Online Baptist Community
  • Newest Sermon Entry

• By 1Timothy115 in Devotionals
      Psalms 119:1-8                                         Sep. 5 - Oct. 2, 2019
      1 ALEPH. Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the LORD.
      2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
      3 They also do no iniquity: they walk in his ways.
      4 Thou hast commanded us to keep thy precepts diligently.
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      6 Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments.
      7 I will praise thee with uprightness of heart, when I shall have learned thy righteous judgments.
      8 I will keep thy statutes: O forsake me not utterly.
      The following verse stood out to me...
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      At first glance it seemed to me this person’s soul is poured out with intense desire to have God’s direction in keeping His Word.
      I made a small wood fire in our backyard for my granddaughter, Julia, since she would be staying overnight with us. My wife and Julia stayed outside at the fire for about half an hour. Then, I found myself alone to watch the fire die out on a particularly lovely evening. So I took my verse from above and began to repeat it for memorization. As I repeated the verse, I tried to contemplate the words and apply them to what I was seeing around me. 
      The moon and stars were out now peering through the scattered clouds above.
      [Genesis 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. Genesis 1:17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth, Genesis 1:18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.]
      Thought 1         
      The moon has stayed his course since the day God created him, also the stars, obeying the statutes directed by God from the first day they were created. Can you imagine God’s direction to the Moon and stars, “moon you will have a path through the sky above the earth, stars you will occupy the firmament above the moon and be clearly visible in the cloudless night sky.”
      Then, the trees, grass, even the air we breathe obey the statues God gave them from the beginning. None of these creations have souls, none have hearts, none have intelligence, but they all observe God’s statutes, His instructions for their limited time on earth.
      Thought 2
      What if we were like the moon, stars, trees, grass, or the other creations which have no soul? We would be directed to keep God’s statutes without choosing to keep them. This is not the image of God, there would be no dominion over other creatures, or over the earth. We would not be capable of experiencing the joy and peace of learning the love of God
      Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
      Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
      Thought 3 (October 2, 2019)
      Is the psalmist pleading God to force God’s statutes to become the man’s ways? No, he is speaking of his own failure in keeping God’s statutes and his desire to keep them, very much like Paul in Romans 7:14-25.
      God doesn’t work through force to turn men from their ways that they would desire His statutes or desire God Himself. Men must reject (repent) put aside his own ways and voluntarily seek God and His statutes.

Speaking In Tongues

Rate this topic

GraceSaved

My sister goes to a charasmatic church.  She speaks in tongues (the spiritual language modern day tongues).  She has shown me every scripture that she's been taught, mostly the ones in Acts and 1 Corinthians.  I went through them with her and showed how it was unbiblical.  She now sees in scripture but is so conditioned to 20 years experience.  I can sympathize with her because I used to go to a charasmatic church but it started to make me question and feel uncomfortable.  When I studied and searched for the truth in scripture, I didn't care about my experience.  We are not to trust ourselves, our feelings or our experiences if it is against the Word.  Of course I've been praying for her and I still think she is saved and a Christian but just in error.  What else can I tell her?  Especially because she feels deceived and can't understand what she's been doing all these years.  Any advice or suggestions?  Thanks in advance.

• Members

Take her to 1 Corinthians 14.  show her that the Apostle Paul said it was forbidden for the woman to speak in tongues.

1 Corinthians 14:34-35 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under OBedience, as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

Context (the whole Chapter is dealing with tongues) shows that a woman speaking in tongues was forbidden.  This means each time she does, she is being rebellious to the above verses.  And thus, rebellious also to God.

Edited by Standing Firm In Christ

She understands how it was to be used in the church and and they don't use it in public anymore unless interpreted because it's controversial. Specifically she's dealing with how it's used in private prayer. Charasmatics teach that it is used for empowerment, edifying oneself and allowance for the Holy Spirit to intercede as we know not what to pray for.

• Independent Fundamental Baptist

One of my favourite passages.....
2Pe 1:19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:

the key here is "what is the Word more sure than?"
The previous verses talk about the transfiguration of Christ.
Peter says that the Word of God is more sure than his own experience of viewing the transfiguration of Christ.

