• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Agreement/disagreement With The Pastor

GraceSaved

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

To answer the OP, and not throw gas on the fire of doctrinal discussion...

I was raised in an IFB church by my IFB preacher Dad my whole life, saved at the age of 5 and surrendered to preach at 14. I have been in the ministry for twenty years, many of those years as a missionary, a pastor or an assistant pastor. I tell you this only to define and illustrate that I have been on both sides of the pulpit extensively. Through my experience ... and that's all it is, I would recommend you quietly find a church to fellowship with that agrees with you fully on the fundamentals. And my Sister, may I gently say that continuing to Bible Study with those who you are unable to worship with will not turn out to be...profitable? For either of you. The christian life is hard enough in these last days without you taking on a burden God has neither called nor asked you to carry. A pastor and his wife will believe what they have chosen to believe, and I'm pretty sure God does not call upon you to break down that wall.

It is just my experience, not scripture, but my experience has been hard won through many tears and scars. If it helps you, I rejoice.

• Members

I didn't end up going to the Tue. night Bible study at their house (I was sick) and I haven't been back to the church. I sent them a couple emails but they haven't responded so I am taking it in a way that I was given a way out, if that makes sense. However, I did visit a church tonight that a friend recommended and guess what they talked about??? Eternal security!!! :-) And in the children's class they are studying on choosing wise words and having them memorize Proverbs 15:1 which we've been currently teaching our kids at home. Coincidence? I don't think so.

• Members

Thank you for sharing that GraceSaved!

We serve a wonderful God! Whenever we step out in accord with His Word, even though it may seem dark and no clear path can be seen, He is ever faithful to work all things together for good! When a door is closed to us, He opens another.

I'm rejoicing with you in what the Lord has provided.

• Members

My journey so far....so I found out that the church I visited that the friend recommended believes in speaking in (modern) tongues.  Do I go to the church that does not believe in eternal security, speaks in tongues (although they apparently do not practice in a corporate setting due to it being controversial) or not go anywhere at all?

• Members

I would leave the Pentecostals, Assemblies of God, and  "Holiness" places alone. Stay away from
Freewill Baptists also because they do not hold to eternal security either. I would recommend that you find a Bible believing Independent Fundamental Baptist church.

• Members

It really depends a great deal upon the pastor. That Assemblies of God church I was saved in had a conservative pastor who preached well from the Bible. While they officially believed in speaking in tongues, it wasn't something that was ever practiced in the church nor did the pastor ever preach upon that during the time I attended. The pastor who took his place was almost totally the opposite. He didn't preach good sermons from the Bible, he did talk a lot about speaking in tongues, he did speak in tongues from the stage (he turned the platform into a stage by putting a rock band there) and he encourged everyone to speak in tongues. That's when I left.

There was a time I attended a Church of Christ (I think it was that, it was the church where they don't believe in musical intruments for worship). Officially that church has some teachings I don't believe in, but the pastor during those few months I was there never once touched upon anything particular to that denominations stances. His sermons were biblically sound and he conducted a men's Bible study that was biblically sound; again with nothing from the denominations teachings ever put forth. I was only there for about three months as I was transitioning from another church that had gone bad due to a new pastor coming in and changing everything to a more modernistic and entertainment style.

If you can find a church that's "good enough", one that preaches the Word and will edify you without filling your mind with strange teachings, then attend there until the Lord leads you to a permanent church home.

I know many folks who are in SBC churches, various non-denominational churches and others where they are being fed the Word and able to grow in Christ even though there are points they take issue with in those churches.

From my experience, as well as from what others have said to me, if you can't attend a really good church but there is a good, or sometimes just an okay church you can attend, that's better than no church at all.

Again, it often comes down to the pastor and what he chooses to focus upon for his preaching and teaching.

Be in much prayer and follow the Lord's leading.

• Members

I was shocked one time when visiting family to hear good preaching at a Methodist church.  The pastor had been the pastor there for 54 years, and was still preaching the same as when he started.  I guess the Methodist church wasn't always the horrible mess it is in today.  So, don't give up.  It doesn't have to say "Baptist" on the sign to have a good pastor leading the flock.  

Archived