• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Music!!!

Anon

• Members
http://www.johnmarshallfamily.com/

John Marshall family is I think one of the most outstanding families as far as a combination of seperation from the world, godliness, and great music. All the kids are in the ministry as far as I know, and doing a great job. My favorites are the ones when the guys are still at home singing with the group.... and then the new one with the brothers/wives quartet from Florida. They write alot of their own music too (well the one oldest daughter) and they are full of meaning.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
I've not heard about shape singing before - other than when you and Samer were at that camp and he mentioned it. Can you explain it a bit, or is there a website, Rachel?

I also have not heard the Marshall's! :eek I'm with Jess - I like Darcel McCoy, too. We have one of his cd's and the one that the whole family did. Good stuff.

I like the groups that Steve Petit puts together, too.

I also love to hear Diana Gonzalez sing. Her cd is great.

Someone gave us a cd for Christmas. It's called "The River is Wide." It's by Bronn Journey. He plays the harp. It is just beautiful!! His wife also plays (violin, I think). They have several different styles of cd's out.

Here's a sample:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLH-2_bg8ok
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfDQdK2t ... re=related (O Holy Night, with her singing)

Shape-note singing can be kind hard to explain...basically instead of just round notes on a staff the notes are shaped. DO-RE-MI-FA-SOL-LA-TI all have shapes that make them easily identifiable. Each shape has a particular sound no matter where you move it on the staff. DO is always the key. ex: if the key of your song is the key of C, then the DO shape goes on C and the rest of the shapes are built on that. It's easier for me to talk about than to write it out in an explanation.

Here's a list of schools and conventions. Some of which I attend yearly. http://gospelsingingconventions.com/singing6.html

Also browsing around on You-tube for shape-note gospel singing gives some great results. Just be sure it's not Sacred Harp, which is cool, but only uses 4 shapes so it sounds kinda eerie. You may still enjoy it though. :)

I love all the great music recommendations...I'll have to check some of these artists out that y'all are talking about! :)

• Members

I have come to really enjoy harp music. I like to listen to it when I study or just to relax. I saw Jim Brikman mentioned earlier. He is great when I need to go to sleep :lol

One of the best teachings I ever heard on music was from an evangelist years ago. He basically taught that music paints pictures. What picture does the music you listen to paint in your head. This helped me weed out a lot of music that wasnt the best to be listening to. :Green

Being raised unsaved and no church influence I will admit what most christians wont. When in a store when I hear certain songs from my past the flesh wants to listen to it and the spirit does not. Talk about a battle. :-S :ooops

I thank God for the Holy Spirit within me :smile

• Members
I have come to really enjoy harp music. I like to listen to it when I study or just to relax. I saw Jim Brikman mentioned earlier. He is great when I need to go to sleep :lol

One of the best teachings I ever heard on music was from an evangelist years ago. He basically taught that music paints pictures. What picture does the music you listen to paint in your head. This helped me weed out a lot of music that wasnt the best to be listening to. :Green

Being raised unsaved and no church influence I will admit what most christians wont. When in a store when I hear certain songs from my past the flesh wants to listen to it and the spirit does not. Talk about a battle. :-S :ooops

I thank God for the Holy Spirit within me :smile

Oh totally! My flesh likes ot get in the way at times like that as well. My hubby didn't get saved until 16, and was into lots of really awful music, so when he hears those songs in the store he can sing almost every word. He has to work hard not to listen to it and I try to encourage him.

+1 to the Marshalls Kitagrl. Their music is definately at the top with me. I remember when I was little(from about three up to eight or so) they would come through the church that I and my family were in at the time fairly often. They were a little more conservative than that church and their music style was a good bit different from the style of most of the singers who came through and I really liked it. I am a big fan of harmony and they are very good at that. I used to listen to their cassette tapes over and over and over and over.... :lol: Of course there was about ten of them in their family group then and the harmony was even better because of the numbers, but oh well, times change, still good memories. :thumb

That is strange, either I have a lot lower quality standards than you do or you got a bad batch. Now some of their older recordings from the late eighties and early nineties are indeed lacking in sound quality, but that is because they were recorded years ago on cassette tapes and only semi-professionally at that. It isn't going to match the sound quality you would get on something from the Wilds for example. :wink

• Members

My stuff was from the late 80's. I don't give family groups second chances when you spend almost $100 and end up throwing it all away. It wasn't just poor sound, it was terrible singing also. They were out of key and it was extremely poorly done.

I love listening to their singing live.

• Members

PastorJ if you order the quartet (recent) you won't be disappointed...I find the cds done around the time of "Watchman" and "Stand by God's Man" and afterwards, are a huge step in quality and done very well.

Except the camp song cd...I was a little disappointed in that one, as its the entire camp singing the songs, so not very professional.