• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Pet Peeves

• Members

I agree with that one! That's really gross, to me anyway, and totally unprofessional.

That's one of my pet peeves, the near total lack of professionalism, of having some sort of character requirements, professional standards.

When I go to a restaurant I don't want to see a waitress in low rider pants that shows things that shouldn't be seen in public, especially in an eating establishment.

When I was in my teens I remember being taught the importance of looking good for a jOB interview and being ready to meet the jOB requirements for professionalism, conduct and yes, even our appearance.

Today in nearly every kind of business the women are immodestly dressed and these days that also means they have ugly tattoos, and piercing showing. They might have purple hair with streaks of blue. A sales lady a couple weeks ago had the outside half of her eyelids painted dark brown, which actually made it look like someone had punched her, and the inside half some pale color. It looked sick.

• Members

One of my pet peeves is getting behind someone at gas station when all I want to do is hand them $20 for pump 5 and I'm behind someone who's trying to buy cigarettes the cashier can't find, then they want to pick all their numbers for lotto tickets, then they'll stand and scratch their scratch tickets to see if they one anything, usually another ticket to stand their and scratch. :verymad:

• Moderators

It drives me nuts when people say they do something "24/7". I asked someone if they prayed and they told me "Yup! 24/7!". I said, "really? when do you sleep?"

Also, "blah blah blah". Drives me nuts! Now I will say it as a joke to my wife, but only because she knows I hate it when someone says it because they are too lazy to finish a sentence.

• Members

Try walking around my campus here in Oregon where the women have to shave other than their legs in order to wear the shorts they wear to school.  The pocket liners hanging out 4 inches below the cut line cover much more skin than the rest of the shorts.  I am tempted to get a service dog for the blind and come to school with super dark glasses I can't see through.

• Members

Speaking of pets..one of my pet peeves is people who have to carry their dog with them everywhere they go.  I love pets and love my dog, but there is no way he is going with me to the store, or if he does, he is staying in the bed of the pickup.

• Members

One of our pet hates is women news reports saying that something is 'iconic.'   Hardly a news prog is shown without at least one thing being described as 'iconic.

Edited to remove 'women'.  I don't know how that got there, I was prOBably going to write something completely different.

Edited by Invicta

• Members

I don't mind women preaching, but I hate it when they try to elevate themselves over God.

In Philadelphia, PA, Levette Humphrey told her congregation (she is the pastor there, smh) that she did not care what God was leading a person to do, if the person does not get permission from the pastor, they are not to do it!

And the gullible sheeple clapped and cheered.

• Members
When I go to a restaurant I don't want to see a waitress in low rider pants that shows things that shouldn't be seen in public, especially in an eating establishment.

Don't know about the US but the standard of waiting in UK is awful. Some pet hates:

• Food isn't all brought out at the same time. "I'm sorry sir but the xyz will be another 5 minutes". So then the diners either have to start before one poor fellow has his food, or sit there and let their food go cold. One of these days I'll tell the waiter to take the rest of it back out and bring it all back when it's ready.
  • Taking things off the table while people are eating, like empty glasses. Short of glasses? Buy more.
  • Clearing plates when there are still some people eating. That's basically telling diners that they're being too slow.
  • Being too attentive. We came to eat together, not answer your questions. We'll signal when we want something.
  • Food being slammed down in front of you from any angle, even over other diner's heads.

I hardly ever eat out but whenever I do I'll get at least three of the above. Indian Restaurants are the only places that seem to care about waiting standards anymore.

• Members

Those waitresses that stop buy each time they walk by the table and ask if everything is alright, even when they see everyone has mouths full of food and are doing well. Then if you do want them, they are nowhere to be found!

There really should be a rule in gas stations that once a customer buys their lottery tickets they have to leave the checkout counter and scratch them off elsewhere and then get back in line if they have a winner or want something more.

• Members

If I am going to a restaurant with people I have not seen in years, I will immediately pull the waiter/waitress aside and tell him/her that I am catching up on years away from dear friends/family, and that if they will allow us to be very slow and visit, that we will be ordering desserts and I will tip double the normal amount so that they don't lose the tips of 2 dining groups during the time we spend.  I have not had any prOBlems at all after that, and the service was typically stellar.  I always keep my word as well and give a very generous tip, typically 35 - 40% in that situation.  

When it is just me dining. "typical" since I am a bachelor and like to eat out at least once a week, I instruct the waiter/waitress (I refuse to call them waitpersons) that I will be "done" when I place my napkin across my plate.  If there is a coaster or napkin on my cup/glass I do not want any more refills either.  I am also loyal to a waiter/waitress that has given me excellent service in the past, and I will specifically request to be seated in their section and will wait if need be.  

Some of this may be because my daughter is a career waitress with over 15 years experience now, and an extremely good one.  She makes 70K + every year.  She worked for one place for 8 years and when new management came in they mistreated her, so she left, and took with her almost 25% of their business that were loyal to her and followed her to where she went.  The owner came in after a couple of months of that and fired all the management and brought/bought my daughter back with a substantial benefits package.  She is still there to this day.

Bro. Garry