• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Wow, God Is Really Serious About This

2bLikeJesus

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

God is very serious about caring for the widows and orphans, and not offending them or others.  Earlier, I quoted one verse from Matthew 18, but the entire chapter is Jesus (God) talking about not offending people and the consequences of doing so. Look at the end of Matthew 17, where Jesus instructs Peter to pay their tribute, so they won't offend "them". Matthew 17:27 Notwithstanding, lest we should offend them, go thou to the sea, and cast an hook, and take up the fish that first cometh up; and when thou hast opened his mouth, thou shalt find a piece of money: that take, and give unto them for me and thee. 

Then chapter 18 continues the theme of not offending others and listing the consequences if one chooses to offend. 

**Edited to keep on track of the original topic. Sorry to have aided in derailing the thread.

• Members

I would agree to an extent, Li. We can learn from the Old Testament. But that should be a learning that points to the cross and to grace.

Pastors should not be preaching the Old Testament Mosaic Law as something that
God commands us to OBey today. Sadly, many Churches, even IFB Churches, teach OBedience to the Law that was never meant for them. When they do so, they tempt God and they subvert the souls of their congregation.

• Members

Pastors should not be preaching the Old Testament Mosaic Law as something that God commands us to OBey today. Sadly, many Churches, even IFB Churches, teach OBedience to the Law that was never meant for them. When they do so, they tempt God and they subvert the souls of their congregation.

Like the 10% tithe maybe? Or woman in pants while men still wear woolen jerseys? Or the subversion of woman as a lesser and inferior species? How about kingdom now and prosperity? The list can go on as to how the Word has been misinterpreted by those who should be rightly dividing.

• Members

I would agree to an extent, Li. We can learn from the Old Testament. But that should be a learning that points to the cross and to grace.

Pastors should not be preaching the Old Testament Mosaic Law as something that
God commands us to OBey today. Sadly, many Churches, even IFB Churches, teach OBedience to the Law that was never meant for them. When they do so, they tempt God and they subvert the souls of their congregation.

This is a doctrine.

We don't want doctrine.

We want to rip verses out of context (wrongly divide), spiritualize non-applicable instructions, recast the stumbling block that Israel fell over.

This all sounds familiar.

Wait, I know where I've heard it before, RCC Replacement Theology.
The Church replaced Israel.
Sure.
Thanks to the Fundamentalist Movement, all kinds of RCC false doctrine has infiltrated the Baptists.
We read books about "great Christians"...Protestant Catholics .
We lift up "heroes of the faith", who believed in Lordship Repentance, Loss of Salvation, Works regeneration, and most of all...replacement theology.

So put those silly Gentiles back in the yoke, that Israel could never bear.

Throw away your cotton blend shirts, damn you if you've eaten shrimp, stone your kids to death, for sassing Mom, and wave your food at God before you eat, when your brethren pay tithes to you.

Or, realize that your Law is "love the LORD thy God with all thy heart, and thy neighbor as thyself", and that is it.

Avoid a few things, conduct assembly by the instructions given, and pray for all of the Saints.

• Members

Going back to the opening post... there's a church in town that has a single/divorced/widowed mom's day once a year. they change their oil check other things in cars, wash cars, get massages, manicures and lots of other stuff. I was tempted to go this year.

• Members

I don't have a bible that is for the Gentile only or the Jew only , I have the King James Bible Gods Holly Word written for all mankind unto All understanding and all His Truths ( the Old And New Testaments ) in which God speaks through daily to my heart.

Thank you 2belikeJesus  for sharing what God has spoken to you in your heart and for your response to help the needy children.

God bless you Brother 

• Members

I don't have a bible that is for the Gentile only or the Jew only , I have the King James Bible Gods Holly Word written for all mankind unto All understanding and all His Truths ( the Old And New Testaments ) in which God speaks through daily to my heart.

Thank you 2belikeJesus for sharing what God has spoken to you in your heart and for your response to help the needy children.

God bless you Brother

You have God's Word that you are supposed to study, rightly DIVIDING.
That means you know Who a passage is addressing, before you try to apply it.
When Malachi 1:1 says "to Israel", guess what? It isn't talking to you.
You weren't part of that covenant.
You aren't under that curse.

To wear a lack of OBedience to God's command to rightly divide the Word of truth, as a badge of honor, is to expose folly, simplicity, and pride.

