Online Baptist Community
  • Newest Sermon Entry

• By 1Timothy115 in Devotionals
      Psalms 119:1-8                                         Sep. 5 - Oct. 2, 2019
      1 ALEPH. Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the LORD.
      2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
      3 They also do no iniquity: they walk in his ways.
      4 Thou hast commanded us to keep thy precepts diligently.
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      6 Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments.
      7 I will praise thee with uprightness of heart, when I shall have learned thy righteous judgments.
      8 I will keep thy statutes: O forsake me not utterly.
      The following verse stood out to me...
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      At first glance it seemed to me this person’s soul is poured out with intense desire to have God’s direction in keeping His Word.
      I made a small wood fire in our backyard for my granddaughter, Julia, since she would be staying overnight with us. My wife and Julia stayed outside at the fire for about half an hour. Then, I found myself alone to watch the fire die out on a particularly lovely evening. So I took my verse from above and began to repeat it for memorization. As I repeated the verse, I tried to contemplate the words and apply them to what I was seeing around me. 
      The moon and stars were out now peering through the scattered clouds above.
      [Genesis 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. Genesis 1:17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth, Genesis 1:18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.]
      Thought 1         
      The moon has stayed his course since the day God created him, also the stars, obeying the statutes directed by God from the first day they were created. Can you imagine God’s direction to the Moon and stars, “moon you will have a path through the sky above the earth, stars you will occupy the firmament above the moon and be clearly visible in the cloudless night sky.”
      Then, the trees, grass, even the air we breathe obey the statues God gave them from the beginning. None of these creations have souls, none have hearts, none have intelligence, but they all observe God’s statutes, His instructions for their limited time on earth.
      Thought 2
      What if we were like the moon, stars, trees, grass, or the other creations which have no soul? We would be directed to keep God’s statutes without choosing to keep them. This is not the image of God, there would be no dominion over other creatures, or over the earth. We would not be capable of experiencing the joy and peace of learning the love of God
      Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
      Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
      Thought 3 (October 2, 2019)
      Is the psalmist pleading God to force God’s statutes to become the man’s ways? No, he is speaking of his own failure in keeping God’s statutes and his desire to keep them, very much like Paul in Romans 7:14-25.
      God doesn’t work through force to turn men from their ways that they would desire His statutes or desire God Himself. Men must reject (repent) put aside his own ways and voluntarily seek God and His statutes.

Pet Peeves

2bLikeJesus

• Independent Fundamental Baptist

Pet Peeve:  I just witnessed my 13 year old grandson reach into the refrigerator and take a swig out of the quart of milk and put it back in!  Have you ever seen a Dilbert cartoon where Alice has to fight "the fist of death"....

I trained his parents better than that...looks like some more training is in order. 

When first married I had to train my wife in that area. Her mom was sick much of the time and her dad was on the road driving a truck a lot so the kids raised themselves a lot of the time. My wife didn't think anything at all about grabbing the milk, container of orange juice, or any other drinkable, drinking what she wanted right from the container and putting it back in the fridge. Ewww!

• 2 weeks later...

Pet peeve:  No matter how carefully you put your ear buds into a pocket, when you pull them out to use again, they have mysteriously tied themselves into a knot that would make any sailor or eagle scout proud.  

Pet peeve: Parents never thinking their almost 50 year old son (Saved, imbibed into the word of God, Happily married 26 years, and Father of 4 children, all from my one and only wife, mind you!), can make 'wise' decisions.

Pet peeve:  People who disrespect, or think evil of, bachelors who by choice are not seeking any relationships.  So many think that is so weird that there must be something wrong with you, or that your'e a sodomite.  God gifts some people with the ability to be single and not "burn", so that their service to God can be without distractions.  

Happily a bachelor,

Dwaine

Amen brother!  I get it also, being a bachelor now for the last 19 years.