Throw that at her.......

Dave W. I did. :-) That one sure blew my mind the first time I read it. I think I showed her every possible thing I could show her in scripture. The hard part is helping her get over the experience. For me, I just stopped believing once I sought after and learned the truth. She hasn't said it but I think she is struggling with thinking why God would allow her to be deceived. The only words of comfort I can offer is to be thankful that now she knows the truth. She just has to decide now what she will do with that truth.

Take her to 1 Corinthians 14.  show her that the Apostle Paul said it was forbidden for the woman to speak in tongues.

1 Corinthians 14:34-35 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under OBedience, as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

Context (the whole Chapter is dealing with tongues) shows that a woman speaking in tongues was forbidden.  This means each time she does, she is being rebellious to the above verses.  And thus, rebellious also to God.

How does the "And if they will learn any thing" relate to 'speaking in tongues'? Is speaking in tongues a learning subject and the husband must be capable of teaching his wife about it?

Why would Paul single out the women on this subject matter?

• Members

Her speaking out could be seen as a disruption in the service.  The key though, may be in the words "as also saith the Law".  The Law forbade the women to speak in tongutes or when tongues were given for some reason.

verse 40 may hold significance as well.  Let all things be done decently and in order.

"Jews seek a sign" - that's what Acts 2 was all about.

It was fulfilled by the "little flock" in Jerusalem under "the twelve" apostles.

The Body of Christ ("Church") didn't start until Paul was saved in Acts 9.

• Members

Wrong, beammeup.

The Body of Christ started much earlier than that.  Read Acts 2

Acts 2:47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

Even in Philippians 3, Paul said that before His conversion he persecuted the Church.  How could he have persecuted the Church if the Church did not exist until after Saul/Paul got saved?

Edited by Standing Firm In Christ

The "church of the firstborn" is the Jewish "Sect of the Nazarenes",  a strictly Jewish sect. 

Mosaic Law was still practiced by the Jewish believers in Acts.

Rejection of Steven's message = Steven stoned = Paul (apostle to Gentiles) saved.

Just because they use the Greek ekklesia does not mean the Body of Christ.

2 Tim 2:15 "rightly dividing"

The "middle wall of partition" between those saved under the Gospel of the (imminent) Kingdom

(ie: "grafted in" to Israel)

and those saved by the Gospel of Grace ("one new man") was accomplished in Acts 28:28 when

Paul is in prison (see Ephesians).

Edited by beameup

• Members

Ephesians 2:14-15 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us; Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;

Both are one in Christ.  The Gentiles were grafted into the vine.  No such thing as a Church of the Jews and Church of the Gentiles.  Christ has ONE BODY, not two.  The Church that existed before Acts 10 did not remain a separate Church from the Gentiles.... it was one universal Body.

Maybe if she heard the testimony of all of the people who have been possessed of devils, by opening up to "the spirit" to receive their gift of tounges, she would consider that the spirit behind these "miracles" is Satan.

Maybe if she heard the testimony of all of the people who have been possessed of devils, by opening up to "the spirit" to receive their gift of tounges, she would consider that the spirit behind these "miracles" is Satan.

You need to be very careful because Paul taught that the gift of tongues was from the Holy Ghost, and the qualifier is that if it was interpreted then we know it was of God because it brought edification.

The unknown uninterpreted tongue known as an unknown tongue could be of the Holy Ghost too because it was for the one who did it is being edified, but the body is not being edified.  Pauls teaching is about who is doing it where and how and its outcome.

Edited by AVBibleBeliever

So what about today's tongues that do have an interpretation?  I've seen that done in the charasmatic churches.  Everybody is praising or praying to God in tongues then there's this quiet lull as if everyone instinctively knows a message is about to come forth and one person speaks out in tongues while everyone listens and waits for interpretation...then someone interprets.  I was also in a service years ago where this happened where apparently the tongue spoken was in Greek and there was a Greek woman there who understood.  There was also an interpretation for everyone else to understand.  What is that about?