• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Music!!!

Anon

• Members

I'm going to start this thread just because I CAN! :Bleh

We can name and talk about our favorite music groups without having somebody come in and start talking about Casting Crowns or Jars of Clay.... at least I hope.....

Anyway I love the Marshall family, and two of the sons married two sisters and they put out an awesome cd, from their church in Florida. Anyone have that?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I have one of Abigail's cd's too. I had a best friend in high school who we are actually still in contact with each other...before she moved to where I was, she was best friends with Abigail. So I met her a few times while in high school. She has a lovely voice.

• Members
I love Casting Crowns or Jars of Clay, and Ray Boltz. :Bleh

Just kidding, I don't think I ever heard any CC or JoC music, and I really do not care too. I do like a lot of the music that North Valley puts out.

AHHHHH!

LOL

I like North Valley. Samer's friend, Mike, goes to school there. I have one of their cds. My fAV kind of music is Shape-note gospel music as sung by the singing conventions in the south. It's my passion and what I'd love to spend my whole life doing. There's nothing like it in the world.

• Members

BroMatt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :verymad:

As far as classical, I love most things written/conducted by John Williams...he does alot of the Olympic themes, some movie themes, and some really grand and patriotic stuff.

While I probably wouldn't recommend watching the movies, "The Patriot" is an AWESOME soundtrack by Williams, and "Saving Private Ryan" is a very low key, nice one as well. Also "Summon the Heroes" is a wonderful Olympic soundtrack. John Williams has the most awesome, full orchestra, grand sounding music ever.

• Members

I've heard the Marshall family on OCR and like their music. My favorite style is traditional sacred which would include BJU, Wilds, Northland, etc. but I do enjoy most styles that fall in the conservative genre. I think there can be a good context for them. For instance, I enjoy hearing negro spirituals sung by black men - Darcel McCoy comes to mind.

Rachel, have you heard of a style of singing called "Fa-So-La"? It goes along with shape-note singing. We had a pastor once who enjoyed that Appalachian style. One time he sang a special where he had the congregation do some of the notes sounds (fa-so-la-ti, etc.) at the beginning and then he had us join him on the last verse.

• Members
I've heard the Marshall family on OCR and like their music. My favorite style is traditional sacred which would include BJU, Wilds, Northland, etc. but I do enjoy most styles that fall in the conservative genre. I think there can be a good context for them. For instance, I enjoy hearing negro spirituals sung by black men - Darcel McCoy comes to mind.

Rachel, have you heard of a style of singing called "Fa-So-La"? It goes along with shape-note singing. We had a pastor once who enjoyed that Appalachian style. One time he sang a special where he had the congregation do some of the notes sounds (fa-so-la-ti, etc.) at the beginning and then he had us join him on the last verse.

Yes, FA-SO-LA, also known as Sacred Harp is really interesting. I sing all 7 shapes (not just 4 as the fa-so-la folks do), but the style I sing is a branch off of Sacred Harp singing.

It's a lot of fun! The shapes we say are actual shapes written as notes on the page making it very easy to read the music, harmonize, and compose.

• Administrators

I've not heard about shape singing before - other than when you and Samer were at that camp and he mentioned it. Can you explain it a bit, or is there a website, Rachel?

I also have not heard the Marshall's! :eek I'm with Jess - I like Darcel McCoy, too. We have one of his cd's and the one that the whole family did. Good stuff.

I like the groups that Steve Petit puts together, too.

I also love to hear Diana Gonzalez sing. Her cd is great.

Someone gave us a cd for Christmas. It's called "The River is Wide." It's by Bronn Journey. He plays the harp. It is just beautiful!! His wife also plays (violin, I think). They have several different styles of cd's out.

Here's a sample:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLH-2_bg8ok
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfDQdK2t ... re=related (O Holy Night, with her singing)