• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Psalms Set To Conservative Music?

Jordan Kurecki

• Members

Does anyone know of any of any psalms that have been set to good conservative music?

I'm really liking the idea of learning the psalms and meditating upon them with good music put to them.

So far I have been able to find one album that I enjoy:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/psalms-for-the-church-year/id383714472

• Members

I have heard of a Pastor in California that does this, I have two of his cassette tapes (shows how long ago this was)

but I cannot think of his name and I have the tapes at church.  If I can remember I will check it out at church tonight,.

• Members

The Scottish Metrical Psalter is the standard.  Isaac Watts is much better poetry.

Most of these are standard metres, so CM, SM & LM tunes can be used.

The cyber hymnal is a very useful source of hymns & tunes.   

A recent product is the Praise! hymnbook.  You will need to register £10 as it is a copyright publication, including music, biographical details for the authors & composers, etc. It is not KJV, as the intention of the publishers was to "rescue" the old & traditional hymns for people not familiar with the KJV language. 

Praise! includes the music for the hymns.  

• Members

But David Haas if I am not mistaken is not a KJV is the perfect preserved word of God.  He is a Bible corrector and why do we need to spend money on it when it supports people like that?

Did you notice the Eastern Orthodox type of cross centered by five smaller crosses this is Celtic mysticism symbol used by Pagan Druids.

Go ahead and get it if you want but I wouldn't recommend it.

• Members

But David Haas if I am not mistaken is not a KJV is the perfect preserved word of God.  He is a Bible corrector and why do we need to spend money on it when it supports people like that?

Did you notice the Eastern Orthodox type of cross centered by five smaller crosses this is Celtic mysticism symbol used by Pagan Druids.

Go ahead and get it if you want but I wouldn't recommend it.

Here's the way I look at it, Yes I know he is not KJV, But nothing said in the songs is unscriptural, the words are mainly paraphrases of the original psalms. It's no different than if someone wrote lyrics to a song that were inspired by a scripture verse or passage.

for example "As the deer" is written and inspired by Psalm 42, but since it doesn't quote Psalm 42 exactly are we to reject it?

I already bought it and it is an excellent piece of music.

I think your missing out on something great, I have listened to all the songs and they are fantastic. 

Here's the way I look at it, Yes I know he is not KJV, But nothing said in the songs is unscriptural, the words are mainly paraphrases of the original psalms. It's no different than if someone wrote lyrics to a song that were inspired by a scripture verse or passage.

for example "As the deer" is written and inspired by Psalm 42, but since it doesn't quote Psalm 42 exactly are we to reject it?

I think your missing out on something great, I have listened to all the songs and they are fantastic. 

God speaks to us through music too. If the words and music glorify God and don't glorify the writer or composer then, I have little prOBlem with them. If it makes you want to juke-jive-jerk or otherwise twist and shout I question the intent.

• Members

it is not about missing out it is about supporting those who oppose the pure word of God.  That is why they use a paraphrase in all songs to change the word of God and make it say what they want.

Now put the pure KJV Psalms to music by someone a KJV believer then I may just buy it.  But I am not missing out on anything because I have the pure words of God in my hand.

• Members

it is not about missing out it is about supporting those who oppose the pure word of God.  That is why they use a paraphrase in all songs to change the word of God and make it say what they want.

Now put the pure KJV Psalms to music by someone a KJV believer then I may just buy it.  But I am not missing out on anything because I have the pure words of God in my hand.

Do you pay money at restaurants to support the wages of lost people living in sin? 

The man put together a wonderful piece of music that brings honor and glory to God, I am KJO, not all people are out to deliberately change the word of God, and just because someone has not yet been guided to the truth of KJO does not mean God cannot use them to produce something great. 

Truthfully I think you're being overly critical. 

a lot of our Hymns were not written by IFB, let alone KJO, but I bet you still sing many of them....

• Members

Do you pay money at restaurants to support the wages of lost people living in sin? 

The man put together a wonderful piece of music that brings honor and glory to God, I am KJO, not all people are out to deliberately change the word of God, and just because someone has not yet been guided to the truth of KJO does not mean God cannot use them to produce something great. 

Truthfully I think you're being overly critical. 

a lot of our Hymns were not written by IFB, let alone KJO, but I bet you still sing many of them....

We can't afford to eat out.  so no I don't pay money at restaurants.

Who was the first person to change the word of God?  the Serpent  and God used him to allow his first couple to fall into sin.  So God can use the devils children too.

Actually you are over critical of the opposite view.

Yeah and a lot of those hymns are not worth the false doctrines they teach.

• Members

I've mentioned this before on here somewhere, so I won't go through the whole story again...but there's a lady (now deceased) who said that she discovered the music of the Bible has been there all along...in the various accent marks of the Hebrew letters.

I said it before, and I'll say it again...I'm not saying that I believe this. I guess it could be possible, but with anything like this...it's questionable. She put much of the Old Testament (including the Psalms) to this "music of the Bible", and a lot of it is really nice. This is the link to their Youtube channel if you want to peruse it. I think the featured video explains the story of how she "discovered" the music.

http://www.youtube.com/user/teamim

• Members

I've mentioned this before on here somewhere, so I won't go through the whole story again...but there's a lady (now deceased) who said that she discovered the music of the Bible has been there all along...in the various accent marks of the Hebrew letters.

I said it before, and I'll say it again...I'm not saying that I believe this. I guess it could be possible, but with anything like this...it's questionable. She put much of the Old Testament (including the Psalms) to this "music of the Bible", and a lot of it is really nice. This is the link to their Youtube channel if you want to peruse it. I think the featured video explains the story of how she "discovered" the music.

http://www.youtube.com/user/teamim

I suppose the melody line is okay for some but it just does not go well to my western trained ear . . . . or the other one either.  I would like to hear the Psalms set to some melody lines my ears are use to.

I would take a stab at it myself but they would all end up sounding like folk songs and that just wouldn't cut it either.  I do not like what the CCM crowd has done to them, that's for sure.

Their are some beautiful classical themes  and variations of such which might work.  The Psalms are beautiful poetry and they need beautiful music.

Archived