• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Victoria Osteen: It's All About You!

No Nicolaitans

• Members

Well, for a very long time it's been OBvious that as far as they are concerned, it's all about them. It seems they are just now being more open about it and inviting everyone else to join in their self-centered religion of "I deserve to be happy".

• Members

1 Timothy 2:12 and 1 Corinthians 14:34 must not be in their bible. Then again....I don't think they use a bible.

It would be poetic justice if everyone in that arena decided they would be happier if they didn't put anything in the offering plate and they had to shut the doors.

Notice they hardly ever mention Jesus it's always God.

• Members

The term "God" is generally more acceptable as that can be used and viewed in very generic terms by many. On the other hand, "Jesus" is viewed as divisive, intolerant, offensive.

The folks that flock to this couple are mostly there for the same reason the Osteens are; they want those blessings. So they give in order to receive, ever hoping for that hundredfold return in the form of cash.

Thankfully, I won't be listening to the Osteens this morning. I'll be attending our home church and hearing our pastor preach some meat from the Word of God.

Oh, and I most certainly will hear the name of Jesus many times and speak His name myself as we gather to praise Him and grow in Him.

• Members

This came up in Sunday school today as we came upon verses dealing with false teachers, ungodly talk, twisting away of the Scriptures. This also led to discussions of the danger coming from those who teach there is no trinity, that there is just God the Father who can alter Himself to be the Son or Spirit when He needs to. Also, the false teaching that people used to be saved by works; as well as 7th Day Adventists OBsession with Saturday, and some other false teachings common today.

Our pastor pointed out that Scripture says not to waste our time arguing with those of this sort. If they reject the truth after we have presented it to them a time or two, it's time to separate from them.

False teachers are too tolerated today and too often engaged in endless debates. Shake the dust off your feet, it's time to move on, leaving the blind to stumble among themselves.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

:01nocomment8so:

Joel Osteen: Moses Saw Sun Stand Still for Joshua, Hebrews Thrown in Fiery Furnace
September 20, 2014 | Filed under: Apostasy,Life & Society,Top Stories | By: Heather Clark

Author and megachurch speaker Joel Osteen raised eyebrows this week when he wrote on his popular Facebook page that Moses was present to see the sun stand still under Joshua’s leadership and that he witnessed the Hebrew boys being thrown into the fiery furnace.

“God said in Numbers 11:23, ‘Moses, is there any limit to My power?’ Osteen, leader of the 43,000 member Lakewood Church, posted on Monday, and then proceeded to expound. “He was saying, ‘Moses, you saw Me part the Red Sea, stop the sun for Joshua, keep three Hebrew teenagers safe in a fiery furnace, don’t you realize that I can bring water without rain?’ There’s no limit to God’s power.”

The status received over 317,000 likes from his more than 8 million followers, and was shared over 52,000 times. A number of followers also agreed heartily with Osteen’s teaching in the comments section.

However, some began to notice that there was something not quite right about Osteen’s statement: Moses was dead when two out of the three cited events occurred.

“People! Moses was long dead before any of these things happened!” one commenter named Josh wrote. “You actually trust this man to be a solid teacher when he doesn’t even know something this basic?”

“Moses wasn’t even around when the sun stood still for Joshua; by that time, Moses was dead. And neither was he around when the Hebrew boys were put in the furnace,” wrote another named Leah. “Joel Osteen Ministries and the rest of y’all who gave them an amen, do any of y’all even read the Bible?”

A follower named Pamela also caught a third error in Osteen’s statement: Moses wasn’t seeking God for water in Numbers 11, but rather food.

“Moses wasn’t praying for rain, the people of Israel were asking for meat instead of manna in Numbers 11:23,” she wrote.

While all agreed that Osteen’s exhortation that “there is no limit to God’s power” is true, some were concerned about the megachurch leader’s knowledge of the Scriptures.

“You’d think a preacher of all people would know what’s actually in the Bible,” wrote a commenter named Steven. “Apparently that’s just wayyyy too much to ask.”

But others were also concerned that hundreds of thousands of followers saw nothing wrong with Osteen’s post.

“Oh man, 314,021 likes,” wrote a commenter named Alex.

“The same people who think Joel Osteen is a legitimate teacher of God’s word are the same people who, like him, either don’t read the Bible or read it with flawed, man-centered presuppositions,” added a man named Joshua. “This guy has been teaching for how long? How many people have liked this post?”

One follower asked that Osteen delete the post, advising that it would be “weird” to leave it online. The status now no longer appears on Joel Osteen Ministries’ Facebook page, but is accessible in a cached version.

As previously reported, Osteen’s wife Victoria also came under criticism in recent weeks after a video clip surfaced of the “co-pastor” exhorting the congregation that OBedience and worship aren’t as much for God as they are for self-happiness.

“I just want to encourage every one of us to realize when we OBey God, we’re not doing it for God—I mean, that’s one way to look at it—we’re doing it for ourselves, because God takes pleasure when we’re happy,” she declared in the undated 36-second clip with her husband standing by her side and nodding. “That’s the thing that gives Him the greatest joy…”

“So, I want you to know this morning: Just do good for your own self. Do good because God wants you to be happy,” Osteen continues. “When you come to church, when you worship Him, you’re not doing it for God really. You’re doing it for yourself, because that’s what makes God happy. Amen?”

After online outrage erupted over her comments, Osteen issued a statement outlining that while she “could have been more articulate” in her teaching, “I stand by my point that when we worship God and are OBedient to Him we will be better for it.”

http://christiannews.net/2014/09/20/joel-osteen-moses-saw-sun-stand-still-for-joshua-hebrews-thrown-in-fiery-furnace/

• Members

The more these sort get full of themselves, the less effort they put into trying to be at least somewhat careful of what they say. They have strayed so far from the Bible they likely don't even remember what they once knew.

Their followers are so in love with them and their "positive, encouraging messages" they simply take whatever they say as okay.

There has never been any real depth to Osteen's preaching, teaching or messages and his followers have been fine with that. They are attracted to the Osteen's because they want their ears tickled, they want to hear motivational messages, not sound biblical preaching.

Our local library has Osteen's books so a couple summers ago during the summer reading program I read each of them. They were all watered down messages but I did notice the first book was the "best" of the bunch and each book following was progressively worse in terms of being watered down and motivational speaking in nature.

There is no meat in their messages and precious little milk. It's mostly feel good, tickle the ears talk with little regard for truth.

• Moderators

This reminds me much of John Piper's so-called Christian Hedonism, the idea that all we do, even in our initial seeking of Jesus for salvation, is to be happy. That all we do, is to be happy, and that this is just fine for God.

Of course, certainly, a believer will be happy, and serving our Lord makes us happy, but happiness is an emotion that comes and goes, while joy remains, even in times of difficulty and, yes, sorrow.

Christian hedonism fits perfectly with today's rock and roll churches, with Joel Osteen's "do it all for yourself" theology, and Rick Warren's 'poll the people and see what they want and do it their way, not God's" teachings. Its dangerous stuff that makes the creature ruler over the Creator.

• Members

My heart is heavy burden by persecution  I'm mocked and vexed sore Yet I continue sharing the Saviors love he gave upon a cross on Calvary's hill  continually on my knees in prayer I pray that not one lost soul perish trusting in Jesus as their savior for I do not know when the Savior may come and All hope has gone

Thank you lord for the Joy of my Salvation 

Archived