• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

A Recommendation For Mature Christians

2bLikeJesus

• Members

If you are like me and have been saved for over 30 years, you have most likely read the bible cover to cover multiple times over the years (of course if you have it has made you IFB).  I found myself not getting as much out my reading after so many times through it that I had to try something that would get me to a deeper understanding of the Bible while using the Bible only. I generally try to stay away from all the commentaries. 

Solution:  I hand wrote the bible verse by verse in it's entirety.  I am on my second time now.  It takes me about 2 years to complete, but it sure does give you a in depth look at the bible and it's amazing how you pick up on individual words that you failed to notice before.   It is tedious but greatly rewarding and I recommend it to anyone seeking a deeper understanding of the Bible. 

Bro. Garry

In His will.  By His power,  For His glory.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't know If I could consider myself a mature Christian, but I recently started a new method for getting the scriptures into my heart.

I have taken the book of Ecclesiastes and I attempt to memorize it one verse a day.

here's how I do it.

I read the Chapter of whatever verse I am on for the day. I also read another chapter from the same book, for example today I am on Chapter 10, but today I read chapter 4 as well (tonight I

ll jump to chapter 5, when I get to the end, I start the process over again with chapter 1.). that way it helps me to get the whole view of the book, I then after reading the chapters I will read my verse for the day for about 10 minutes over and over and over again. I do this process when I wake up and before I go to sleep. I do not retain all the verses perfectly but it is helping me to really understand the book as whole. The verse by verse method really helps me to examine the verses in detail. and reading the chapter of my verse for the day gives me it's context with the chapter. and reading through the book consecutively in chapters really helps me get it in the context of the whole book. I am finding this to be a fantastic method, it does take time, but I believe it's helpful. Once I finish I'll have prOBably read every verse in the book about 40 times. I highly recommend this method.

Hope this makes sense. do you guys understand the method?

• Members

Yes, John, and it certainly has helped me with "addresses".  I tend to rely to much on technology to provide book, chapter and verse for passages I know are in the bible.  Doing this has helped me remember where things are, or at least gets me in the right neighborhood more often.  I am not looking in Ephesians for a verse that is in Galatians as often.

• Members

I've noticed a lot of Sunday schools don't do much of this anymore. It used to be common for Sunday school to have children write out some verses, especially those they were working to memorize. They used to also teach the books of the Bible and everyone was expected to have a Bible and turn to where the reading was located.

Many Sunday schools no longer do any of this. They claim it's no longer useful since most of the children use electronic devices, even for reading books and as their Bible. I've also heard many say today's children think such stuff is too hard and too boring so why bother.

There is so much to be said for writing out Scripture and for knowing how to find books and verses in an a print Bible.

• Members

Our church is always doing Bible Speed drill competitions.  We prOBably did 1 hour of speed drills on the long bus ride down to youth camp.  I find there is a huge advantage for people like me that use a old very used bible where the pages don't stick together and easily separate, and you are able to thump span the corner to reveal large sections.  I am hard to beat at finding verses with my old worn out bible.  A bible that is falling apart usually belongs to someone who isn't. 

• Members

Thanks brother Garry I know now I'm not alone in doing this ,I started doing this about ten years ago and still do it now, I've been adding notes to scripture were God has spoken to me through His word the last ten years and it's a joy and a blessing going back to the old notebooks and seeing how God has changed my life in many ways  but beware this hunger can become additive and a joy when you open your bible at home ,at church or to witness to the lost.

Holly Spirit lead rightly dividing the word of God hiding it one word at a time in your heart " Amen "

God bless brother Garry

• Members

We had to increase our Bible budget because so many people coming into the church don't have Bibles of their own. Apparently, many other churches don't use Bible's in the Sunday schools so when we get new children in our church they often need a Bible. We believe it's worth the cost to have a case of Bibles always on hand to give to those who need them. We've had to give out a lot of these for AWANA and we also give a Bible with their name on it to our children who enter "first grade" Sunday school.

We may seem old fashioned and perhaps even dull to some, but we believe it's still important for children, youth, as well as adults, to have their own Bible and learn to use them.

• Members

I used to read fast as I wanted to read the Bible through 100 times.. Now that I have reached my goal the Lord is laying on my heart to read slowly and concentrate more on what I read.. I am doing this and seeing things I have ne ver seen before

• Members

Back when I first started morning Bible readings I was interested in getting a certain amount read each morning. While I still benefited from the daily reading, I was missing much. Since then I've come to take a more relaxed approach. I still aim for a certain amount each morning but if the Lord leads me to read less, or more, I do so, while taking the time to pay more attention to what I'm actually reading, and to stop and reread and/or pray about some verse or passage.

Archived