Online Baptist Community

Wow, God Is Really Serious About This

Rate this topic

2bLikeJesus

• Independent Fundamental Baptist

Wow. So let's just cut James out of our Bibles. And all the rest that is "just for Israel."  SMH.  

Happy, sarcasm is not necessary and it is a belittling comment.

who does the brother of John the beloved say he is writing too?

Jas 1:1 ¶ James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes

If we're going to "rightly divide" this way...let's at least be consistent.

The Book of Romans only applied to the Romans.

The Books of 1 and 2 Corinthians only applied to the Corinthians.

Philippians only applied to the Philippians.

1 and 2 Timothy only applied to Timothy.

etc...

the correct doctrinal verses for the church come from Romans, Corinthians, Philippians.  You could use parts of Matthew or James as support verses but not for establishment of a doctrine for the church of God.

First lesson of right division is asking who it is speaking to historical and doctrinally?  Israel

And even those statutes and ordinances give us a glimpse into the mind of God and are therefore profitable.  

I never said the church of God could not profit from them I only pointed out they are directed doctrinally and historically and possibly prophetically to Israel.

Edited by AVBibleBeliever

I get the opinion some of you couldn't really rightly divide yourself out of a paper bag with the assumptions you jump too without OBserving the context and answering the 6 W's and 1 H questions before you make your attempts to RD.

Edited by AVBibleBeliever

• Lady Administrators

Happy, sarcasm is not necessary and it is a belittling comment.

who does the brother of John the beloved say he is writing too?

Jas 1:1 ¶ James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes

For starters, my comment was not sarcasm. It was an OBservation.  And it wasn't belittling.  Stop trying to moderate the forum, AVBB.  Okay? 

You know, I can read. I know that the book was originally written to the 12 tribes. But you are fooling yourself if you believe that it doesn't apply to us.  It does, whether you or anyone else likes it or not.  As do the gospels and the OT.  Whether it's for instruction, pictorial instruction, parable, principle, command, etc.

I'm kinda tired of folks who try to parse scripture and tell us what applies to our lives as Christians and what doesn't.  God's Word is God's Word and everything within it has something to teach us.  Now, if you think that's belittling, that's up to you. I'm thinking mayhap God thinks some folks - some on this forum even - belittle His Word.

• Moderators

...sarcasm is not necessary and it is a belittling comment.

I get the opinion some of you couldn't really rightly divide yourself out of a paper bag with the assumptions you jump too without OBserving the context and answering the 6 W's and 1 H questions before you make your attempts to RD.

Speaking of belittling, the latter quote is a fine example of the former comment.

I never said the church of God could not profit from them I only pointed out they are directed doctrinally and historically and possibly prophetically to Israel.

16All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.   II Timothy 3:16

Is it directed doctrinally to Israel or can I use it?  There is alot directed historically to Israel but we would not be doing ourselves much good to ignore.

Since we are only supposed to get our doctrine from Paul's writings, let's see what Paul has to say about this...

1 Corinthians 10:6-11
6  Now these things were our examples, to the intent we should not lust after evil things, as they also lusted.
7  Neither be ye idolaters, as were some of them; as it is written, The people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play.
8  Neither let us commit fornication, as some of them committed, and fell in one day three and twenty thousand.
9  Neither let us tempt Christ, as some of them also tempted, and were destroyed of serpents.

10  Neither murmur ye, as some of them also murmured, and were destroyed of the destroyer.
11  Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.

Interesting...Paul uses the Old Testament to warn the Gentile-Corinthian church.

Even telling them not to do the things that Israel did.

Even quoted the Old Testament to them in verse 7!

Even said those examples were FOR us!

Edited by No Nicolaitans

God is very serious about caring for the widows and orphans, and not offending them or others.  Earlier, I quoted one verse from Matthew 18, but the entire chapter is Jesus (God) talking about not offending people and the consequences of doing so. Look at the end of Matthew 17, where Jesus instructs Peter to pay their tribute, so they won't offend "them". Matthew 17:27 Notwithstanding, lest we should offend them, go thou to the sea, and cast an hook, and take up the fish that first cometh up; and when thou hast opened his mouth, thou shalt find a piece of money: that take, and give unto them for me and thee. 

Then chapter 18 continues the theme of not offending others and listing the consequences if one chooses to offend. 

**Edited to keep on track of the original topic. Sorry to have aided in derailing the thread.

Edited by 利百加 (Li Bai Jia)

• Members

I would agree to an extent, Li. We can learn from the Old Testament. But that should be a learning that points to the cross and to grace.

Pastors should not be preaching the Old Testament Mosaic Law as something that
God commands us to OBey today. Sadly, many Churches, even IFB Churches, teach OBedience to the Law that was never meant for them. When they do so, they tempt God and they subvert the souls of their congregation.

Pastors should not be preaching the Old Testament Mosaic Law as something that God commands us to OBey today. Sadly, many Churches, even IFB Churches, teach OBedience to the Law that was never meant for them. When they do so, they tempt God and they subvert the souls of their congregation.

Like the 10% tithe maybe? Or woman in pants while men still wear woolen jerseys? Or the subversion of woman as a lesser and inferior species? How about kingdom now and prosperity? The list can go on as to how the Word has been misinterpreted by those who should be rightly dividing.

I would agree to an extent, Li. We can learn from the Old Testament. But that should be a learning that points to the cross and to grace.

Pastors should not be preaching the Old Testament Mosaic Law as something that
God commands us to OBey today. Sadly, many Churches, even IFB Churches, teach OBedience to the Law that was never meant for them. When they do so, they tempt God and they subvert the souls of their congregation.

This is a doctrine.

We don't want doctrine.

We want to rip verses out of context (wrongly divide), spiritualize non-applicable instructions, recast the stumbling block that Israel fell over.

This all sounds familiar.

Wait, I know where I've heard it before, RCC Replacement Theology.
The Church replaced Israel.
Sure.
Thanks to the Fundamentalist Movement, all kinds of RCC false doctrine has infiltrated the Baptists.
We read books about "great Christians"...Protestant Catholics .
We lift up "heroes of the faith", who believed in Lordship Repentance, Loss of Salvation, Works regeneration, and most of all...replacement theology.

So put those silly Gentiles back in the yoke, that Israel could never bear.

Throw away your cotton blend shirts, damn you if you've eaten shrimp, stone your kids to death, for sassing Mom, and wave your food at God before you eat, when your brethren pay tithes to you.

Or, realize that your Law is "love the LORD thy God with all thy heart, and thy neighbor as thyself", and that is it.

Avoid a few things, conduct assembly by the instructions given, and pray for all of the Saints.

Going back to the opening post... there's a church in town that has a single/divorced/widowed mom's day once a year. they change their oil check other things in cars, wash cars, get massages, manicures and lots of other stuff. I was tempted to go this year.