ordering things. This is especially the case when it's clear they are charging way more for shipping than necessary. That's why they most often call those fees "shipping AND handling" fees. Just a means to try and skirt the fact they are gouging for extra money. Those who "handle" the merchandise are already being paid for that jOB.

I try to use places that offer free shipping or wait until other sites have special free shipping times.

• Members

Paying for Amazon prime has always been worth it for me.  It gets you free 2 day shipping on most of what they sell, access to thousands of movies, books, shows, and music for free and if you own a Kindle you have a lending library.  I order so much from amazon, the free shipping more than pays for my annual membership.

Archived