• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Obey Husband Or Go To Church?

• Members

She should OBey God and go to church.

Acts 5:29 Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to OBey God rather than men. 

Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching. 

• Members

a womans husband is lost, he commands her not to go to church.

Should she OBey her husband, or OBey the command to not forsake the assembly?

Which one? and why?

First of all this is known as Sophist Reasoning.  we are not to participate in the practices of the world.

Second the scriptures tell the wife to submit

Eph 5:22 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.
 Col 3:18 ¶ Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord

At the same time it is said, "as it is fit in the Lord" submitting to a husband and his command is unfit in the Lord. If she follows the husband over God's command not to foresake the assembling it is not fit in the Lord.  If she follows the Bible then it is fit in the Lord

Whose command trumps Husband or God's?

Heb 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some [is]; but exhorting [one another]: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

She is to go to assemble with other believers and more so as the day of Christ return approaches, and that command over rides the Husbands to stay home Acts 5:29 Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to OBey God rather than men.

If you are playing the devil advocate here I will say no more on this subject.

• Members

I would have to know the husband's reason for telling his wife not to go to Church.

Is the Church she is wanting to attend teaching false doctrine? Is it worldly?   Is there another reason the husband has that is a valid reason? 

If the answer to these questions is "yes", then the woman should OBey her husband and not go.

• Members

I would have to know the husband's reason for telling his wife not to go to Church.

Is the Church she is wanting to attend teaching false doctrine? Is it worldly?   Is there another reason the husband has that is a valid reason? 

If the answer to these questions is "yes", then the woman should OBey her husband and not go.

The questions states he is unsaved so how would he know the difference between false doctrine or worldliness? 

Now if he needed her to stay because he was bed ridden and no one would be there to take care of him she would do well to consider his plea not to go to church.

• Members

It really does depend on the details of the situation.
We ought to OBey God rather than man, this is certain.
But then we have: 1Pe 3:1 Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any OBey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives;

By being in subjection to her husband he may be won.

Personally I thing it needs to be considered in this light - if there is the chance to win him, then OBedience to him becomes prime - BUT the wife needs to visibly live for the Lord in every way she can whilst being OBedient.

But I also think some situations demand OBeying the Lord in church attendance - it depends on the attitude of the man.
But in either case the wife needs to submit in every way she can, and maintain a Godly testimony.

• Members

Just because a man is unsaved does not necessarily mean he is not aware of the things of God.

My oldest brother died a drunkard. Yet, because he was raised in Church the first thirteen years of his life, he was very much aware of Scripture. Funny thing, when he was drunk out of his gourd, he could preach many a preacher to shame because of his knowledge of Scripture.

• Members

It really does depend on the details of the situation.
We ought to OBey God rather than man, this is certain.
But then we have: 1Pe 3:1 Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any OBey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives;

By being in subjection to her husband he may be won.

Personally I thing it needs to be considered in this light - if there is the chance to win him, then OBedience to him becomes prime - BUT the wife needs to visibly live for the Lord in every way she can whilst being OBedient.

But I also think some situations demand OBeying the Lord in church attendance - it depends on the attitude of the man.
But in either case the wife needs to submit in every way she can, and maintain a Godly testimony.

Fully agreed

• Members

SFIC, the devil and his demons can quote scripture also. Was he saved if he died a drunkard?

that's my point, Miss Daisy. He was as lost as the day was long, as the old saying goes.

He loved the booze and the bottle rather than the Lord. Whom he yield his members as servants to OBey, that was his master.

Knowing Scripture means nothing to a drunkard. One who is in Christ will not die a drunkard.

Archived