• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Speaking In Tongues

GraceSaved

• Members

You need to be very careful because Paul taught that the gift of tongues was from the Holy Ghost, and the qualifier is that if it was interpreted then we know it was of God because it brought edification.

The unknown uninterpreted tongue known as an unknown tongue could be of the Holy Ghost too because it was for the one who did it is being edified, but the body is not being edified. Pauls teaching is about who is doing it where and how and its outcome.

1Co 14:10
10 There are, it may be, so many kinds of voices in the world, and none of them is without signification.

This verse tells you that every single tongue, that Paul mentioned, was a kmown language of the Earth.

I have dealt with Charismatics who became possessed by "speaking in tongues".

You wanna warn someone to be careful? Warn them to believe the scripture, and speak in words easy to be understood.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

that last one may not have been from the Lord.

I was witnessing to a lady on a short term mission trip to a So East Asian country. Our translator started to translate what shared and she stopped him and said (which had to be translated for me) that she understood me and heard me speak in her native tongue of which I was not trained in or spoke. but as far as I know our whole team who was present heard me speak in English.

I heard of a young Jewish lady getting saved because one person spoke in a High Forum of French and another lady interpreted and supposedly neither of them knew this type of French, the young Jewish lady was trained in that language and was wondering why the other had interpreted it. She verified that it was the correct translation and was told neither one of them learned or spoke French at all.

I don't know of anyone who speaks in an unknown tongue in their private time with God where Paul says, they speak unto God. Of course I don't go around listing or spying on someone who is in their private time with God to see if they are speaking in tongues or not.

Tongues is a sign to unbelievers.

You weren't speaking in a tongue unknown to you.

The unbeliever heard in their native tongue.

This has nothing to do with the hyper-emotional babbling, exclusionary litmus of the Devil-worshippers of the Azusa St. Churches.

• Members

1Co 14:10
10 There are, it may be, so many kinds of voices in the world, and none of them is without signification.

This verse tells you that every single tongue, that Paul mentioned, was a kmown language of the Earth.

I have dealt with Charismatics who became possessed by "speaking in tongues".

You wanna warn someone to be careful? Warn them to believe the scripture, and speak in words easy to be understood.

My warning was to those who would attribute a gift that is said to be of the Holy Ghost to Satan (just like the Pharisees did Christ).  Nowhere in the NT are we told that tongues is of Satan.  I am not promoting anyone doing it in any unbiblical way as many assemblies do, but at the same time we need to also follow the word of God which says, in 1Cor 14:30 . . . . forbid not to speak with tongues.

• Members

Tongues is a sign to unbelievers.

You weren't speaking in a tongue unknown to you.

The unbeliever heard in their native tongue.

This has nothing to do with the hyper-emotional babbling, exclusionary litmus of the Devil-worshippers of the Azusa St. Churches.

I fully agree.

• Members

1Co 13:8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

Tongues have ceased.

This doesn't say that the gift has ceased, it says languages of the Earth will cease.

Now, can you name a dead language?

Do we have, in writing, every prophecy delivered by angels to men?

Didn't the library at Alexandria burn? All of that knowledge is gone.

This isn't a hard passage to understand.

• Members

This doesn't say that the gift has ceased, it says languages of the Earth will cease.

Now, can you name a dead language?

Do we have, in writing, every prophecy delivered by angels to men?

Didn't the library at Alexandria burn? All of that knowledge is gone.

This isn't a hard passage to understand.

Latin is dead language,  Koine Greek is a dead language. Sonoma Indian tribal language is dead as are many tribal languages around the world.

When I say dead I mean there is no one that knows how to speak or write it correctly. 

• Members

Tongues are long gone friends, along with all signs, wonders and miracles. We have no need for the childish when the Spirit has renewed and lives in us.

I feel for you my friend I have had miracles happen just this week so how could you so adamantly say miracles are long gone.  Our pastor Prophesied today when he spoke of the soon return of Christ and spoke forth the word of God at the assembly of the Saints.

I shared a story of a lady who heard me speak in her language when I spoke English.  That is about as close to the Acts 2 tongues as you can get.  Acts 2:5 ¶ And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.
 6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language. 
One heard in his own language and the other heard their own language
 7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?
 8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

I would say that they have not ceased.  And what it says will cease is clear, 1Cor 13:9, 10 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.  But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away. That which is in part is said to be Knowledge and Prophesy for they are connected to being done away by the term "in part" so that which is in part will be done away with when the perfect is come and the perfect has not come yet.

• Members

1 Corinthians 13
 8  Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. note

9  For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.

10  But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away. note

11  When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. note note

12  For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

This whole passage is talking about knowledge and understanding.

That which is perfect is in that context - perfect knowledge and understanding.
The Word of God is perfect. Perfect and complete knowledge, which to the saved man gives understanding.

The Word of God is complete - there is no more prophecy to add, there is no further spiritual knowledge that we need, there is no further need of tongues.

All we need is God's Word.

Context folks is knowledge and understanding.

• Members

Dave,

As I stated in the previous post, that which is done away is that which is in part.  what we Know/Knowledge in part and Prophecy in part are the words of God as well. 

So "when that which is perfect is come", the perfect could not be the God's Word because it would do away with parts of God's Word that we know in part and prophecy in part.

And though we may believe and think that God's word is perfect the AV Bible does not state that, if I am not mistaken.

• Members

I always thought that the "when that which is perfect is come" was when we see God face to face. It says "that" and not "he" so I may be mistaken.

I have searched the scriptures and it never says, " that God's word is perfect".  that is an eye opener for all of us.  It is true, it is pure, it is light but the Bible never says it is perfect.

But God is said to be perfect.  So I would prOBable agree with you that is is when we see God and all is fulfilled.  for Christ did say that not one jot or title would be pass way until all of the word has been fulfilled.   Matt 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.  If I am not mistaken heaven and earth pass in Revelation 21

Archived