• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

In Jesus Calling: Jesus Contradicts Himself

RSS Robot

• Members

I often hear/read of preachers complaining that men are not engaged in church and they typically say women are much more engaged and that's why some churches are basically, or outright, run by women.

However, if the women are so engaged with the preaching and teaching, as so many claim, shouldn't they be much more grounded in the Word and less apt to be caught up in unbiblical things?

The popularity of "Jesus Calling" comes from women flocking to this; and not just women from watered down churches either, but women from the more sound churches as well.

It's no surprise women from watery churches might fall for this stuff, but what about those women who attend churches with biblically sound preaching; why are they falling for this stuff?

• Members

That has to be a big part of it. Which makes me wonder why so many pastors constantly praise these women while most often beating on the men.

Considering I've heard some women who attend good churches talking about watching Joel Osteen on TV...

• Members

This may be off the subject a little. I don't think Osteen should call himself a pastor, as he does not fit the criteria, but a motivational speaker. If I'm flipping through channels I will listen to him just for motivation but not for spiritual growth or learning.

• Members

Well, he's the pastor of a church so he's got that title. You are correct, motivational speaker is more of what he is. I watched part of a special of his, Night of Hope, or something like that, which he did in a stadium. I was surprised to find out his wife uses much more Scripture in her speaking than he does...I was also surprised to hear her speak as I didn't realize she did that.

The women I was speaking of above don't listen Osteen for motivation, they look to him as someone to teach them how to live as a Christian.

• Members

One has to be careful when listening to anyone preach, some more than others.

Every once in awhile if I'm flipping through channels and I catch a TV preacher speaking something worthwhile I'll listen and gain something from it but that doesn't mean I would listen to them regularly or join their church!

It was on a night I couldn't sleep that I turned the TV on and was flipping channels to tire myself when I came across that Osteen Night of Hope telecast. He told an inspirational story about his mother that was prOBably encouraging to many.

• Members

This is why we need not commentaries, devotionals and even some Pastors Preaching/Teachings.  They are laden with outright lies,opinions, assumptions and speculations. 

These corrupt, leaven and change the Words of God just like the serpent did in the garden by subtilty beguiled Eve and being deceived was in transgression 2Cor 11:3,1Tim 2:14.  These likewise through their subtility deceive many who read their devotionals, commentaries, Study Bibles, preachings and teachings.

• Members

I disagree on the statement that commentaries are not needed. True, some things written in commentaries are false doctrine. But equally true that there are nuggets of truth that can open the understanding to certain Scriptural truths.

When weeds begin to grow in a garden the farmer doesn't plow up the field and start over again. No, he watches the garden, and continues to take care of the good in the garden.

• Members

While I don't rely upon them and I check their words in light of Scripture, over the years I've found good from commentaries and devotionals.

There are some I wouldn't use, but there are also some worthwhile ones out there.

Archived