• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Pet Peeves

Pet peeve:  People who disrespect, or think evil of, bachelors who by choice are not seeking any relationships.  So many think that is so weird that there must be something wrong with you, or that your'e a sodomite.  God gifts some people with the ability to be single and not "burn", so that their service to God can be without distractions.  

Happily a bachelor,

Dwaine

• Members

Amen brother!  I get it also, being a bachelor now for the last 19 years.

1 Corinthians 7:32-33 (KJV

32  But I would have you without carefulness. He that is unmarried careth for the things that belong to the Lord, how he may please the Lord: 
33  But he that is married careth for the things that are of the world, how he may please his wife. 

Bro. Garry

In His will.  By His power.  For His glory.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Moderators

Pet Peeve:  People who say "like" all the time.  Sometimes "like" 4 times in "like" the same sentence, "like" do you know what I mean it's "like" really annoying.

​Like, dude, I feel ya. It's like TOTALLY annoying. Like, DUDE!

Wow, that felt strange.

While preaching and witnessing on the streets of downtown Atlanta, Ga my oldest son had a guy tell him, "DUDE, dude. That's like totally dude!"

What a vocabulary.

Edited by OLD fashioned preacher

• Members

Way back then, I knew a girl who talked that way. She wrote me a letter once and she even wrote that way! As annoying as it was to hear her speak it, trying to read her letter was a real chore with so many "likes" in there and sometimes they were used properly and not just a space filling "like" which took some deciphering skills to catch.

• Members

A few years ago I read a "re-telling" of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet updated with the modern day teenage vocabulary. The first few paragraphs were humorous with all the "likes", "yeahs", and "dudes" and other such un-needed words inserted where they didn't belong. However, I couldn't finish it, it was just too difficult  annoying to read. 

I have a few pet peeves, but I've already aired them on a dog forum.... :coverlaugh:

• Members

I thought this might be too lengthy but...here it is.

Why did I develop this one bias against one?

Somewhere in the deep reaches of my life I developed a distaste for the ‘one’ remarks. This may only be a blind spot for me while others have no issue or have no aversion to this. ‘One’ can be at the beginning, middle, or end of a sentence. Sometimes, preceded or followed by some conciliatory qualifier, weak modifier, personally exclusioning preposition, prepositional phrase, or sometimes a word feigning humility. For me PERSONALLY, something I’ll probably have to get past, the use comes across as arrogance. Examples:

Example 1
To fully comprehend the correct view one must have some knowledge of scientific imperatives.
Example 2
One might need to have the further knowledge of debate when attempting to argue political perspective.
Example 3
One might, one must, one should, one shouldn’t, (here’s a favorite) one couldn’t possibly, one never, ad nauseum, the list could go on indefinitely.

Is the use scholarly or give an appearance of great knowledge, experience, or wisdom? It makes me want to reply, “well, how about two or three, will that make a difference?” It isn’t Biblical, ‘one’ will not find ‘one’ used in the manner described above from Genesis 1:1 through Revelation 22:21.

If you’re talking to me, my preference is that you talk to me; such as example 2, “You need further knowledge of how to debate when arguing politics” I’m a big boy and I can handle it. If you’re talking to a group, then say which group, i.e. “Christians should or conservatives might this or that.”

If you’re excluding yourself then plainly indicate the individual or group you’re addressing as the subject. Or, if you truly are being arrogant, just come out and tell me how much more perceptive, educated, smarter or experienced you are and how much you want to put ‘one’ in their place.

I hear the ‘one’ comments coming.

• Members

As far as I know, I don't use the term "one" in that manner when speaking but do so in writing as "one" is used as an all-inclusive which is often better than saying "you", especially if not meaning a direct and personal "you".

If I say, "If you were to do or think or act such-and-such..." in a conversation the listener would likely understand my context but when written, especially in a forum or similar situation, it's most often taken in a direct, personal saying.

