• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Question For Pastors

Anon

• Members

Just curious....what is the best way to candidate for a church long distance without letting your home church know what you are doing? Basically if God leads a pastor on, he has to find a new place before he can tie up loose ends at the old one. How do you manage that? Other than claiming you're going on a huge vacation when they already know you weren't planning on a huge vacation.....

FTR this isn't necessarily us at the moment, but it might be eventually.

• Members

Pastor's are not called to lead churches.  Elders Are.

Pastor's guide and feed flocks of which they are a part of.  this is both spiritual and physical.

Teacher's Teach.

Helpers help.

Administers minister.

the prOBlem is the pastor has replaced elders as the sole leader, and has for sometime now come to be head of a local church, that is run more like a business or corporation.

If a CEO of a corporation was to get and offer from another business to be their CEO then he is topo visit the company and see how he could improve it's profits.  Then the CEO makes is decision to stay or go, then simply places his resignation and departure time.  And before his departure he has to appoint a new leader.  That is how today's church should do it because they are run more on a model for business and corporations.  I have not in my life seen a single church than runs like a New Testament Church.

Ever wonder why you don't see miracles?  that is why.

Get off the CEO's way and get on the FAITH way in Christ.

I have been a pastor for 15years. Currently I am on leave.  No pastor leading the church the elders are, and a young man has been led of God to teach the word each week to the flock I left.

• Members

I see what you are saying but would prefer this thread not turn I to a church leadership debate. LOL. I can mostly agree with you in theory but in practice it is almost impossible these days.

Anyway....even if we wanted elders.....our church is so small and struggling (bad history, long story) that we don't even have anyone qualified (or willing) to even be a deacon, let alone an elder. Been here for 12 years and have really tried to stick things out....but not sure how much longer it's gonna last.

However, we aren't pushing hard and heavy to leave just yet, but have maybe a possible option....but if that's not where God wants us, certainly don't want our church to know.

FTR I have been complaining for awhile that modern churches are absolutely nothing like they were in the NT....but being a woman there isn't much I can do about it. LOL.

• Members

I see what you are saying but would prefer this thread not turn I to a church leadership debate. LOL. I can mostly agree with you in theory but in practice it is almost impossible these days.

Anyway....even if we wanted elders.....our church is so small and struggling (bad history, long story) that we don't even have anyone qualified (or willing) to even be a deacon, let alone an elder. Been here for 12 years and have really tried to stick things out....but not sure how much longer it's gonna last.

However, we aren't pushing hard and heavy to leave just yet, but have maybe a possible option....but if that's not where God wants us, certainly don't want our church to know.

FTR I have been complaining for awhile that modern churches are absolutely nothing like they were in the NT....but being a woman there isn't much I can do about it. LOL.

Kit, I have been doing if for 15 years it is possible. Even now the Lord is supplying for me and my family we go not hungry or without our bills paid.  Anytime I start to work hard to bring home from 300-500 a week the Lord allows me to be hurt to the point that I cannot walk, sit or sleep without severe pain. 

The last three weeks I have been once again in this position and today I have a jOB interview and I will be going in with a very painful Limp. Just to try and get a jOB.  Chances are I wont get it because of my condition.

I served in the mission field without support and when I gained it God allowed deceitful covetous opportunist to get my support for themselves and yet not once did we go hungry or our bills weren't paid.  And he continues to do it even though I am no longer in the field.

So please don't say it can't be done.  Men have turned themselves into hirelings and their churches into organizations that operate as a business.

You are looking on how to handle this situation and it is simple.  Handle it as a CEO would a company because this is how fellowships are handling everything else they do including yours.  Go to the other fellowship, get to know them then if they want that man then he should submit a resignation, date of departure and appoint a new leader before leaving.   case closed

• Members

Generally though he doesn't appoint a new leader....usually the church puts together a committee.

Anyway that wasn't really my question. Basically....if your family has to go candidate somewhere...you don't want your church to know. Because if it doesn't work out, then you would be stuck with a church who know you want to leave and then it's awkward, especially if you end up staying.

• Members

Generally though he doesn't appoint a new leader....usually the church puts together a committee.

Anyway that wasn't really my question. Basically....if your family has to go candidate somewhere...you don't want your church to know. Because if it doesn't work out, then you would be stuck with a church who know you want to leave and then it's awkward, especially if you end up staying.

committees are because of the organizational structure that the church has been placed under.  there should be men in that church ready at the drop of the hat to go one without one hiccup in the ministry to the Body of Christ.

It is all about hearing God speak in the manyfold ways he does. 

When it came to appointment for church leadership how did Paul do it?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I think I would prOBably just say that somebody asked me to come preach for them, and it seemed that this was something from the Lord. 

However, I personally think that I would have an honest "heart to heart" with the leaders within the church, and explain the situation, and then start putting out feelers.  But that's me....

As far as the "elders" thing....As there is no list of qualifications or duties given in the NT, then the only thing we have to go by is the entire Bible teaching on "elders."  And "elders" were just that - older people who have good sense and judgment - who are respected by others.  Thus, nOBody has to "vote" anyone into an "elder" office.  They are the quiet leaders of the church, that the pastor would do well to spend time with for his own edification, counsel, and advice.  When the pastor is not able to fill the pulpit, these elders should have enough Biblical foundation and knowledge to be able to teach and edify the congregation.

However, the office of the "bishop" is a specially appointed office, which we commonly call the office of the "pastor" today.  We as Bible Believing Baptists favor this term over "bishop" to distinguish ourselves from the liturgical churches (RCC, Anglican, and Lutheran.)  We did not want to give the appearance of any type of hierarchy.

Sorry to derail the thread....

back to the topic!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Just curious....what is the best way to candidate for a church long distance without letting your home church know what you are doing? Basically if God leads a pastor on, he has to find a new place before he can tie up loose ends at the old one. How do you manage that? Other than claiming you're going on a huge vacation when they already know you weren't planning on a huge vacation.....

FTR this isn't necessarily us at the moment, but it might be eventually.

Dishonesty for good intentions, especially in the work of God, is never a good idea, especially for a man of God who is called to lead others in the path of right. If the situation demands stealth and a certain level of sneaking, I would question if it is from the Lord. God's way tends to bring hidden things to light, not take open things and hide them. That candidacy would be starting of on a bad foundation.

Archived