• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

GraceSaved

Agreement/disagreement With The Pastor

heartstrings, could you move this conversation over to the thread begun specifically for the sermon?  '?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

That way this thread isn't hijacked.  Thanks (Carl, please post your comments over there, too. Thanks.).

Thank you for sharing that GraceSaved!

We serve a wonderful God! Whenever we step out in accord with His Word, even though it may seem dark and no clear path can be seen, He is ever faithful to work all things together for good! When a door is closed to us, He opens another.

I'm rejoicing with you in what the Lord has provided.

My journey so far....so I found out that the church I visited that the friend recommended believes in speaking in (modern) tongues.  Do I go to the church that does not believe in eternal security, speaks in tongues (although they apparently do not practice in a corporate setting due to it being controversial) or not go anywhere at all?

I would leave the Pentecostals, Assemblies of God, and  "Holiness" places alone. Stay away from
Freewill Baptists also because they do not hold to eternal security either. I would recommend that you find a Bible believing Independent Fundamental Baptist church.

It really depends a great deal upon the pastor. That Assemblies of God church I was saved in had a conservative pastor who preached well from the Bible. While they officially believed in speaking in tongues, it wasn't something that was ever practiced in the church nor did the pastor ever preach upon that during the time I attended. The pastor who took his place was almost totally the opposite. He didn't preach good sermons from the Bible, he did talk a lot about speaking in tongues, he did speak in tongues from the stage (he turned the platform into a stage by putting a rock band there) and he encourged everyone to speak in tongues. That's when I left.

There was a time I attended a Church of Christ (I think it was that, it was the church where they don't believe in musical intruments for worship). Officially that church has some teachings I don't believe in, but the pastor during those few months I was there never once touched upon anything particular to that denominations stances. His sermons were biblically sound and he conducted a men's Bible study that was biblically sound; again with nothing from the denominations teachings ever put forth. I was only there for about three months as I was transitioning from another church that had gone bad due to a new pastor coming in and changing everything to a more modernistic and entertainment style.

If you can find a church that's "good enough", one that preaches the Word and will edify you without filling your mind with strange teachings, then attend there until the Lord leads you to a permanent church home.

I know many folks who are in SBC churches, various non-denominational churches and others where they are being fed the Word and able to grow in Christ even though there are points they take issue with in those churches.

From my experience, as well as from what others have said to me, if you can't attend a really good church but there is a good, or sometimes just an okay church you can attend, that's better than no church at all.

Again, it often comes down to the pastor and what he chooses to focus upon for his preaching and teaching.

Be in much prayer and follow the Lord's leading.

I was shocked one time when visiting family to hear good preaching at a Methodist church.  The pastor had been the pastor there for 54 years, and was still preaching the same as when he started.  I guess the Methodist church wasn't always the horrible mess it is in today.  So, don't give up.  It doesn't have to say "Baptist" on the sign to have a good pastor leading the flock.  

You do, indeed, face a difficult decision:

Go to a church with some aberrant teachings

or

Go nowhere.

Both have challenges to them.  Personally, I would choose the church with the fewest aberrant doctrines, because no matter where you go, chances are there will be something you disagree with-a perfect church wouldn't want you, or me, as part anywaqys because we would surely bring them down a notch or two.

But, the reason I would go the way I would, is because to get out altogether is dangerous-a church with a few dfficulties will challenge one to study things out, to better learn the doctrines in question. And you'll certainly have to stay in prayer, and teach your children the truth of the matter, but to get out al the way can set a precedence in your live that can be very dfficult to overcome.  I got out of church for a while due to issues I had with the pastor, and I found it difficult to get back in again, and then, to remain faithful. It took my new pastor to lovingly, but firmly, call me on lying about why I was missing service to wake me up, humble me and get right. But it was hard. Believers are made to seek fellowship and to be a part of a church-to not be a part is unnatural for the believer, so better to go somewhere where there might be some wrong teachings, (if not too bad), and keep yourself pure, while reaping the benefits of the assembly, than to leave it all, even for a while, and risk falling into a spiritual stupor.

What if the only options are Churches that don't teach or preach from the KJV?  That is how it is in our town.  MV's, CCM, Catholic, Mormon or Jehovah's Witness.  Not any that I care to attend.

Amos 3:3 Can two walk together, except they be agreed?

If the differences are such that the two can't walk together, then it's time to either move to where there is a good one, or start a new work. (And to be honest, I'm not sure that I would say that the tithing issue is a separation issue). If it was I could never be an IFB because prOBably 95% teach tithing. I think they are wrong, but if I give I give as a free-will offering, not a tithe-the guys doing the books can call it whatever they like.

For me, the tithing is an issue. I am not welcome back at that Church unless I admit to them that I am wrong about tithes... which, of course, will never happen. How can I lie against the truth?

Moving is not an option for me, not enough finances to even consider it.

Edited by Standing Firm In Christ

If the differences are such that the two can't walk together, then it's time to either move to where there is a good one, or start a new work. (And to be honest, I'm not sure that I would say that the tithing issue is a separation issue). If it was I could never be an IFB because prOBably 95% teach tithing. I think they are wrong, but if I give I give as a free-will offering, not a tithe-the guys doing the books can call it whatever they like.

I would ask you to present some proof that "95% teach tithing".

This is not my experience at all.

I have NEVER personally heard the tithe taught as a necessity in any IFB church I have ever been to.

I certainly am not saying it does not happen, but when people use terms like "95%" or even "most", I find it hard to believe.

I have heard people use it as "an example to follow, but only as the Lord leads", never as a necessity - the heart of giving is always emphasised.

So - prove it, or stop it.

Proof of "most" or "95%" or else stop saying it.

How about saying "Whenever people preach tithing as a necessity it is wrong"?

That I have no prOBlem with.

At all.

In any way......

But stop making accusations that are simply not true.

It is not 95%, nor in my experience is it "most".

MY personal experience is that it is actually NO IFB church preaches it, but I have heard reports of some who do, so I would never say that no IFB church preaches - that would by just as wrong as saying "95%" or "Most".

"Some do" would be an acceptable statement - but not "95%".

I don't know about IFB in Australia, but here in America most preach the tithe, and a good many of them preach on the subject often, and a good many of those use the appeal to greed and fear in order to "convince" their congregation to tithe.

I've heard very few IFB pastors in America preach NT giving.

I know my pastor preaches to tithe, then we have a whole month of "missionary month" in OctOBer, which is just a whole month of trying to get blood out of turnips in my church. We have an average Sunday adult attendance in church of average of 12 regulars, 20 on a good Sunday. Not all tithe or "give willingly". I hear how God will get it out of you someway, your car will break down and be the price of what you would normally give. Then every year, want you to increase your giving to the church, to the missionaries, to the school, or whatever pet project is going on at the moment.

Since there is only one IFB Church in my town, and it teaches that God requires Church members to tithe their money, then I would say 100% of the IFB Churches in my town teach that false doctrine.

Likewise, when I lived in Randleman, NC, there was only one IFB Church in the whole town.  It also taught that God requires Church members to tithe their money.  So, again.  100% of the IFB Churches in Randleman teach that false doctrine.

Matter of fact, in every IFB Church I have ever visited teach that God requires Church members to tithe their money.  So, again.  100% of the IFB Churches I have visited teach that false doctrine.