I've never deemed the use of "one", when referring to folks in general, as something scholarly or whatever, only a simple means of trying to convey the idea of anyone in a manner more readable.

I'm not a grammar major so if there is a better way to convey such in writing, please let me know. This is a term I don't recall ever using prior to being involved in forums where personal pronouns are so often taken out of context and, well, personally.

As for a similar pet peeve of mine, it would be in regards to those who refer to themselves in the third person. Certain famous people seem to have a habit of this and it's rather annoying, to me anyway.

• Members

I am certainly not a grammar major either ( I just misspelled grammar.  Thank you spell check).

I use the word because when I write a post or a comment in a post I am writing the post to anybody and everybody who might read the post.  It is a habit I picked up from reading a lot of old and very old books.  Maybe I am just an old relic from the distant past. :mellow:

• Moderators

When one utilizes the word 'one' in one's writing, one must be cautious lest one's penchant for 'one' become excessive or, worse yet, decline into one's exaltation of one's literary prowess which really is not as keen as one may perceive, notwithstanding, there is a proper "time and place" for one's inclination for 'one' and yet can be as obnoxious in its misdirected use as can an excess of commas, which should be avoided, or the common, but still incorrect, writing of run-on sentences.

I would say, "I couldn't help it", but I'd be lying.

• Members

When one utilizes the word 'one' in one's writing, one must be cautious lest one's penchant for 'one' become excessive or, worse yet, decline into one's exaltation of one's literary prowess which really is not as keen as one may perceive, notwithstanding, there is a proper "time and place" for one's inclination for 'one' and yet can be as obnoxious in its misdirected use as can an excess of commas, which should be avoided, or the common, but still incorrect, writing of run-on sentences.

I would say, "I couldn't help it", but I'd be lying.

​I guess since my literary prowess is not excellent as some others, possibly I should refrain from using "one", however I don't know any better.  Here is another persons ideas on the use of "one".  Probably not he best source in the world but here it is:

One (pronoun)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One is a pronoun in the English language. It is a gender-neutralindefinite pronoun, meaning roughly "a person". For purposes of verb agreement it is a third-person singular pronoun, although it is sometimes used with first- or second-person reference. It is more or less equivalent to the French pronoun on, the German man, and the Spanish uno. It has the possessive form one's and the reflexive form oneself.

The pronoun one has quite formal connotations (particularly in American English[1]), and is often avoided in favor of more colloquial alternatives such as generic you.

The word one as a numeral can also be put to use as a pronoun, as in one was clean and the other was dirty, and can form pronominal phrases in combination with another determiner, such as the onethis onemy one, etc. (see prop-word). This article, however, concerns the use of one as an indefinite pronoun as described in the preceding paragraphs.

Etymology[edit]

One may have come into use as an imitation of French on.[2] French on derives from Latin homo, nominative singular for human, through Old French hom[me]. It is distinct from the French word for the numeral one, un(e).

Forms and usage[edit]

One may be used as the subject of a verb, but (unlike French on and German man) it can also be used in other grammatical positions. It occurs most commonly in general statements, which are true of any person, not of any specified person. It may nonetheless sometimes be used with the intention that it be construed as referring to the speaker (as in the case of the "royal one" described below), or as referring to the listener. (The latter type of usage is not so frequent with the English one as with the French on, for example.)

Examples of its use:

• As grammatical subject:
    • One cannot help but grow older.
    • If one were to fail, that would be unfortunate.
  • As verbal object:
    • Drunkenness makes one unreliable.
  • As the complement of a preposition:
    • A reputation travels with one.
  • As an indirect object:
    • That dead-end job at least gives one a chance to develop as a person.

Notice that unlike some personal pronouns (I/mehe/him, etc.) the form of one is unchanged depending on whether it is used as a subject or object. It has a possessive form, namely one's, as in:

• One's experiences shape one's expectations.

