Online Baptist Community
  • Newest Sermon Entry

• By 1Timothy115 in Devotionals
      Psalms 119:1-8                                         Sep. 5 - Oct. 2, 2019
      1 ALEPH. Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the LORD.
      2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
      3 They also do no iniquity: they walk in his ways.
      4 Thou hast commanded us to keep thy precepts diligently.
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      6 Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments.
      7 I will praise thee with uprightness of heart, when I shall have learned thy righteous judgments.
      8 I will keep thy statutes: O forsake me not utterly.
      The following verse stood out to me...
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      At first glance it seemed to me this person’s soul is poured out with intense desire to have God’s direction in keeping His Word.
      I made a small wood fire in our backyard for my granddaughter, Julia, since she would be staying overnight with us. My wife and Julia stayed outside at the fire for about half an hour. Then, I found myself alone to watch the fire die out on a particularly lovely evening. So I took my verse from above and began to repeat it for memorization. As I repeated the verse, I tried to contemplate the words and apply them to what I was seeing around me. 
      The moon and stars were out now peering through the scattered clouds above.
      [Genesis 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. Genesis 1:17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth, Genesis 1:18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.]
      Thought 1         
      The moon has stayed his course since the day God created him, also the stars, obeying the statutes directed by God from the first day they were created. Can you imagine God’s direction to the Moon and stars, “moon you will have a path through the sky above the earth, stars you will occupy the firmament above the moon and be clearly visible in the cloudless night sky.”
      Then, the trees, grass, even the air we breathe obey the statues God gave them from the beginning. None of these creations have souls, none have hearts, none have intelligence, but they all observe God’s statutes, His instructions for their limited time on earth.
      Thought 2
      What if we were like the moon, stars, trees, grass, or the other creations which have no soul? We would be directed to keep God’s statutes without choosing to keep them. This is not the image of God, there would be no dominion over other creatures, or over the earth. We would not be capable of experiencing the joy and peace of learning the love of God
      Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
      Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
      Thought 3 (October 2, 2019)
      Is the psalmist pleading God to force God’s statutes to become the man’s ways? No, he is speaking of his own failure in keeping God’s statutes and his desire to keep them, very much like Paul in Romans 7:14-25.
      God doesn’t work through force to turn men from their ways that they would desire His statutes or desire God Himself. Men must reject (repent) put aside his own ways and voluntarily seek God and His statutes.

Obey Husband Or Go To Church?

Rate this topic

• Independent Fundamental Baptist

She should OBey God and go to church.

Acts 5:29 Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to OBey God rather than men. 

Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching. 

a womans husband is lost, he commands her not to go to church.

Should she OBey her husband, or OBey the command to not forsake the assembly?

Which one? and why?

First of all this is known as Sophist Reasoning.  we are not to participate in the practices of the world.

Second the scriptures tell the wife to submit

Eph 5:22 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.
 Col 3:18 ¶ Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord

At the same time it is said, "as it is fit in the Lord" submitting to a husband and his command is unfit in the Lord. If she follows the husband over God's command not to foresake the assembling it is not fit in the Lord.  If she follows the Bible then it is fit in the Lord

Whose command trumps Husband or God's?

Heb 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some [is]; but exhorting [one another]: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

She is to go to assemble with other believers and more so as the day of Christ return approaches, and that command over rides the Husbands to stay home Acts 5:29 Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to OBey God rather than men.

If you are playing the devil advocate here I will say no more on this subject.

Edited by AVBibleBeliever

• Members

I would have to know the husband's reason for telling his wife not to go to Church.

Is the Church she is wanting to attend teaching false doctrine? Is it worldly?   Is there another reason the husband has that is a valid reason? 

If the answer to these questions is "yes", then the woman should OBey her husband and not go.

I would have to know the husband's reason for telling his wife not to go to Church.

Is the Church she is wanting to attend teaching false doctrine? Is it worldly?   Is there another reason the husband has that is a valid reason? 

If the answer to these questions is "yes", then the woman should OBey her husband and not go.

The questions states he is unsaved so how would he know the difference between false doctrine or worldliness? 

Now if he needed her to stay because he was bed ridden and no one would be there to take care of him she would do well to consider his plea not to go to church.

It really does depend on the details of the situation.
We ought to OBey God rather than man, this is certain.
But then we have: 1Pe 3:1 Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any OBey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives;

By being in subjection to her husband he may be won.

Personally I thing it needs to be considered in this light - if there is the chance to win him, then OBedience to him becomes prime - BUT the wife needs to visibly live for the Lord in every way she can whilst being OBedient.

But I also think some situations demand OBeying the Lord in church attendance - it depends on the attitude of the man.
But in either case the wife needs to submit in every way she can, and maintain a Godly testimony.

• Members

Just because a man is unsaved does not necessarily mean he is not aware of the things of God.

My oldest brother died a drunkard. Yet, because he was raised in Church the first thirteen years of his life, he was very much aware of Scripture. Funny thing, when he was drunk out of his gourd, he could preach many a preacher to shame because of his knowledge of Scripture.

It really does depend on the details of the situation.
We ought to OBey God rather than man, this is certain.
But then we have: 1Pe 3:1 Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any OBey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives;

By being in subjection to her husband he may be won.

Personally I thing it needs to be considered in this light - if there is the chance to win him, then OBedience to him becomes prime - BUT the wife needs to visibly live for the Lord in every way she can whilst being OBedient.

But I also think some situations demand OBeying the Lord in church attendance - it depends on the attitude of the man.
But in either case the wife needs to submit in every way she can, and maintain a Godly testimony.

Fully agreed

• Members

SFIC, the devil and his demons can quote scripture also. Was he saved if he died a drunkard?

that's my point, Miss Daisy. He was as lost as the day was long, as the old saying goes.

He loved the booze and the bottle rather than the Lord. Whom he yield his members as servants to OBey, that was his master.

Knowing Scripture means nothing to a drunkard. One who is in Christ will not die a drunkard. Edited by Standing Firm In Christ

Scripture says liars, not those living a lie. I've yet to meet a Christian who doesn't lie, whether on purpose or by accident. The tongue is a most difficult thing to tame.

• Members

Revelation 21:8 (KJV) 8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

The Greek word pseudes is translated Liars. It means, lying, deceitful, false.

Lying indicates conuing in a lie. Deceitful and false self-explanatory.

Clearly liars is speaking of those living a lie, unwilling to repent.

Edited by Standing Firm In Christ