• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Nt Giving

prophet1

• Members

I hope everyone is reading this thread. I don't mean to side-track it, but I was thinking about something last night that I'd like to share.

As prophet1 is pointing out, the only examples of giving for New Testament believers are to provide for other Christians in need. As SFIC has pointed out, we aren't bound by the law of tithing.

There is a correlation though.

What was the tithe for? Though the Old Testament tithe wasn't money, the tithe was food products and was used to take care of the needs of others...to feed the Levites, widows, orphans, and strangers in the land of Israel. It was isolated in (and applied to) the geographic location of Israel only.

As Christians, we aren't isolated to one geographic location. We can help meet the needs of other Christians in our church, in our town, in our county, in our state, in our country, in our hemisphere, and even around the world.

I think people have wrongly applied the meaning of the tithe as giving 10% of your income to the church. If anything, the tithe should teach us...not to give 10% of our income, but it should teach us the principle of taking care of the needs of other believers...and that is the message we get from the New Testament. We are free to give what we purpose, not a set amount or percentage. And what we give should first and foremost be used to take care of others. That is the message we get from the New Testament.

prophet1, if you want me to remove this, just let me know.

You are just summing up what is being revealed through the Scripture.

All may prophesy.

• Members

1Co 16:1-3
1 Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye.
2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.
3 And when I come, whomsoever ye shall approve by your letters, them will I send to bring your liberality unto Jerusalem.

• Members

I hope everyone is reading this thread. I don't mean to side-track it, but I was thinking about something last night that I'd like to share.

As prophet1 is pointing out, the only examples of giving for New Testament believers are to provide for other Christians in need. As SFIC has pointed out, we aren't bound by the law of tithing.

There is a correlation though. 

What was the tithe for? Though the Old Testament tithe wasn't money, the tithe was food products and was used to take care of the needs of others...to feed the Levites, widows, orphans, and strangers in the land of Israel. It was isolated in (and applied to) the geographic location of Israel only.

As Christians, we aren't isolated to one geographic location. We can help meet the needs of other Christians in our church, in our town, in our county, in our state, in our country, in our hemisphere, and even around the world. 

I think people have wrongly applied the meaning of the tithe as giving 10% of your income to the church. If anything, the tithe should teach us...not to give 10% of our income, but it should teach us the principle of taking care of the needs of other believers...and that is the message we get from the New Testament. We are free to give what we purpose, not a set amount or percentage. And what we give should first and foremost be used to take care of others. That is the message we get from the New Testament.

prophet1, if you want me to remove this, just let me know.

Amen. Both of you. It is a true sadness to think about how many faithful "tithing" church members today will still never know the joy of giving, because in their heart they are not really giving, but simply paying their religious taxes, or dues.

• Members
Amen. Both of you. It is a true sadness to think about how many faithful "tithing" church members today will still never know the joy of giving, because in their heart they are not really giving, but simply paying their religious taxes, or dues.
One of the worst offenses, is when people are told that they are under a threat of a curse, if they don't "tithe". The sinister false minister uses suggestive planting, like a palm reader, to convince his victims that any of their financial woes are the result of somehow under "tithing", or rOBbing God. Then, they rOB the person of the blessing that they would receive, were they meeting the needs of fellow Saints, by taking the money that they innocently donate, and spending it building an empire.

• Members

When they are successful using their "rOBbing God" and threats of "Curses" tactics, what they have revealed themselves to be is extortioners.

They are OBtaining money "through force, fear, or under color of official right". The very definition of extortion as defined by Law.

Extortion:  The OBtaining of property from another induced by wrongful use of actual or threatened force, violence, or fear, or under color of official right.

• Members

2Co 9:6-8
6 But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.
7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity:for God loveth a cheerful giver.
8 And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:

• Members

2Co 9:12
12 For the administration of this service not only supplieth the want of the saints, but is abundant also by many thanksgivings unto God;

Our giving is supposed to fill the needs of Saints, and cause thanksgiving unto God in those Saints.

• Members

2Co 11:8-12
8 I rOBbed other churches, taking wages of them, to do you service.
9 And when I was present with you, and wanted, I was chargeable to no man:for that which was lacking to me the brethren which came from Macedonia supplied:and in all things I have kept myself from being burdensome unto you, and so will I keep myself.
10 As the truth of Christ is in me, no man shall stop me of this boasting in the regions of Achaia.
11 Wherefore? because I love you not? God knoweth.
12 But what I do, that I will do, that I may cut off occasion from them which desire occasion; that wherein they glory, they may be found even as we.

Paul took no money from the church at Corinth, even though he stayed there for months and taught them, because of those who would boast of their ministering to him.
So, he lived on the support from Macedonian churches, on that trip.

Archived