• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Let's Talk Chili

• Members

We (my wife and I) reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally like chili. We do not do hot spices, so our chili would be called sweet chili as opposed to hot 'n' spicy chili. It is soooooooooooo good over rice. :hungry:

A complete meal should also include conrbread and pumpkin muffins with chocolate chips baked in them. :clap:

• Members

We just buy Campbells because if we make a whole pot, only my husband and I would eat it, maybe our oldest son. It hurts my second son's belly (he is on Prevacid) and my third son cannot have anything tomato based b/c of his hives...and of course its too spicy for the baby. haha.

So if we crave chili, the Campbell's stuff isn't half bad!!!! I do love chili though, especially with some leftover mac n cheese thrown in!

• Members

Our chili is pretty normal...nothing fancy...but we like to "accessorize" with yummy additions like chips (Fritos are best) and shredded cheddar cheese. When it is served this way, we call our chili "haystacks." My husband always adds salsa to his. I like sour cream thrown in if we have any.

Here's our basic chili recipe:

3 lbs. ground beef/chuck, browned and drained, sauteed with one diced onion and 3 minced garlic cloves (or garlic powder)
salt and pepper
12 oz. tomato paste
12 oz. water
37 oz. chili beans (in mild sauce)
1 pkg. chili seasoning

I just mix each ingredient into the pot or Crock Pot in that order, and let it simmer for a couple of hours (or less, if I don't have the time), stirring occasionally.

Other fall favorites of mine are potato soup and cheesy chicken chowder. There's just something "comfy" about a nice, hot bowl of soup this time of year!

I have a recipe for chili that my mother-in-law gave me... and it's delicious! It's not too spicy or anything! I just made some last week. :cool

The special ingredient is the Del Monte Diced Tomatoes (zesty chili style)... everything else in it can be generic or whatever brand, but it HAS to have those tomatoes! hehe

• Administrators

Oh, yeah - the only thing my hubby likes about winter is chili!! :lol: When I make it, I put it in the crock pot (or, if we're going to be serving a lot of people, in my roaster) and cook it all day long. I use kidney beans and pinto beans. And I like to use Brooks chili beans, since it's already got some spices in the sauce. I also like to use those tomotoes, Kathi. They really add some zest. I add onions and hamburger, of course. Then just let it cook.

We add various stuff to the meal. Sometimes just crackers. Sometimes peanut butter on bread - it's really good combined! Always cheese and sour cream. Sometimes fritos. And sometimes cornbread. We have chili often in the winter, so we vary our sides.

We also love to make chili-mac of the leftoverse. Num. Can't wait til it gets a little cooler. We're already getting in the makings for it...

• Members

2.5lbs. of hamburger, browned with onions and fresh garlic (usually 2 large cloves)
1 pkg chili seasoning
parsley and oregano to taste (Sorry, I just sprinkle it in....I don't measure)
1 big can of tomato juice
2 cans of black beans, drained (my kids like these better than kidney beans, and so do I)

Mix together, simmer on stove for awhile until ready to eat. (or you could stick it in the crock-pot) We like to make peanut butter or grilled cheese on homemade bread to go with it. Yum!

• Members

I use a packet of Schwartz Chili Con Carne mix. I use Minced beef for myself with the hot chili mix and the mild for my wife who is a vegetarian so shet has a vegetable chili. I serve it with saffron rice or jacket potatoes.

http://www.schwartz.co.uk/productdetail.cfm?ID=5013 (recipe)