Online Baptist Community
  • Newest Sermon Entry

• By 1Timothy115 in Devotionals
      Psalms 119:1-8                                         Sep. 5 - Oct. 2, 2019
      1 ALEPH. Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the LORD.
      2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
      3 They also do no iniquity: they walk in his ways.
      4 Thou hast commanded us to keep thy precepts diligently.
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      6 Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments.
      7 I will praise thee with uprightness of heart, when I shall have learned thy righteous judgments.
      8 I will keep thy statutes: O forsake me not utterly.
      The following verse stood out to me...
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      At first glance it seemed to me this person’s soul is poured out with intense desire to have God’s direction in keeping His Word.
      I made a small wood fire in our backyard for my granddaughter, Julia, since she would be staying overnight with us. My wife and Julia stayed outside at the fire for about half an hour. Then, I found myself alone to watch the fire die out on a particularly lovely evening. So I took my verse from above and began to repeat it for memorization. As I repeated the verse, I tried to contemplate the words and apply them to what I was seeing around me. 
      The moon and stars were out now peering through the scattered clouds above.
      [Genesis 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. Genesis 1:17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth, Genesis 1:18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.]
      Thought 1         
      The moon has stayed his course since the day God created him, also the stars, obeying the statutes directed by God from the first day they were created. Can you imagine God’s direction to the Moon and stars, “moon you will have a path through the sky above the earth, stars you will occupy the firmament above the moon and be clearly visible in the cloudless night sky.”
      Then, the trees, grass, even the air we breathe obey the statues God gave them from the beginning. None of these creations have souls, none have hearts, none have intelligence, but they all observe God’s statutes, His instructions for their limited time on earth.
      Thought 2
      What if we were like the moon, stars, trees, grass, or the other creations which have no soul? We would be directed to keep God’s statutes without choosing to keep them. This is not the image of God, there would be no dominion over other creatures, or over the earth. We would not be capable of experiencing the joy and peace of learning the love of God
      Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
      Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
      Thought 3 (October 2, 2019)
      Is the psalmist pleading God to force God’s statutes to become the man’s ways? No, he is speaking of his own failure in keeping God’s statutes and his desire to keep them, very much like Paul in Romans 7:14-25.
      God doesn’t work through force to turn men from their ways that they would desire His statutes or desire God Himself. Men must reject (repent) put aside his own ways and voluntarily seek God and His statutes.

One God, Three Persons, Co-Equal

Rate this topic

Win, is this you rewording the question for Chief?

the verse John 1 32-33 above was a sign for a Jew named John the Baptist.  we know it is a sign because John says so.  the sign was the dove like decending but you will notice God says it is he that baptizeth with the Holy Ghost so from that we can see some types.

This is a wonderful type of what happens When a person gets saved by grace through faith.  The Holy Ghost comes upon them and remains in them.

It is also a type of empowerment for the work by the Holy Ghost after one believes.

Remember the only reason Christ was baptized was to identify himself with sinful men not to receive the Holy Ghost. No where does it say he was there to receive the Holy Ghost.

Now before you all go off and say it says nothing about identifying remember what John is performing is called the baptism of the remission of sins.  Christ was sinless so in getting baptized he is identifying himself with sinful man.

Yes, this was a sign for John the Baptist. Nevertheless, he was told that whom the Spirit descended "upon" and whom it rested "on" was the promised Christ. It does not say the Spirit "indwelled" Jesus or was "in" him.

Jhn 1:32 And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him.
33 And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost.

Does scripture say the Holy Spirit was "in" Jesus? NO, it repeatedly says the Spirit was "upon" him, or "on" him. That is significant don't you think? 

Now, I could be wrong, Jesus said the Father dwells "in" him (Jhn 14:10), so perhaps the Spirit dwelled in him as well, but the scriptures do not say that anywhere that I know of. I would prOBably assume that the Spirit dwelled in Jesus if not for Acts 2:33. 

• Independent Fundamental Baptist

Yes, this was a sign for John the Baptist. Nevertheless, he was told that whom the Spirit descended "upon" and whom it rested "on" was the promised Christ. It does not say the Spirit "indwelled" Jesus or was "in" him.

Jhn 1:32 And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him.
33 And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost.

Does scripture say the Holy Spirit was "in" Jesus? NO, it repeatedly says the Spirit was "upon" him, or "on" him. That is significant don't you think? 