There is a reason that He said "divide", in The King James Holy Bible.

• Members

1 Corinthians 10:11
Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.

Romans 15:4
For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.

Romans 4:23-24
23   Now it was not written for his sake alone, that it was imputed to him;
24   But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead;

1 Corinthians 9:8-10
8   Say I these things as a man? or saith not the law the same also?
9   For it is written in the law of Moses, Thou shalt not muzzle the mouth of the ox that treadeth out the corn. Doth God take care for oxen?
10   Or saith he it altogether for our sakes? For our sakes, no doubt, this is written: that he that ploweth should plow in hope; and that he that thresheth in hope should be partaker of his hope.

1 Corinthians 10:6
Now these things were our examples, to the intent we should not lust after evil things, as they also lusted.

I don't think anyone in this thread is implying that we should OBey the law. What is being said is that we can find the mind of God pertaining to things in the Old Testament. The New Testament points out that the Old Testament is for us...for our learning, admonition, example, and for our sake.

Does that mean that we stone our children for rebellion? Do we stone adulterers and adulteresses, etc.? No, but what we learn is God hates sin, and sin has judgment. Man is given a responsibility to judge sin and carry out the judgment; it should be done swiftly. Wouldn't that be a deterrent to others if we carried out swift penalties today instead of feeding them, housing them, and entertaining them for years and years and years?

We are free from the law, but that doesn't mean that we can't learn from it...as a matter of fact...if we live our lives the way that we are told to in the New Testament, we will fulfill the law...

Romans 13:8-10
8   Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
9   For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
10   Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

Part of "rightly dividing the word" does entail seeing who a particular scripture is written to and how it applies to them...but it also includes seeing how it applies to me today. How does stoning a child for disOBedience apply to me today? When my child disOBeys, I should give punishment swiftly...and the punishment should give them reason to fear disOBeying again.

I could go on, but I'll stop here with one last comment. If we can't glean from the entirety of God's word, then why do we have it? Why did God include the general epistles (or as some call them, the Jewish epistles) in our Bible? Why have them in the Bible if God didn't want us to have them, use them, and apply them if they are only for the Jews? 

2 Timothy 3:16
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

• Members

Acts 2 Sect of the Nazarenes, in Jerusalem

And all that believed were together, and had all things common; [ie: communists]

And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need.

These are not the rules for the Body of Christ (ie: church of God) presented by Paul in his epistles.

• Members

I see what you're saying, but I don't think I would compare the early church to communism. Those dear souls were isolated...just starting out in a nation that was against them. Of course they took care of each other...which by the way, we do find that principle of taking care of each other's physical needs in the writings of Paul...which (in my opinion) is one of the great failures of today's church.

Romans 12:13
Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality.

1 Corinthians 16:1
Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye.

2 Corinthians 8:1-4

1   Moreover, brethren, we do you to wit of the grace of God bestowed on the churches of Macedonia;
2   How that in a great trial of affliction the abundance of their joy and their deep poverty abounded unto the riches of their liberality.
3   For to their power, I bear record, yea, and beyond their power they were willing of themselves;
4   Praying us with much intreaty that we would receive the gift, and take upon us the fellowship of the ministering to the saints.

Romans 15:25-27
25   But now I go unto Jerusalem to minister unto the saints.
26   For it hath pleased them of Macedonia and Achaia to make a certain contribution for the poor saints which are at Jerusalem.
27   It hath pleased them verily; and their debtors they are. For if the Gentiles have been made partakers of their spiritual things, their duty is also to minister unto them in carnal things.

2 Corinthians 9:1-5
1   For as touching the ministering to the saints, it is superfluous for me to write to you:
2   For I know the forwardness of your mind, for which I boast of you to them of Macedonia, that Achaia was ready a year ago; and your zeal hath provoked very many.
3   Yet have I sent the brethren, lest our boasting of you should be in vain in this behalf; that, as I said, ye may be ready:
4   Lest haply if they of Macedonia come with me, and find you unprepared, we (that we say not, ye) should be ashamed in this same confident boasting.
5   Therefore I thought it necessary to exhort the brethren, that they would go before unto you, and make up beforehand your bounty, whereof ye had notice before, that the same might be ready, as a matter of bounty, and not as of covetousness.

Archived