• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Agreement/disagreement With The Pastor

GraceSaved

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

SFIC: I have moved past eternal security and on to fellowship with other believers. If I know someone is open to learning and growing and is aware they don't understand everything, I have no prOBlem continuing fellowship with such. So, I guess I answered my own question.

• Members

We all agree that a truly saved person cannot be lost, e.g. we are born again children of God, bought with the precious blood of Christ, and NOTHING can separate us from the love of God in Christ.

The prOBlem is, passages such as Heb. 6:4-6 ( & Heb. 3 & 10) appear to teach loss of salvation. I submit that the Hebrews being warned were in a specific situation - many had actually witnessed Jesus & his miracles & heard his teaching, further, they had the witness of the Apostles & their miracles in the name of Jesus. Some would have shouted "crucify him!" Some would have heard the Pentecostal outpouring, & mocked the Apostles.

Heb. 2:1 Therefore we ought to give the more earnest heed to the things which we have heard , lest at any time we should let them slip . 2 For if the word spoken by angels was stedfast, and every transgression and disOBedience received a just recompence of reward; 3 How shall we escape , if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him; 4 God also bearing them witness , both with signs and wonders, and with divers miracles, and gifts of the Holy Ghost, according to his own will?

Some of these would have known Peter's warning in Acts 3:22-23  quoting Deut. 18:18-19 so they are in a situation that can never arise again. They had the choice - Moses & old covenant worship, or Christ & the new covenant. Some would remember the words of Jesus spoken against their leaders & the towns where his miracles were performed.

In Heb. 3, they are reminded of the 40 years wandering as  a result of disOBedience. At the time of writing the 40 years allowed "this generation" is coming to end. Make your mind up to commit to Christ TODAY or perish in the prophesied destruction.

Your church leader has presumably misunderstood such passages as teaching loss of salvation. He may also have known folk he accepted as true believers who have turned right away. I know of some. The logic then would be - these believers have fallen away, therefore it is possible for believers to fall away. He's got a lot to learn from the Scriptures. Is a major point in his teaching? Have you been able to discuss that teaching with others in the church?

One last major point:

When he preaches the Gospel, how does a sinner become saved, according to his teaching?

• Members

Hey GS, personally, and based on the information you have given us, I would separate; but you know the situation more fully than us.
My only advice further is that if you choose to stay, keep your eyes wide open: I suspect that with this basic issue will come other issues, and some of them may be extremely subtle, but extremely important.
Dave.

• Moderators

I'm praying for you, GS. It's not easy to find a good church. Don't be discouraged!  Satan likes to fool us by thinking we're discouraged when we haven't really lost courage - we're only disappointed. And saddened. Don't be downhearted! (No, no, no! :wink)

• Members

Keep the matter in much prayer and listen for the Lord's direction.

If you are being edified in some manner by attending that church then the Lord may want you to remain there until He lets you know of another church.

I've attended church where they had some things I didn't agree with but the pastor didn't preach on those matters so it was a blessing to be there as I was looking for a new church home.

On another occasion I had a brief period where the Lord didn't lead me to attend any of the "off" churches before He finally directed me to a new church.

It's so important to follow the Lord's leading in these matters.

As Salyan said, don't let the devil get you down. Keep drawing close to the Lord, He will draw close to you, and He will provide.

• Members

Not meaning to discourage you - just keep your eyes wide open and your heart and mind Berean - search those scriptures (which you should no matter what preaching you are under).

Archived