Unlike the possessive forms of the personal pronouns (itshers, etc.), one's is written with the apostrophe. There is no second form analogous to hersyoursmine, etc. for use without a following noun, and in fact one's is not normally used in that position (such sentences as one's is brokenI sat on one'sI broke one's, etc. are not standard English).

There is also a reflexive form of one, namely oneself, for example:

• To quit smoking is like giving oneself a raise.

This must refer back to one, not to any other subject (a sentence such as one exhausts oneself is correct, but a person exhausts oneself is not).

Royal one[edit]

Monarchs, and today particularly Queen Elizabeth II, are often depicted as using one as a first-person pronoun. This is frequently done as a form of caricature.[3] For example, the headline "One is not amused"[4] is attributed humorously to the Queen, and also makes reference to Queen Victoria's supposed statement "We are not amused", which in turn contains the royal we.

Alternatives[edit]

For repeated one[edit]

In formal English, once the indefinite pronoun one is used, the same pronoun (or its supplementary forms one'soneself) must continue to be used consistently – it is not considered correct to replace it with another pronoun such as he or she. For example:

• One can glean from this whatever one may.
  • If one were to look at oneselfone's impression would be...

However, some speakers find this usage overly formal and stilted, and do replace repeated occurrences of one with a personal pronoun, most commonly the generic he:

• One can glean from this whatever he may.
  • If one were to look at himselfhis impression would be...

Another reason for inserting a third-person pronoun in this way may sometimes be to underline that one is not intended to be understood as referring particularly to the listener or to the speaker. A problem with the generic he, however, is that it may not be viewed asgender-neutral; this may sometimes be avoided by using singular they instead, although this is in itself viewed as ungrammatical by many purists (particularly when the question arises of whether its reflexive form should be themselves or themself).

Examples are also found, particularly in the spoken language, where a speaker switches mid-sentence from the use of one to the generic you (its informal equivalent, as described in the following section). This type of inconsistency is strongly criticized by language purists.[5]

For one in general[edit]

A common and less formal alternative to the indefinite pronoun one is generic you, used to mean not the listener specifically, but people in general.

• One needs to provide food for oneself and one's family. (formal)
  • You need to provide food for yourself and your family. (informal if used with the meaning of the above sentence)

Other techniques that can be used to avoid the use of one, in contexts where it seems over-formal, include use of the passive voice, pluralizing the sentence (so as to talk about "people", for example), use of other indefinite pronouns such as someone or phrases like "a person" or "a man", and other forms of circumlocution.

Occasionally, the pronoun one as considered here may be avoided so as to avoid ambiguity with other uses of the word one. For example, in the sentence If one enters two names, one will be rejected, the second one may refer either to the person entering the names, or to one of the names.

See also[edit]

References[edit]

1. Jump up^ "The Uses of One"Guide to Grammar and Writing. Retrieved 15 May 2014.
  2. Jump up^ "One", entry in The Oxford English Dictionary, second edition, edited by John Simpson and Edmund Weiner, Clarendon Press, 1989, twenty volumes, hardcover, ISBN 0-19-861186-2.
  3. Jump up^ Emilia Di Martino, Monica Pavani, "Common and Uncommon Readers: Communication among Translators and Translation Critics at Different Moments of the Text’s Life". In Authorial and Editorial Voices in Translation 1: Collaborative Relationships between Authors, Translators, and Performers, Hanne Jansen and Anna Wegener (eds.), Montréal: Éditions québécoises de l’œuvre, collection Vita Traductiva, 2013.
  4. Jump up^ "One is not amused", metro.co.uk, 25 October 2014.
  5. Jump up^ Katie Wales, Personal Pronouns in Present-Day English, CUP 1996, p. 81.

• Members

​I guess since my literary prowess is not excellent as some others, possibly I should refrain from using "one", however I don't know any better.

Another reason for inserting a third-person pronoun in this way may sometimes be to underline that one is not intended to be understood as referring particularly to the listener or to the speaker. 

​Your literary prowess is no better or worse than the rest of us. It's only a pet peeve on my part, I'll have to deal with it:)