• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Pet Peeves

• Members

I heard a preacher on the radio early this morning which reminded me of another pet peeve. The preacher kept adding an "s", making plural what should be singular when referring to a Psalm or the Book of Revelation.

He would say, "Let us look at Psalms 19", "Then in the Book of Revelations".

Not a major thing, yet a pet peeve.

• Administrators

I heard a preacher on the radio early this morning which reminded me of another pet peeve. The preacher kept adding an "s", making plural what should be singular when referring to a Psalm or the Book of Revelation.

He would say, "Let us look at Psalms 19", "Then in the Book of Revelations".

Not a major thing, yet a pet peeve.

​John, I can't say I have noticed the one about "Psalms", but I have noticed it about "Revelations". This seems to be a very common mistake and I think it is due to the mispronunciation being so ingrained in our churches. People have heard it pronounced that way for so long that they don't even think about it.

I can't say it is a pet peeve of mine, but it is very noticeable and incorrect.

• Members

​John, I can't say I have noticed the one about "Psalms", but I have noticed it about "Revelations". This seems to be a very common mistake and I think it is due to the mispronunciation being so ingrained in our churches. People have heard it pronounced that way for so long that they don't even think about it.

I can't say it is a pet peeve of mine, but it is very noticeable and incorrect.

​I agree, it seems to be one of those things that's spread by so much common misuse. Few actually read the name of the book and think about it, they just know "Revelations" is the last book.

"Revelations" is the one I hear most often. References to "Psalms" when referring to one particular Psalm isn't, in my experience, as common, but it was brought to mind this morning from that preacher on the radio who kept saying that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

One other Pet Peeve: people that do not know the difference between the words "Ideal" and "Idea."

The one I hear the most often is, " I have an ideal", instead of, "I have an idea."

• Members

A pet peeve to go along with Jim's is:

Reading a comment by a professing Christian taking on an anti-Christian online and their postings are so filled with wrongful use of words (your when it should be you're; for example) that their credibility is instantly lost and no matter the substance of their (not there!) position their poor vocabulary becomes the point of attack against "uneducated, backward Christians".

• Members

4-way Stops (right of way) The car to the right always has the right of way.

I arrive at the same time as the person on my right. The other motorist is supposed to move through the intersection first. I look over after a few seconds and the person is motioning me to proceed through. Why don't people just obey the law?

• Members

4-way Stops (right of way) The car to the right always has the right of way.

I arrive at the same time as the person on my right. The other motorist is supposed to move through the intersection first. I look over after a few seconds and the person is motioning me to proceed through. Why don't people just obey the law?

​In one small city close to here if two or more people show up at a 4-way they tend to all sit and look at each other. Knowing this, if I'm one of them I look towards the one with the right of way and if he doesn't proceed, I go and let the rest figure out how to get on.

• Members

Pet peeve:  Men who give you the limp dead fish for a handshake and won't look you in the eye when they are doing it.  Grab my hand like a man...don't try to squeeze it off, but at least make it a FIRM handshake!

​Agreed! It also makes it difficult when shaking hands because when you grasp the weakly offered hand it feels as if you are gripping them harder than you actually are and often they look at you as if there is something wrong with you.

• Members

Pet peeve:  Truckers who get into the left lane of a two lane highway to pass another trucker that is going 1/2 mile per hour slower than them up the hill.  He is going 35 1/2 miles per hour instead of 35 in the 65 mph zone.  5 minutes later he finally passes and moves back over to the right and releases the mile long line that was stuck behind him.  

• Members

​In one small city close to here if two or more people show up at a 4-way they tend to all sit and look at each other. Knowing this, if I'm one of them I look towards the one with the right of way and if he doesn't proceed, I go and let the rest figure out how to get on.

​He who hesitates is last.

• Members

Pet peeve:  Truckers who get into the left lane of a two lane highway to pass another trucker that is going 1/2 mile per hour slower than them up the hill.  He is going 35 1/2 miles per hour instead of 35 in the 65 mph zone.  5 minutes later he finally passes and moves back over to the right and releases the mile long line that was stuck behind him.  

​As an ex OTR trucker I think my two biggest pet peeves while driving would be the four wheelers who don't know how to merge into traffic on an interstate.  Then there are the four wheelers who don't seem to understand what a slow down lane on an off ramp is for and start slowing to 40 or 45 while still on the interstate traffic lane.  Both are traffic hazards and lucky if they reach old age.

• Members

That raises another pet peeve: Those who don't seem to know what turn lanes are for or how to properly use them.

It seems many folks will decide they are going to turn, some may even turn their signal light on but not all, and they begin slowing down in the drive lane and remain in the drive lane until right before they get to their turn when they hastily move into the turn lane...sometimes cutting off those who have rightly pulled into the turn lane when they should have.

There are also those who will pull out from a business or side road into the turn lane and then proceed to drive down the turn lane until they finally manage to merge into the driving lane.