• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Nt Giving

prophet1

• Members

Act 4:34-35
34 Neither was there any among them that lacked:for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the prices of the things that were sold,
35 And laid them down at the apostles 'feet:and distribution was made unto every man according as he had need.

Instance #2

Saints' needs.

• Members

Act 11:29-30
29 Then the disciples, every man according to his ability, determined to send relief unto the brethren which dwelt in Judaea:
30 Which also they did, and sent it to the elders by the hands of Barnabas and Saul.

#3...

• Members

Act 4:34-35
34 Neither was there any among them that lacked:for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the prices of the things that were sold,
35 And laid them down at the apostles 'feet:and distribution was made unto every man according as he had need.

Instance #2

Saints' needs.

I'll just about bet that no one does that today.

We argue and complain over the tenth (tithe) imagine if your pastor preached on giving it all to the church.

We would label him a cult leader and a communist.

Sad how far things have moved in the past 2,000 years or so. I'm looking at this from a faith and trust prospective.

Do you think we could even find anyone trustworthy to handle ALL the money in the church. I mean if you sold everything you have and took the moeny to the church would you have faith to leave it with your pastor. Would you have a giving nature and attitude of service to work and supply for the needs of those who don't work.

I sadly admit to you all that I don't think I could do that.

Thank God daily for mercy and grace. Lord increase my faith.

• Members

Act 20:33-35
33 I have coveted no man's silver, or gold, or apparel.
34 Yea, ye yourselves know, that these hands have ministered unto my necessities, and to them that were with me.
35 I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.

Here Paul is establishing the first precedent.

Prior to that, you had Jews selling their inherited possessions and lands.
This was symbolic of the doing away with the Law, as well.

They sold all of their possesssions, that were going to be taken from them soon by the government if they had not.

Now , Paul comes along, and works, to provide for his and others needs, and commands us to do the same.

Eph 4:28
28 Let him that stole steal no more:but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.

• Members

Act 6:1-4
1 And in those days, when the number of the disciples was multiplied, there arose a murmuring of the Grecians against the Hebrews, because their widows were neglected in the daily ministration.
2 Then the twelve called the multitude of the disciples unto them, and said, It is not reason that we should leave the word of God, and serve tables.
3 Wherefore, brethren, look ye out among you seven men of honest report, full of the Holy Ghost and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business.
4 But we will give ourselves continually to prayer, and to the ministry of the word.

Here, the purpose for deacons is established.
They are to oversee the distribution of the collected giving.

• Members

Act 10:4
4 And when he looked on him, he was afraid, and said, What is it, Lord? And he said unto him, Thy prayers and thine alms are come up for a memorial before God.

An aside.

Here is a Gentile, commended for alms giving, not paying tithes.

• Members

Act 11:28-30
28 And there stood up one of them named Agabus, and signified by the Spirit that there should be great dearth throughout all the world:which came to pass in the days of Claudius Caesar.
29 Then the disciples, every man according to his ability, determined to send relief unto the brethren which dwelt in Judaea:
30 Which also they did, and sent it to the elders by the hands of Barnabas and Saul.

Next instance of NT giving:
Surprise, surprise...to the needs of Saints.

• Members

Rom 15:25-28
25 But now I go unto Jerusalem to minister unto the saints.
26 For it hath pleased them of Macedonia and Achaia to make a certain contribution for the poor saints which are at Jerusalem.
27 It hath pleased them verily; and their debtors they are. For if the Gentiles have been made partakers of their spiritual things, their duty is also to minister unto them in carnal things.
28 When therefore I have performed this, and have sealed to them this fruit, I will come by you into Spain.

• Members

I hope everyone is reading this thread. I don't mean to side-track it, but I was thinking about something last night that I'd like to share.

As prophet1 is pointing out, the only examples of giving for New Testament believers are to provide for other Christians in need. As SFIC has pointed out, we aren't bound by the law of tithing.

There is a correlation though. 

What was the tithe for? Though the Old Testament tithe wasn't money, the tithe was food products and was used to take care of the needs of others...to feed the Levites, widows, orphans, and strangers in the land of Israel. It was isolated in (and applied to) the geographic location of Israel only.

As Christians, we aren't isolated to one geographic location. We can help meet the needs of other Christians in our church, in our town, in our county, in our state, in our country, in our hemisphere, and even around the world. 

I think people have wrongly applied the meaning of the tithe as giving 10% of your income to the church. If anything, the tithe should teach us...not to give 10% of our income, but it should teach us the principle of taking care of the needs of other believers...and that is the message we get from the New Testament. We are free to give what we purpose, not a set amount or percentage. And what we give should first and foremost be used to take care of others. That is the message we get from the New Testament.

prophet1, if you want me to remove this, just let me know.

Archived