Now, I could be wrong, Jesus said the Father dwells "in" him (Jhn 14:10), so perhaps the Spirit dwelled in him as well, but the scriptures do not say that anywhere that I know of. I would prOBably assume that the Spirit dwelled in Jesus if not for Acts 2:33. 

You seem familiar. 

of course. we have messaged. 

I much more enjoy it over here than on the BB. the BB is very liberal and overly calvinistic.

Well, I certainly am not a Calvinist or an Arminian, I do not believe in Original Sin. I made that clear in my introduction. Other than that I am very conservative. I am King James only. 

It might have been you that invited me to join here awhile back, but my memory fails me. 

Well, I certainly am not a Calvinist or an Arminian, I do not believe in Original Sin. I made that clear in my introduction. Other than that I am very conservative. I am King James only. 

It might have been you that invited me to join here awhile back, but my memory fails me. 

I do believe it was. 

Can't say I agree with you on Original Sin, I do always appreciate your debunks on Calvinistic Election and such.

It didn't indwell Christ it is what in the OT upon him. 

he is God in one.

I said a type not an actual. 

it doesn't matter if it descended and lighted upon him.  that is the sign for John plain and simple this is not abut Jesus being indwelled with the Holy Ghost he is one God with the Holy Ghost.  It all happened for the sign.

It didn't indwell Christ it is what in the OT upon him. 

he is God in one.

I said a type not an actual. 

it doesn't matter if it descended and lighted upon him.  that is the sign for John plain and simple this is not abut Jesus being indwelled with the Holy Ghost he is one God with the Holy Ghost.  It all happened for the sign.

I would disagree. 

Luk 4:18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
19 To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.
20 And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him.
21 And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.

Is Jesus speaking of the Spirit descending upon him after he was baptized here? NO, Jesus had been baptized sometime before and had spent 40 days in the wilderness being tempted before he said this in Nazareth. 

So, this OT prophecy was not concerning what John the Baptist saw. 

I'm starting to do my own critical thinking on it.

My experience is that there is definitely something in my own nature that is inclined to sin, but the thought of attributing it to a sin nature that God allowed me to have would be blaming God, which I don't see how he can hold me accountable for sin if that is really the case. 

I struggle with how we can have a free will, but also a sin nature that causes us to sin, yet somehow God punishes us for just doing what we are by nature.. 

Kind of like dying your childs hair red and then beating them for having red hair in my opinion.

Edited by Jordan Kurecki

My experience is that there is definitely something in my own nature that is inclined to sin, but the thought of attributing it to a sin nature that God allowed me to have would be blaming God, which I don't see how he can hold me accountable for sin if that is really the case. 

I struggle with how we can have a free will, but also a sin nature that causes us to sin, yet somehow God punishes us for just doing what we are by nature.. 

Kind of like dying your childs hair red and then beating them for having red hair in my opinion.

Maybe you should start a new thread on it. 

But I can see you are thinking, and thinking correctly. 

But be prepared, you will take a LOT of heat on this one. 

Maybe you should start a new thread on it. 

But I can see you are thinking, and thinking correctly. 

But be prepared, you will take a LOT of heat on this one. 

I've been taking heat ever since I got saved.

I have the most conservative music stance out of any Baptist I know and it gets me heat all the time.

of course being KJO as well.

I've been taking heat ever since I got saved.

I have the most conservative music stance out of any Baptist I know and it gets me heat all the time.

of course being KJO as well.

Good for you Jordan. You stay true to God and he will use you. That is a wonderful life. 

Winman, I know who you are and I will no longer discuss with you on any subject and at this point I will block your post from my view and put you on an ignore list.

Edited by AVBibleBeliever

Winman, I know you are and I will no longer discuss with you on any subject and at this point I will block your post from my view and put you on an ignore list.

Well, that is certainly your prerogative, but you are going to miss out on some interesting discussions. I have been accused of many things on forums, but being boring or afraid to address controversial subjects is not one of them. 

Well, that is certainly your prerogative, but you are going to miss out on some interesting discussions. I have been accused of many things on forums, but being boring or afraid to address controversial subjects is not one of them. 

Not really in my last dealings with you on other Baptist and KJV forums you were pretty much a trouble maker and I see it arising here, that is why at this point I will ignore you.  Not that it is boring or I am afraid.

I am glad to take advantage of my prerogative.