1 Corinthians 7:32-33 (KJV

32  But I would have you without carefulness. He that is unmarried careth for the things that belong to the Lord, how he may please the Lord: 
33  But he that is married careth for the things that are of the world, how he may please his wife. 

Bro. Garry

In His will.  By His power.  For His glory.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Moderators

Pet Peeve:  People who say "like" all the time.  Sometimes "like" 4 times in "like" the same sentence, "like" do you know what I mean it's "like" really annoying.

​Like, dude, I feel ya. It's like TOTALLY annoying. Like, DUDE!

Wow, that felt strange.

While preaching and witnessing on the streets of downtown Atlanta, Ga my oldest son had a guy tell him, "DUDE, dude. That's like totally dude!"

What a vocabulary.

Edited by OLD fashioned preacher

Way back then, I knew a girl who talked that way. She wrote me a letter once and she even wrote that way! As annoying as it was to hear her speak it, trying to read her letter was a real chore with so many "likes" in there and sometimes they were used properly and not just a space filling "like" which took some deciphering skills to catch.

A few years ago I read a "re-telling" of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet updated with the modern day teenage vocabulary. The first few paragraphs were humorous with all the "likes", "yeahs", and "dudes" and other such un-needed words inserted where they didn't belong. However, I couldn't finish it, it was just too difficult  annoying to read. 

I have a few pet peeves, but I've already aired them on a dog forum.... :coverlaugh:

I thought this might be too lengthy but...here it is.

Why did I develop this one bias against one?

Somewhere in the deep reaches of my life I developed a distaste for the ‘one’ remarks. This may only be a blind spot for me while others have no issue or have no aversion to this. ‘One’ can be at the beginning, middle, or end of a sentence. Sometimes, preceded or followed by some conciliatory qualifier, weak modifier, personally exclusioning preposition, prepositional phrase, or sometimes a word feigning humility. For me PERSONALLY, something I’ll probably have to get past, the use comes across as arrogance. Examples:

Example 1
To fully comprehend the correct view one must have some knowledge of scientific imperatives.
Example 2
One might need to have the further knowledge of debate when attempting to argue political perspective.
Example 3
One might, one must, one should, one shouldn’t, (here’s a favorite) one couldn’t possibly, one never, ad nauseum, the list could go on indefinitely.

Is the use scholarly or give an appearance of great knowledge, experience, or wisdom? It makes me want to reply, “well, how about two or three, will that make a difference?” It isn’t Biblical, ‘one’ will not find ‘one’ used in the manner described above from Genesis 1:1 through Revelation 22:21.

If you’re talking to me, my preference is that you talk to me; such as example 2, “You need further knowledge of how to debate when arguing politics” I’m a big boy and I can handle it. If you’re talking to a group, then say which group, i.e. “Christians should or conservatives might this or that.”

If you’re excluding yourself then plainly indicate the individual or group you’re addressing as the subject. Or, if you truly are being arrogant, just come out and tell me how much more perceptive, educated, smarter or experienced you are and how much you want to put ‘one’ in their place.

I hear the ‘one’ comments coming.

As far as I know, I don't use the term "one" in that manner when speaking but do so in writing as "one" is used as an all-inclusive which is often better than saying "you", especially if not meaning a direct and personal "you".

If I say, "If you were to do or think or act such-and-such..." in a conversation the listener would likely understand my context but when written, especially in a forum or similar situation, it's most often taken in a direct, personal saying.

I've never deemed the use of "one", when referring to folks in general, as something scholarly or whatever, only a simple means of trying to convey the idea of anyone in a manner more readable.

I'm not a grammar major so if there is a better way to convey such in writing, please let me know. This is a term I don't recall ever using prior to being involved in forums where personal pronouns are so often taken out of context and, well, personally.

As for a similar pet peeve of mine, it would be in regards to those who refer to themselves in the third person. Certain famous people seem to have a habit of this and it's rather annoying, to me anyway.