• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

How Many Rivers?

How Many Rivers  

3 members have voted

1. 1. How many rivers flowed out of Eden?

• One
    • Two
    • Three
    • Four
    • Eden? Where is that?

• Members

I see one voter said one river.

Interesting.  But, is it the right answer?  Maybe not.

Genesis 2:10 And a river went out of Eden to water the garden; and from thence it was parted, and became into four heads.

Yes, the text says a river went out of Eden.  But what was the purpose of the river going out?

To water the garden.

But wait!  Wasn't the garden INSIDE Eden?

Genesis 2:8 And the LORD God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed.

Yes, the garden in Eden.  Now, look at vers 10 again

Genesis 2:10 And a river went out of Eden to water the garden; and from thence it was parted, and became into four heads.

From thence?  Where is thence referring to? 

Outside of Eden? or from the point the river flowed to; i.e., the garden?

I believe it separated into the four heads; Pison, Gihon, Hiddekel & Euphrates at the garden.

• Members

I see one voter said one river.

Interesting.  But, is it the right answer?  Maybe not.

Yes, the text says a river went out of Eden.  But what was the purpose of the river going out?

To water the garden.

But wait!  Wasn't the garden INSIDE Eden?

Genesis 2:8 And the LORD God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed.

Yes, the garden in Eden.  Now, look at vers 10 again

From thence?  Where is thence referring to? 

Outside of Eden? or from the point the river flowed to; i.e., the garden?

I believe it separated into the four heads; Pison, Gihon, Hiddekel & Euphrates at the garden.

Some believe that Eden was a Name that God called the Earth.  And that is why it can go out of Eden and water the garden.  Garden of Eden still does not indicate the name of the Garden is Eden.  But Ezk 28 makes it sound like the name was Eden or at least Lucifer was in Eden the garden of God.

In Asia they have Eden Cheese. 

• Members

"flowing out of the earth" like a spring of water coming "out of the earth".

Scientists have recently discovered massive amounts of water deep in the earth ("fountains of the deep").

Remember, there was no rain at that time, so the rain/snow falling on mountains then melting and running down

into streams and rivers system was not in existence.

• Members

The more I've thought on this, my view is...

The river originated in Eden; it flowed through Eden and also watered the garden (the river's purpose) which was located in Eden. Somewhere past the garden (from thence), it separated into 4 heads. Whether those 4 heads were still within Eden, I haven't come to a conclusion though.

Not saying I'm right... :icon_confused:

• Members

Some believe that Eden was a Name that God called the Earth.  And that is why it can go out of Eden and water the garden.  Garden of Eden still does not indicate the name of the Garden is Eden.  But Ezk 28 makes it sound like the name was Eden or at least Lucifer was in Eden the garden of God.

In Asia they have Eden Cheese. 

Many think the garden WAS Eden...I used to think that as a child. I personally believe that Eden was an area on Earth. To call the garden "the garden of Eden" is fine...that's what the Bible calls it...

Genesis 2:15
And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it.

Genesis 3:23-24
  23   Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken.
  24   So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.

Ezekiel 36:35
And they shall say, This land that was desolate is become like the garden of Eden; and the waste and desolate and ruined cities are become fenced, and are inhabited.

Joel 2:3
A fire devoureth before them; and behind them a flame burneth: the land is as the garden of Eden before them, and behind them a desolate wilderness; yea, and nothing shall escape them.

"flowing out of the earth" like a spring of water coming "out of the earth".

Scientists have recently discovered massive amounts of water deep in the earth ("fountains of the deep").

Remember, there was no rain at that time, so the rain/snow falling on mountains then melting and running down

into streams and rivers system was not in existence.

Interesting. That's true; there was no hydrologic cycle as we know it today. However, there definitely was a river system...we know of this one that parted into 4 others. Where that water flowed to remains a mystery, but the water that fed "the river" had to have come from the ground, and perhaps either returned to the aquifer or flowed into the sea. So there was a river system of some sort. 

• Members

Ezekiel 28 tells us of Lucifer, "thou wast in Eden".  So we know that Eden was a place that one could inhabit at some time or another.

Genesis 3 tells us that God drove Adam and Eve out of Eden.  Again, this indicates that they were in Eden, or they could not have been driven out of Eden.  This also confirms to me that Eden could not have been the Earth.  Adam and Eve were not taken off the Earth to live on another planet and bear sons and daughters.  They remained on Earth.  So Eden could not have been Earth as a whole, but rather, a geographical location on Earth.

• Members

I agree.

For some reason, there are some Christians today who buy into these "ancient astronaut" theories and try to tie these into Scripture.

There are so many theories, but when one compares Scripture with Scripture, the truth is there and that truth stands in stark contrast to these wild theories of our origins coming from aliens, God travelling around in a UFO, God creating a primordial soup and then leaving and letting that soup simmer until evolution took over, etc.

• Members

It's pretty easy to figure out the area where Eden was... duh.

BTW, I firmly believe that the "motherload" of oil lays yet undiscovered beneath Babylon (aka: Iraq).

Now, India and China (and other countries) are desperately searching the world for crude oil,

and when it "gushes forth" from Babylon, the entire world will be provided with very very cheap petroleum.

You heard it here first folks.

Rev 17:5 Mystery Babylon the Great, the Mother of Harlots and Abominations of the Earth

• Members

I believe that there was not rain until after he made man and placed him in the or shortly after Adam transgressed.  Because of what it says that there was no rain for there was no man to till the earth.

Gen 2:5 And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the LORD God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground.

Cain was a tiller of the ground and so was Adam for God told him out of the sweat of thy brow will he eat bread.

Gen 3:18 Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;
 19 In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread
, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return

But many believe that the first rains never came until after the flood. 

Archived