• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Being the Holy Spirit?

• Members

I have a question to see what everyone thinks.

Without naming specific issues, I have noticed that preachers (myself included) have to be careful of not playing the roll of the Holy Spirit. Some preachers (and thier wives) Have to always make comments or direct statements to folks about issues that may be more a personal choice rather than a doctrine. They come off rude and insensitive (though I dont think that is the motive) and cause in some cases division also called majoring on the minors.

Yes there are some issues that have to be dealt with swiftly and directly but im not talking about those issues.

Here is what I have been lead of the Lord to do.

Before addressing the issue, pray about it. 9 times out of 10, (in my expirience) the Lord will change the other persons heart, or will change your heart.
If that does not work, talk with them in private and in love, not brow beating them.
Use scripture (in context) and not your opinion. Seen lots of scripture misused to justify a personal belief or preference.

I have found the Holy Spirit does a much better job than I do. what do you all think. :ears:

(Its so nice to be able to ask this without fear of getting piledrived into the ground)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

I think you are so right! I know I have caught myself sometimes ready to tell someone just what was wrong with them. As I've gotten older, I have been a little more able to keep my mouth shut.

As you say, there needs to be prayer before any kind of confrontation. I think a lot of times people leave out part of the verse about restoring brethren: "ye which are spiritual..." Just because we know something is wrong (or, at least, assume we do!) doesn't mean that we are spiritual when we take that person down!

• Members

My husband feels his job is to preach, and its the Holy Spirit's job to convict hearts. He definitely does not micromanage people's lives. Now, they come for advice or counsel, yeah..but most people don't want it if they don't ask! As hard as it is to refrain...

Our youth pastor gives more "unasked for advice" but then dealing with teens, sometimes you have to just be upfront about their sin.

Now if staff guidelines are being broken or other things then yeah it has to be dealt with....but in general most things can be dealt with from the pulpit.

• Members
Kitagrl wrote:

My husband feels his job is to preach, and its the Holy Spirit's job to convict hearts.

Amen. Preaching one of the best counciling times there is. (when the people come to Church :lol )

When out former pastor came, no one had been taught the issues of teh KJV bible. He never told anyone what version they had to use. He simpley preached and taught in love the issue. Within about 18 months 90% of the church was carrying KJV bibles. Ahhhh yes, the work of the Holy Spirit. :amen: :wave:

• Members
I agree' date=' but if someone comes to you for advice, I have always taken the time to show them from Scripture the answer.[/quote']

I agree completely, I thought the OP was referring to just happening to see something wrong with somebody and going up to them and informing them....

• Members

:amen: A very good topic and some great posts here!

It can be easy to allow ourselves to get in the way of the Holy Spirit. Sometimes this is done out of zeal to be helpful and somtimes it can be out of pride or simple carelessness.

Being a Christian now for many years I can look back and see where I have been guilty of this many times in my life. This is probably something that happens to most Christians, especially before they really mature in the Lord.

Even today, after all these years, there are times I have to consciously pause, remind myself to seek the Lord's guidance in all things and allow the Holy Ghost to do His work. In fact, I prayed about this last night because with all the pressures and problems of the past couple of months there have been times I realize I wasn't completely relying upon the Lord.

It's up to us to be obedient to God and His Word and trust Him with the outcome.

• Members

I think the hardest thing is knowing WHEN to speak up. Sometimes if you see somebody making a terrible decision you just really want to say something. My problem is that I do not like to be confrontational (Okay, okay, NO snide remarks here...LOL...yes believe it or not, I am NOT confrontational....I just complain behind people's backs! :lol ) and sometimes I will see someone making what I know to be a horrible decision and I feel like warning them, but my common sense tells me that if they wanted to know, they'd ask...so I say nothing....its hard though.

Its almost like when does God require us to warn others and when does He require us to let others make their own decisions?

There are times I have felt my husband should have warned someone but he didn't feel led of God to do so...but in our days, it also seems NOBODY wants unasked for advice. In the Bible, it seemed more people were more open to one another as to good AND faults...today, you can't say anything to ANY body.

• Members

Many people have the idea that everything is just between them and God. That is not always the case.

For instant, in chapter 5 of 1 Corinthians Paul tells the church at Corinth to take action against the fornicator. No doubt he was brining shame on this church and on the name of Jesus.

But I don't think deputydog was rightly referring to something so serious.

Many times when someone want advise they actually just want someone to listen to them, if one will listen to them they will many times work it out on their own with of course the help of that wonderful Holy Spirit. The things is we need to be sensitive to their need and try to be sure if we inject our advise that they are really wanting it and not just an ear.

I'm like Suzy, I don't want to be confrontational unless I feel its absolutely necessary, so I'm very slow about being confrontational.

But there are some who seem to forget about the work of the Holy Spirit and try to do its job, that is not good. There is no way that man can do the work of the Holy Spirit.

I think I'm mentioned this before. a deacon told about a evangelist they had one time, they went visiting together. The evangelist tried to lead a person to Christ, and refused to leave until that person would accept Christ, or at least tried to stay until he did. He said I was embarrassed when it got way past 10:00 PM on a week night. That he thought he would never get that man out of that house, nearly had to drag him out at just before 11:00 PM. Seems to me this evangelist was trying to do the convicting and not letting the Holy Spirit do its job.

• Members

I've heard of situations where people ask their pastor if they should buy such and such car, such and such house, go on such and such vacation, etc. To me, that is the job of the Holy Spirit. If people cannot find God's will for themselves, they are not a very good Christian. Obviously its good to have counsel (usually Christian car salesmen or realtors would be best in those situations!) but when it comes down to a pastor telling you what to buy, or what you can and cannot have in your home (extra Biblical) then he is stepping into a micromanaging position that is not Biblical.

• Members
I've heard of situations where people ask their pastor if they should buy such and such car' date=' such and such house, go on such and such vacation, etc. To me, that is the job of the Holy Spirit. If people cannot find God's will for themselves, they are not a very good Christian. Obviously its good to have counsel (usually Christian car salesmen or realtors would be best in those situations!) but when it comes down to a pastor telling you what to buy, or what you can and cannot have in your home (extra Biblical) then he is stepping into a micromanaging position that is not Biblical.[/quote']

:amen:

It's sad there are cases where pastors like having such authority and power, which really isn't theirs, and there are Christians who are so weak in their walk with Christ they can't take it to the Lord in prayer and make such decisions for themselves. The pastor is often too busy enjoying the position of these folks turning to him for all things instead of realizing he's helping immature Christians remain immature; he's become their crutch.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I did have a time in my live quite a while back when my pastor called me into his office and "got in my face" concerning a situation (sin) in my live. I was wrong, he was right, and what he did was what I needed at time. I thanked him for it later.

That does not mean I go to him for every decision I need to make. I do not necessarily feel that is wrong. Many times obtaining advise from a spiritually discerning third-party concerning a major decision is wise. This person can be a pastor, teacher or other mature christian.

I did have a time in my live quite a while back when my pastor called me into his office and "got in my face" concerning a situation (sin) in my live. I was wrong, he was right, and what he did was what I needed at time. I thanked him for it later.

That does not mean I go to him for every decision I need to make. I do not necessarily feel that is wrong. Many times obtaining advise from a spiritually discerning third-party concerning a major decision is wise. This person can be a pastor, teacher or other mature christian.

He knew you needed spiritual growth. Hey, at least...he did it in the privacy of his own office. :thumb

Also, sometimes we just need someone (face to face) to "bounce ideas off of." Their is absolutely no problem with that. We are human, after all. :smile