• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Speaking In Tongues

GraceSaved

• Administrators

http://www.wayoflife.org/index_files/tongues_were_a_sign.html

http://www.wayoflife.org/index_files/tongue_speaking.html

GS, here are a couple of links that might help a bit. I don't know, you may already have covered some of this with her.

One thing that many who are in the charismatic scene don't understand is that often the "tongues" are simply noises that are hypnotically induced (years ago [and it could still be so], people were instructed to just sit and stare into space while muttering "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus" over and over and over again, until the person speaks in tongues. That is self-hypnosis). 

As was mentioned already, tongues is simply another word for languages.  Paul spoke a number of languages, and that is what he meant when he said he spoke tongues more than you all (see, he even spoke Southern  :nuts: ).

I think in the case of your sister, she will simply need time.  Time studying scripture, time discussing and praying with you, etc.  The Holy Spirit will work in her and she will soon be able to leave the desire for experience behind (soon being relative as to each individual person).  Once one "experiences" that, it is hard to leave it behind.  But it has been and can be done.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Both are possible definitions for the Bible uses the word "perfect" in both these ways - whether you like it or not.

Both Possible is like saying prOBably. 

Why do have such a hard time with it.  I even showed you why the KJV translators didn't translate it complete as some of the New translations do, and that God wanted it to say perfect and not complete because David would not be completed until Christ return to set up the kingdom.

If you want to play the double meaning game.  The word Perfect here would actually be closer to the word "fulfill" than it is complete.  But God didn't want that one either because not all of David's enemies have been dealt with so fulfill would not be right either.  the last enemy being death, is not fully defeated until Rev 20 where is says death and hell will be cast into the lake of fire.

So in short, it could not be compete or fulfill because all concerning David is not completed and fulfilled yet.  Hence the use of perfect in Ps 138 is perfect without the meaning of complete and fulfill though it is possible but not prOBable.

• Members

Had enough of several thread here where people apparently are deliberately misunderstanding what is plain.

There are a number of people here who have no right teaching on a Baptist board, who OBviously have seriously unbiblical and non - Baptist teaching who presume to do so.

There are people who often, if not constantly, post untrue information, and who deliberately misrepresent what other members say.
There are some here who apparently want to defend these too.......

You say whatever you want - I give up.

• Members

This is a discussion forum, not a teaching academy, not a church.

If one person (for instance) wants to declare that Christians are commanded to tithe and another proclaims otherwise, then there is something to discuss. We are all free to participate, or not, free to read the postings, or not.

If this were a church or school then we might expect otherwise, but not in a discussion forum.

How many times have myself and others started threads in which we most all are in agreement with and that's as far as the thread goes. Nothing to discuss.

Pastor Markle posts some excellent material. Very much worth reading and meditating upon. Yet since there is agreement these great posts receive few comments because there is little to discuss.

On the other hand, let someone post saying Christian women who have their hair above shoulder length are not abiding in Scripture in that regard and there will be pages of postings because there will be a variety of opposing views.

• Members

The perfect was the Word of God, the scriptures.  When the apostles passed away, the scriptures were completed and tongues ceased.  It was not until sometime later that some, the Montanists, claimed to speak in tongues and prophecy.  They also had other false teachings, one was that marriage is wrong as it consists of the same act as adultery.  They also were the first to introduce the idea that there were two types of sin, venial and mortal, and other errors later adopted by the Church of Rome.

Charismatic 'tongues' are not biblical tongues but are gibberish, also practiced by many pagan religions.

• Members

Everyone knows that a woman's hair is not to be longer than 8.3274 inches in length. 

Actually, I think it's not supposed to be shorter than 8.3274 inches in length. At least that's how "REAL" Baptists do the math!

Revelation 9:7-8
  7   And the shapes of the locusts were like unto horses prepared unto battle; and on their heads were as it were crowns like gold, and their faces were as the faces of men.
  8   And they had hair as the hair of women, and their teeth were as the teeth of lions.

What we learn from this is...

1. The Bible differentiates between men's hair and women's hair.
  2. These demonic locusts had faces "of men"...but...
  3. They had hair "of women".
  4. Therefore, men with women's hair are demonic.   :coffee2:

:scratchchin:

kimClement.jpg

:nuts:

• Members

Had enough of several thread here where people apparently are deliberately misunderstanding what is plain.

There are a number of people here who have no right teaching on a Baptist board, who OBviously have seriously unbiblical and non - Baptist teaching who presume to do so.

There are people who often, if not constantly, post untrue information, and who deliberately misrepresent what other members say.
There are some here who apparently want to defend these too.......

You say whatever you want - I give up.

good to see you have such a pure heart and focus on things that are lovely and honest,  And that you make such just accusations and that you always focus on good reports and all your words are virtuous . I am sure we all want to follow your example

Php 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
 9 Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.

• Members

I Cor. was written to: A. A New Testament Church, and therefore relevant. B. A group of Apostles, and we should ignore it. ? Pick a winner.

I invite you to search this site for miracles, wonders, signs, etc and I have explained thoroughly what I mean.

The point is this, as the Gospel spread so did the Spirit's regeneration. At the time of the Writings, the gifts like healing, prophesying, tongues, etc were relevant and of God but referred to as childish as the Spirit spread with the Gospel the months and years following Pentecost.

Noone living has witnessed any Scriptural gifts or signs or miracles apart from the greatest miracle and gift of God which is the regeneration of the Holy Spirit.

This tongues nonsense if mainly propagated by silly women laden with sins and emotional men IMO. Folks read emotional accounts or witness emotional outbursts and buy into this nonsense as signs from God or miracles, it is all rubbish.

Archived