• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Pet Peeves

• Members

undisciplined children as stated above, when shopping or out to eat, but also...in church. We have a couple in our church and I've rarely seen any of the 3 they already have disciplined. It drives me nuts! little boy 4 years old, plays during service, talks, plays on floor, crawls under chairs thru the aisles. Parents just completely ignore him. They don't even TRY. He does whatever he wants because he CAN.

It's very disruptive to me at least, to try and concentrate on sermon or Bible study when he's around.

• Members

We had a visitor to our church once who sat in the pew in front of us with her two young children. The little girl was too young to be much of a prOBlem but her boy was loud, wouldn't sit still, wouldn't be quiet and the mother wouldn't do anything about it. Someone politely told them of the nursery and offered to help her but she didn't want to do that. So, the entire service it was her saying meaningless things that did nothing to correct her boy, and the boy constantly talking, climbing over her, bouncing from one position to the next, trying to climb on the back of the pew, over the pew, on the floor, under the pew, all the while being very loud.

I'm all for family sitting together in church, but that does require well trained children and discipline if necessary, which includes taking a misbehaving child out of the sanctuary, correcting them and not returning until that child has settled down.

Thankfully, in our current church, we've not had any prOBlems with children of those who attend regularly.

• Members

My pastor will not stand for any distractions in the service, if the parent does not control the child, he will very publicly from the pulpit.  This goes for adults to, though not directly to them from the pulpit, but generically he will ask for "distractions" to cease.  If you are rattling candy paper, passing notes to others, leaving the service for the restroom often (especially during invitation), or clipping your nails (it actually happened) during service he will say something.  Our pastor is very particular about the sanctuary as well.  There is no eating or drinking allowed in it (breath mint, or unwrapped candy to help stay alert excepted), and children absolutely are forbidden from playing at/on the altar before and after service.  I am blessed with arguably the best marriage and family pastor in the U.S. (he has been our pastor for 20 years now), He is the keynote speaker nationwide often at marriage and family retreats.  Because of the fabulous parenting messages we get from him, our church parents are turning out incredible kids.  Our small church has not failed to come in first place out of 30+ churches at bible camp competions for the last 14 years now.  

Bro. Garry

Edited by 2bLikeJesus

• Members

At one church I attended there was a woman in the pew in front of us and sitting down a ways, who always tended to her fingernails during service. She would file them, poke them and yes, I even saw and heard her trim a nail once. I don't think that pastor ever noticed what she was doing as she kept her hands low. If someone were not in the same pew or the one behind her, it's likely they couldn't have seen, but others prOBably heard some of what she was doing.

• Members

My pet peeve is people not keeping their pets out of my yard.
Cats in our back yard....
Evidence that dogs have been in our front yard.

I would rather have birds in my back yard, and not surprises in my front yard.

Don't get me wrong - I love cats. I just couldn't eat a whole one in one sitting. :lol:

• Members

I feel your pain TH. I am almost OCD when it comes to order.  All my cans in the cupboard, or spices on the racks are in alphabetical order with all labels facing out.  Everything in my home has it's place, and I can't fall asleep if something is OBviously out of order.  A crooked picture on the wall will drive me insane.