• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Wow, God Is Really Serious About This

2bLikeJesus

• Members

If we're going to "rightly divide" this way...let's at least be consistent.

The Book of Romans only applied to the Romans.
The Books of 1 and 2 Corinthians only applied to the Corinthians.
Philippians only applied to the Philippians.
1 and 2 Timothy only applied to Timothy.

etc...

maybe he does divide this way? LOL

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

And even those statutes and ordinances give us a glimpse into the mind of God and are therefore profitable.

only in the sense of knowing they are not required. ( Psalm 147:19-20 ). If one attempts to keep one, one must keep all or be cursed. (Galatians 3:10 ) If one attempts to keep the law on one's own terms, (I'll OBey this, but how I want to OBserve it and not how it is written) that one is guilty of breaking the Law he claims to be OBeying. (James 2:10 )

• Members

2bLikeJesus, on 22 Aug 2014 - 6:47 PM, said:snapback.png

And even those statutes and ordinances give us a glimpse into the mind of God and are therefore profitable.

only in the sense of knowing they are not required. ( Psalm 147:19-20 ). If one attempts to keep one, one must keep all or be cursed. (Galatians 3:10 ) If one attempts to keep the law on one's own terms, (I'll OBey this, but how I want to OBserve it and not how it is written) that one is guilty of breaking the Law he claims to be OBeying. (James 2:10 )

I find that argument extraordinary. Attempting to keep the Law for justification, to establish our own righteousness can only fail. We would be condemned, & cursed as lawbreakers. But that is NOT the thrust of the OP or the thread. We are encouraged - blessed - by delighting in the Law. We are saved by grace, justified by our faith in Christ & his righteousness, but we will NOT continue in sin.

Psalm 1:1 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.

2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.

The Pastor demands tithes - that is sinful legalism. A Christian who freely tithes & gives to the needy is giving for the Lord's work - that is more than acceptable - it is practical Christianity.

The spiritual Christian is living under the new covenant, led by the Holy Spirit:

Heb. 8:For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

We are living the spirit of the Law with renewed hearts & minds.

• Members

Is this only for Israel?

the immediate historical context of Matthew and James. (brother of John the beloved ((Jas 1:1 ¶ James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes)) is for Israel. 

There can be application for the church of God, but not from using those scriptures seeing Paul restated similar teaching for the church of God.

• Members

Wow. So let's just cut James out of our Bibles. And all the rest that is "just for Israel."  SMH.  

Happy, sarcasm is not necessary and it is a belittling comment.

who does the brother of John the beloved say he is writing too?

Jas 1:1 ¶ James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes

• Members

If we're going to "rightly divide" this way...let's at least be consistent.

The Book of Romans only applied to the Romans.

The Books of 1 and 2 Corinthians only applied to the Corinthians.

Philippians only applied to the Philippians.

1 and 2 Timothy only applied to Timothy.

etc...

the correct doctrinal verses for the church come from Romans, Corinthians, Philippians.  You could use parts of Matthew or James as support verses but not for establishment of a doctrine for the church of God.

First lesson of right division is asking who it is speaking to historical and doctrinally?  Israel

• Administrators

Happy, sarcasm is not necessary and it is a belittling comment.

who does the brother of John the beloved say he is writing too?

Jas 1:1 ¶ James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes

For starters, my comment was not sarcasm. It was an OBservation.  And it wasn't belittling.  Stop trying to moderate the forum, AVBB.  Okay? 

You know, I can read. I know that the book was originally written to the 12 tribes. But you are fooling yourself if you believe that it doesn't apply to us.  It does, whether you or anyone else likes it or not.  As do the gospels and the OT.  Whether it's for instruction, pictorial instruction, parable, principle, command, etc.

I'm kinda tired of folks who try to parse scripture and tell us what applies to our lives as Christians and what doesn't.  God's Word is God's Word and everything within it has something to teach us.  Now, if you think that's belittling, that's up to you. I'm thinking mayhap God thinks some folks - some on this forum even - belittle His Word.

• Moderators

...sarcasm is not necessary and it is a belittling comment.

I get the opinion some of you couldn't really rightly divide yourself out of a paper bag with the assumptions you jump too without OBserving the context and answering the 6 W's and 1 H questions before you make your attempts to RD.

Speaking of belittling, the latter quote is a fine example of the former comment.

• Members

I never said the church of God could not profit from them I only pointed out they are directed doctrinally and historically and possibly prophetically to Israel.

16All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.   II Timothy 3:16

Is it directed doctrinally to Israel or can I use it?  There is alot directed historically to Israel but we would not be doing ourselves much good to ignore.

• Members

Since we are only supposed to get our doctrine from Paul's writings, let's see what Paul has to say about this...

1 Corinthians 10:6-11
6  Now these things were our examples, to the intent we should not lust after evil things, as they also lusted.
7  Neither be ye idolaters, as were some of them; as it is written, The people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play.
8  Neither let us commit fornication, as some of them committed, and fell in one day three and twenty thousand.
9  Neither let us tempt Christ, as some of them also tempted, and were destroyed of serpents.

10  Neither murmur ye, as some of them also murmured, and were destroyed of the destroyer.
11  Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.

Interesting...Paul uses the Old Testament to warn the Gentile-Corinthian church.

Even telling them not to do the things that Israel did.

Even quoted the Old Testament to them in verse 7!

Even said those examples were FOR us!

Archived