• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Bluegrass Music

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, I mean....some people might teach bluegrass is bad if they grew up in an unsaved country music background. They also might say it is bad if they just plain don't prefer it.

Those who say it's good prOBably grew up with it or just enjoy it.

I think with a lot of music it kind of goes with conscience. If you are close to God and the music makes you uncomfortable, then you shouldn't listen to it.

I've heard preachers pick apart the beat or rhythm of music but it's too confusing and often difficult to consistently enforce.

In my opinion there is nothing wrong with bluegrass. I prefer a southern gospel sound to a modern contemporary sound....but I know of opposite people who much prefer praise and worship to the bluegrass.

For reference, I don't agree with groups like Casting Crowns because to me it's too much like the worlds music.

• Members

Well, I mean....some people might teach bluegrass is bad if they grew up in an unsaved country music background. They also might say it is bad if they just plain don't prefer it.

Those who say it's good prOBably grew up with it or just enjoy it.

I think with a lot of music it kind of goes with conscience. If you are close to God and the music makes you uncomfortable, then you shouldn't listen to it.

I've heard preachers pick apart the beat or rhythm of music but it's too confusing and often difficult to consistently enforce.

In my opinion there is nothing wrong with bluegrass. I prefer a southern gospel sound to a modern contemporary sound....but I know of opposite people who much prefer praise and worship to the bluegrass.

For reference, I don't agree with groups like Casting Crowns because to me it's too much like the worlds music.

It's so hypocritical to condemn Casting Crowns because it sounds like rock and to then embrace Southern Gospel.

Southern Gospel is built largely upon the Ragtime Piano Rhythms and Jazzy Rhythms which came straight out of the saloons and whorehouses in the early 1900's. Southern Gospel also often uses the same type of beat as soft rock; it's using the same beat a lot of the early rock and roll artists used. Some early popular Southern Gospel artists also associated with Elvis Presley. 

James_3:17  But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. 

You're Southern Gospel is just as worldly as Christian Rock. 

I speak this from personal OBservation and experience as well, I use to listen to Southern Gospel.

• Members

It depends on the southern gospel really.....

But as I said before, most music standards come from background and preference rather than Gods word.

1John_2:15-16  Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 
 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. 

James 4:4  Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God. 

a lot of the issues with music come down to the varying degrees a person is willing to submit to these verses, another factor is the ignorance people have a but music, which sometimes is often willful ignorance. 

Hosea_4:6  My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children. 

People just don't care to be educated on the roots and development of music, the carnal and worldly aspects of music are very apparent if one would take the time to seek out the truth. 

• Members

As was said, much of it comes down to preference. Even many hymns were written by those most IFBs would associate with, would separate from, would argue against if they met them. Yet because the hymns are liked, they are deemed acceptable. At the same time, if someone says they like a Getty hymn, they may get terribly attacked even if the Getty's, by comparison, are "more biblical" than the authors of the older hymns. There is a great lack of consistency there.

The roots of things doesn't always make something bad. In many cases, it's how something is used that makes it good or bad.

With old style bluegrass Gospel I'm able to really praise and worship the Lord and such often helps me in prayer. The same is true of certain Southern Gospel.

I've been in black churches and I really didn't like the music or the way the songs were sung, but it was OBvious many in attendance were really praising God in song.

Over the years I've read all the pros and cons regarding both secular music and Christian music and just as Suzy said, there is a lot of inconsistency and much is based upon preference rather than God's Word.

Listening to certain Bluegrass Gospel or Southern Gospel doesn't make one a friend of the world just as listening to a hymn from the hymnal doesn't make one closer to God than the others.

The organ and piano were both once soundly rejected as worldly and unworthy to be in a church yet today both are commonly accepted. The music Moody used was viewed by the conservative churches of his day to be worldly and indecent for church yet today's conservative churches embrace that music. At one point only psalms from the Scripture were considered proper for church use. Early hymns were viewed as worldly and unacceptable for church. We know that's no longer the case. Songs were once said to be only properly sung a'capella but most churches today accept some, or even virtually all musical instruments.

Much of this has to do with preference, not truly applicable Scripture.

• Members

So Jordan, this whole thing was a setup so that you could pass judgement on anyone who you disagree with?

I wouldn't expect to get many answers to other threads you start.....

• Members

As was said, much of it comes down to preference. Even many hymns were written by those most IFBs would associate with, would separate from, would argue against if they met them. Yet because the hymns are liked, they are deemed acceptable. At the same time, if someone says they like a Getty hymn, they may get terribly attacked even if the Getty's, by comparison, are "more biblical" than the authors of the older hymns. There is a great lack of consistency there.

The roots of things doesn't always make something bad. In many cases, it's how something is used that makes it good or bad.

With old style bluegrass Gospel I'm able to really praise and worship the Lord and such often helps me in prayer. The same is true of certain Southern Gospel.

I've been in black churches and I really didn't like the music or the way the songs were sung, but it was OBvious many in attendance were really praising God in song.

Over the years I've read all the pros and cons regarding both secular music and Christian music and just as Suzy said, there is a lot of inconsistency and much is based upon preference rather than God's Word.

Listening to certain Bluegrass Gospel or Southern Gospel doesn't make one a friend of the world just as listening to a hymn from the hymnal doesn't make one closer to God than the others.

The organ and piano were both once soundly rejected as worldly and unworthy to be in a church yet today both are commonly accepted. The music Moody used was viewed by the conservative churches of his day to be worldly and indecent for church yet today's conservative churches embrace that music. At one point only psalms from the Scripture were considered proper for church use. Early hymns were viewed as worldly and unacceptable for church. We know that's no longer the case. Songs were once said to be only properly sung a'capella but most churches today accept some, or even virtually all musical instruments.

The Getty's are Ecumenical.

1. The Getty's are ecumenical.. Total Apostates.

2. Your trying to compare something like music, which definately has moral qualities, to something like an instrument, which does not have moral qualities. Music has moral qualities and sends a message of it's own WITHOUT the words.

• Members

Are you sure they were really "worshipping" Because a lot of "worshipping God" that people do is really them worshipping the feelings and emotions that carnal music gives them.

I went to an Assembly of God church where they used Christian Rock, a few of the woman started speaking in tongue (gibberish), They most certainly were not worshipping Jehova, they were worshipping their feelings and masquerading it as worship of Jehova, Entertaining the flesh is not worship, and sadly most cannot tell the difference.

They that worship God must worship him in SPIRIT and in TRUTH. 

Music that appeals to flesh without Christian lyrics certainly doesn't cease to once you place Christian lyrics in it.

Archived