• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Irony

DaveW

• Members

Irony - something that some here simply do not understand.

"A friend of mine told me that I do not understand irony, which was ironic because we were standing in a bus stop at the time."

• Moderators

Well I doubt very seriously that God was being Ironic or using Irony in any way when he used the word "perfect" in Psalm 138.

Um... what? What does that have to do with anything?

• Members

Um... what? What does that have to do with anything?

DaveW Quoted: . .  something that some here simply do not understand.

I think Dave's statement was meant for someone to read between the lines.

He has the word "in" where it could be understood "at" to drive home his point that Complete is the same as Perfect.

He could here make that point, misusing the word "Irony" because he said in the post on Speaking in tongues he gave up.  So it is not Ironic he started a new tread to make his accusation that some here simply do not understand what Irony is.  This too is a false accusation and seems to be pointed at me. for I know what Irony is, and in Psalm 138 perfect was not an Irony for complete.

In some Christian circles this would be called being subtle as a serpent but not gentle as a dove.

• Members

He has the word "in" where it could be understood "at" to drive home his point that Complete is the same as Perfect.

He could here make that point, misusing the word "Irony" because he said in the post on Speaking in tongues he gave up.  So it is not Ironic he started a new tread to make his accusation that some here simply do not understand what Irony is.  This too is a false accusation and seems to be pointed at me. for I know what Irony is, and in Psalm 138 perfect was not an Irony for complete.

In some Christian circles this would be called being subtle as a serpent but not gentle as a dove.

AV...DaveW didn't come up with that "irony" joke. He didn't replace one word with another.  He repeated an already-known joke about irony...that's it. The joke is to show that some people don't understand irony...read the joke again.

• Members

AV...DaveW didn't come up with that "irony" joke. He didn't replace one word with another.  He repeated an already-known joke about irony...that's it. The joke is to show that some people don't understand irony...read the joke again.

sound like you and he don't know what Irony really means then, or you don't ride the bus much.

• Members

sound like you and he don't know what Irony really means then, or you don't ride the bus much.

Hey...I was just trying to play peace-maker. I don't know if you're being a smart-alack, just joking, or just being rude with that statement.

If you'll read the joke, you'll realize it doesn't make sense to attribute "irony" to what is said in the joke. That's the point of the joke.

Kind of like if I said, "I'm bicuspid; I speak two languages." Speaking two languages has nothing to do with being bicuspid.

• Members

He could here make that point, misusing the word "Irony" because he said in the post on Speaking in tongues he gave up. So it is not Ironic he started a new tread to make his accusation that some here simply do not understand what Irony is. This too is a false accusation and seems to be pointed at me. for I know what Irony is, and in Psalm 138 perfect was not an Irony for complete.

What is ironic, is seeing AVBB misquote the AV.

Mat 10:16
16 Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves:be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.

He could here make that point, misusing the word "Irony" because he said in the post on Speaking in tongues he gave up. So it is not Ironic he started a new tread to make his accusation that some here simply do not understand what Irony is. This too is a false accusation and seems to be pointed at me. for I know what Irony is, and in Psalm 138 perfect was not an Irony for complete.

What is ironic, is seeing AVBB misquote the AV.

• Members

Hey...I was just trying to play peace-maker. I don't know if you're being a smart-alack, just joking, or just being rude with that statement.

If you'll read the joke, you'll realize it doesn't make sense to attribute "irony" to what is said in the joke. That's the point of the joke.

Kind of like if I said, "I'm bicuspid; I speak two languages." Speaking two languages has nothing to do with being bicuspid.

I myself am amphibious...I can use my right hand or my left.

Archived