• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Wow, God Is Really Serious About This

2bLikeJesus

• Members

A few days ago a couple of people stopped by the church on their way to work. They had to walk and it was very hot even at that time of morning. They had run out of water in the one water bottle they had and just wanted to refill it with cold water. I let them refill it it from the jug in the refrigerator and then gave them some money. It wasn't a lot of money, but it was enough for them to buy another jug of water and lunch for the two of them. 

Both the man and woman were wearing dirty clothes and had betel nut (type of chewing tOBacco) stained teeth and mouths, I could have very easily just told them I had no cold water available and not given them any money since they didn't ask for any(and assuming they might just spend it on more betel nut at the shop at the end of the block). But what kind of testimony would that have been? How would I have shown them the love of God by ignoring them? Will they ever return to the church for a service because I showed kindness? I have no idea. Would God have punished me if I had ignored them? Will God bless me for helping them? Again I don't know, and it really doesn't matter. We shouldn't do something because we expect to be blessed if we do it or fear punishment if we don't. We should do it because it's right. PrOBably nothing more will happen than peace in your heart for doing the right thing, but that should be enough. 

As Christians we should have a deep desire to help those who are struggling. It should be second nature. We shouldn't have to be commanded to do every little thing, and especially not something so basic like helping widows, orphans, the homeless, etc... Although I think God has made it abundantly clear over and over again throughout the Bible that we should do these things. God doesn't change. If he was serious about helping widows and orphans in the OT, he is still serious about it today.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Matthew 10:42 And whosoever shall give to drink unto one of these little ones a cup of cold water only in the name of a disciple, verily I say unto you, he shall in no wise lose his reward.

James 1:27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.
1 John 3:17 But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?

• Members

Here in America it's very common to hear Christians say they would help, but...

Then comes the excuses...

they can apply for food stamps

why don't they go find a food pantry

they might want more help later

why doesn't their family help them

I don't know them

what about this, that and the other government program

Well, there are a lot of excuses, but will any of them stand up when Jesus asks us why we didn't show His love towards the ones He put in our path?

• Members

If you are not under the new/everlasting covenant in the blood of Jesus, you are not saved. Hebrews 13:20-2

Thanks for catching that '' (Old testament covenant to be corrected )  I've been washed by the blood of the Lamb 

God bless Brother

• Members

I think I'm going to be sick. :vomit:

2belikeJesus, Let's let folks divide the love of God right out of the Bible while they "have a form of Godliness but deny the power thereof" and you and I can go out into the highways and biways and find someone hungry and alone this week and help them in the name of Christ. I applaud your sensitivity and want to encourage you. I'm going to do it too, I'll let you know how it goes.

Folks, do you realize that you can be "right" in your doctrine but wrong in your heart and application, and "wrong" in some of your doctrine but right in heart? What exactly do you think Paul is referring to in I Corinthians 3? Exactly what do you think the definition of a Pharasee was in Christ's day? It was someone who was "right" and "tight" concerning every little jot and tittle of the truth, but devoid of any grace, mercy or love.

Anybody else want to join 2belikeJesus and I this week and put your money where your Christianity is?

Amen ' l'm with you

• Members

Here in America it's very common to hear Christians say they would help, but...

Then comes the excuses...

they can apply for food stamps

why don't they go find a food pantry

they might want more help later

why doesn't their family help them

I don't know them

what about this, that and the other government program

Well, there are a lot of excuses, but will any of them stand up when Jesus asks us why we didn't show His love towards the ones He put in our path?

Amen brother John

• Members

Of all the topics on this site, I certainly didn't expect this one to generate any controversy.  So are you saying that the church is not held responsible for the care of widows and fatherless children?  That the entire office of the Deacon wasn't created specifically to help with the care of widows?  

Acts 6:1-3 (KJV)
1  And in those days, when the number of the disciples was multiplied, there arose a murmuring of the Grecians against the Hebrews, because their widows were neglected in the daily ministration.
2  Then the twelve called the multitude of the disciples unto them, and said, It is not reason that we should leave the word of God, and serve tables.
3  Wherefore, brethren, look ye out among you seven men of honest report, full of the Holy Ghost and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business.  

If I am totally misunderstanding your stance than forgive me, but your questioning whether these verses have been rightly divided is a surprise to me.  

You know it takes heart to understand some things in Gods word , Thank you for sharing this brother

God bless Brother

Archived