Online Baptist Community
  • Newest Sermon Entry

• By 1Timothy115 in Devotionals
      Psalms 119:1-8                                         Sep. 5 - Oct. 2, 2019
      1 ALEPH. Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the LORD.
      2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
      3 They also do no iniquity: they walk in his ways.
      4 Thou hast commanded us to keep thy precepts diligently.
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      6 Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments.
      7 I will praise thee with uprightness of heart, when I shall have learned thy righteous judgments.
      8 I will keep thy statutes: O forsake me not utterly.
      The following verse stood out to me...
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      At first glance it seemed to me this person’s soul is poured out with intense desire to have God’s direction in keeping His Word.
      I made a small wood fire in our backyard for my granddaughter, Julia, since she would be staying overnight with us. My wife and Julia stayed outside at the fire for about half an hour. Then, I found myself alone to watch the fire die out on a particularly lovely evening. So I took my verse from above and began to repeat it for memorization. As I repeated the verse, I tried to contemplate the words and apply them to what I was seeing around me. 
      The moon and stars were out now peering through the scattered clouds above.
      [Genesis 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. Genesis 1:17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth, Genesis 1:18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.]
      Thought 1         
      The moon has stayed his course since the day God created him, also the stars, obeying the statutes directed by God from the first day they were created. Can you imagine God’s direction to the Moon and stars, “moon you will have a path through the sky above the earth, stars you will occupy the firmament above the moon and be clearly visible in the cloudless night sky.”
      Then, the trees, grass, even the air we breathe obey the statues God gave them from the beginning. None of these creations have souls, none have hearts, none have intelligence, but they all observe God’s statutes, His instructions for their limited time on earth.
      Thought 2
      What if we were like the moon, stars, trees, grass, or the other creations which have no soul? We would be directed to keep God’s statutes without choosing to keep them. This is not the image of God, there would be no dominion over other creatures, or over the earth. We would not be capable of experiencing the joy and peace of learning the love of God
      Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
      Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
      Thought 3 (October 2, 2019)
      Is the psalmist pleading God to force God’s statutes to become the man’s ways? No, he is speaking of his own failure in keeping God’s statutes and his desire to keep them, very much like Paul in Romans 7:14-25.
      God doesn’t work through force to turn men from their ways that they would desire His statutes or desire God Himself. Men must reject (repent) put aside his own ways and voluntarily seek God and His statutes.

Pet Peeves

2bLikeJesus

• Independent Fundamental Baptist

undisciplined children as stated above, when shopping or out to eat, but also...in church. We have a couple in our church and I've rarely seen any of the 3 they already have disciplined. It drives me nuts! little boy 4 years old, plays during service, talks, plays on floor, crawls under chairs thru the aisles. Parents just completely ignore him. They don't even TRY. He does whatever he wants because he CAN.

It's very disruptive to me at least, to try and concentrate on sermon or Bible study when he's around.

We had a visitor to our church once who sat in the pew in front of us with her two young children. The little girl was too young to be much of a prOBlem but her boy was loud, wouldn't sit still, wouldn't be quiet and the mother wouldn't do anything about it. Someone politely told them of the nursery and offered to help her but she didn't want to do that. So, the entire service it was her saying meaningless things that did nothing to correct her boy, and the boy constantly talking, climbing over her, bouncing from one position to the next, trying to climb on the back of the pew, over the pew, on the floor, under the pew, all the while being very loud.

I'm all for family sitting together in church, but that does require well trained children and discipline if necessary, which includes taking a misbehaving child out of the sanctuary, correcting them and not returning until that child has settled down.

Thankfully, in our current church, we've not had any prOBlems with children of those who attend regularly.

My pastor will not stand for any distractions in the service, if the parent does not control the child, he will very publicly from the pulpit.  This goes for adults to, though not directly to them from the pulpit, but generically he will ask for "distractions" to cease.  If you are rattling candy paper, passing notes to others, leaving the service for the restroom often (especially during invitation), or clipping your nails (it actually happened) during service he will say something.  Our pastor is very particular about the sanctuary as well.  There is no eating or drinking allowed in it (breath mint, or unwrapped candy to help stay alert excepted), and children absolutely are forbidden from playing at/on the altar before and after service.  I am blessed with arguably the best marriage and family pastor in the U.S. (he has been our pastor for 20 years now), He is the keynote speaker nationwide often at marriage and family retreats.  Because of the fabulous parenting messages we get from him, our church parents are turning out incredible kids.  Our small church has not failed to come in first place out of 30+ churches at bible camp competions for the last 14 years now.  

Bro. Garry

Edited by 2bLikeJesus

At one church I attended there was a woman in the pew in front of us and sitting down a ways, who always tended to her fingernails during service. She would file them, poke them and yes, I even saw and heard her trim a nail once. I don't think that pastor ever noticed what she was doing as she kept her hands low. If someone were not in the same pew or the one behind her, it's likely they couldn't have seen, but others prOBably heard some of what she was doing.

My pet peeve is people not keeping their pets out of my yard.
Cats in our back yard....
Evidence that dogs have been in our front yard.

I would rather have birds in my back yard, and not surprises in my front yard.

Don't get me wrong - I love cats. I just couldn't eat a whole one in one sitting. :lol:

I feel your pain TH. I am almost OCD when it comes to order.  All my cans in the cupboard, or spices on the racks are in alphabetical order with all labels facing out.  Everything in my home has it's place, and I can't fall asleep if something is OBviously out of order.  A crooked picture on the wall will drive me insane.  

I have CDO - it's like ocd but the letters are in alphabetical order....... ;)

Except that makes it exactly opposite since it would be Compulsive Disorder OBsessive.  Meaning you are Disorderly.   :nuts:

They also have a bias toward Northeastern profession teams too, which I don't care for.

They are HQ'ed in Conn., so, the local boys set the pace...Pats, RedSox, Yanks, Etc.

If you live in fly over country, you have no friend in National Sports Media.

Or worse, you live on the Pacific Coast and your 3 hour games often start at 7pm (10pm - 1am Eastern) and none of the east coast writers (which is pretty much all of them) will stay up that late to watch any of the games.  When Seattle or any Pac 12 team does well they are all shocked wondering where this "cinderella" team came from.

I've noticed major weather stories tend to follow that same Northeast bias. Watch when there is wild winter weather. It may travel across the country and get some attention as it progresses but it's not until it comes to the Northeast that it's an exceptionally major story and something to be talked about continually.