• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

One God, Three Persons, Co-Equal

• Members

I agree that if you take the verse by itself, it would appear to be saying that Jesus received the Holy Ghost; however, when reading the whole chapter, it's referring to the believers receiving the Holy Spirit.

That was the whole premise that provoked Peter's sermon...the people wondered what in the world was going on with those who had received the gift of the Holy Spirit, so Peter addressed that in his sermon.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Why did the Holy Ghost have to descend on and remain on Jesus?

Jhn 1:32 And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him.
33 And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost.

Win, is this you rewording the question for Chief?

the verse John 1 32-33 above was a sign for a Jew named John the Baptist.  we know it is a sign because John says so.  the sign was the dove like decending but you will notice God says it is he that baptizeth with the Holy Ghost so from that we can see some types.

This is a wonderful type of what happens When a person gets saved by grace through faith.  The Holy Ghost comes upon them and remains in them.

It is also a type of empowerment for the work by the Holy Ghost after one believes.

Remember the only reason Christ was baptized was to identify himself with sinful men not to receive the Holy Ghost. No where does it say he was there to receive the Holy Ghost.

Now before you all go off and say it says nothing about identifying remember what John is performing is called the baptism of the remission of sins.  Christ was sinless so in getting baptized he is identifying himself with sinful man.

• Members

Jam 5:17 Elias was a man subject to like passions as we are, and he prayed earnestly that it might not rain: and it rained not on the earth by the space of three years and six months.
18 And he prayed again, and the heaven gave rain, and the earth brought forth her fruit.

Elias stopped the rain for three years, and then prayed again and it rained. He was a normal man. 

I believe it was God who stopped the rain.

I have heard charismatics say that as Elias was a normal man filled with the Holy Spirit, if we are filled with the Holy Spirit, we could do the same.

The prOBlem with that is, God told Elijah to pray for rain.

1Ki 18:1  And it came to pass after many days, that the word of the LORD came to Elijah in the third year, saying, Go, shew thyself unto Ahab; and I will send rain upon the earth.

• Members

I believe it was God who stopped the rain.

I have heard charismatics say that as Elias was a normal man filled with the Holy Spirit, if we are filled with the Holy Spirit, we could do the same.

The prOBlem with that is, God told Elijah to pray for rain.

1Ki 18:1  And it came to pass after many days, that the word of the LORD came to Elijah in the third year, saying, Go, shew thyself unto Ahab; and I will send rain upon the earth.

#1 Of course it was God who stopped the rain, who would believe otherwise? This is a strawman. 

#2 The scriptures say Elias (Elijah) was a man of like passions as we are. He was a normal man, yet he was able to pray and God stopped it from raining for 3 1/2 years. He prayed again and it rained. 

#3 Do you listen to Charismatics? I will say this though, if you do not believe God will answer your prayer, he certainly will not. 

Jam 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.
7 For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord.

This passage concerns asking for wisdom, nevertheless, God is not going to answer your prayer if you do not believe. At least the Charismatics believe. And I would not be surprised if God does not answer their prayers at times, even if they are in error. If we must be perfect before God will answer our prayers, we are all in big trouble. 

#4 OK, and Elijah believed God and prayed for rain. What is your point?

• Members

#1 Of course it was God who stopped the rain, who would believe otherwise? This is a strawman. 

#2 The scriptures say Elias (Elijah) was a man of like passions as we are. He was a normal man, yet he was able to pray and God stopped it from raining for 3 1/2 years. He prayed again and it rained. 

#3 Do you listen to Charismatics? I will say this though, if you do not believe God will answer your prayer, he certainly will not. 

Jam 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.
7 For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord.

This passage concerns asking for wisdom, nevertheless, God is not going to answer your prayer if you do not believe. At least the Charismatics believe. And I would not be surprised if God does not answer their prayers at times, even if they are in error. If we must be perfect before God will answer our prayers, we are all in big trouble. 

#4 OK, and Elijah believed God and prayed for rain. What is your point?

That was my point.

• Members

Win, is this you rewording the question for Chief?

the verse John 1 32-33 above was a sign for a Jew named John the Baptist.  we know it is a sign because John says so.  the sign was the dove like decending but you will notice God says it is he that baptizeth with the Holy Ghost so from that we can see some types.

This is a wonderful type of what happens When a person gets saved by grace through faith.  The Holy Ghost comes upon them and remains in them.

It is also a type of empowerment for the work by the Holy Ghost after one believes.

Remember the only reason Christ was baptized was to identify himself with sinful men not to receive the Holy Ghost. No where does it say he was there to receive the Holy Ghost.

Now before you all go off and say it says nothing about identifying remember what John is performing is called the baptism of the remission of sins.  Christ was sinless so in getting baptized he is identifying himself with sinful man.

Yes, this was a sign for John the Baptist. Nevertheless, he was told that whom the Spirit descended "upon" and whom it rested "on" was the promised Christ. It does not say the Spirit "indwelled" Jesus or was "in" him.

Jhn 1:32 And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him.
33 And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost.

Does scripture say the Holy Spirit was "in" Jesus? NO, it repeatedly says the Spirit was "upon" him, or "on" him. That is significant don't you think? 

Now, I could be wrong, Jesus said the Father dwells "in" him (Jhn 14:10), so perhaps the Spirit dwelled in him as well, but the scriptures do not say that anywhere that I know of. I would prOBably assume that the Spirit dwelled in Jesus if not for Acts 2:33. 

• Members

Yes, this was a sign for John the Baptist. Nevertheless, he was told that whom the Spirit descended "upon" and whom it rested "on" was the promised Christ. It does not say the Spirit "indwelled" Jesus or was "in" him.

Does scripture say the Holy Spirit was "in" Jesus? NO, it repeatedly says the Spirit was "upon" him, or "on" him. That is significant don't you think? 

Now, I could be wrong, Jesus said the Father dwells "in" him (Jhn 14:10), so perhaps the Spirit dwelled in him as well, but the scriptures do not say that anywhere that I know of. I would prOBably assume that the Spirit dwelled in Jesus if not for Acts 2:33. 

You seem familiar. 

• Members

of course. we have messaged. 

I much more enjoy it over here than on the BB. the BB is very liberal and overly calvinistic.

Well, I certainly am not a Calvinist or an Arminian, I do not believe in Original Sin. I made that clear in my introduction. Other than that I am very conservative. I am King James only. 

It might have been you that invited me to join here awhile back, but my memory fails me. 

• Members

Well, I certainly am not a Calvinist or an Arminian, I do not believe in Original Sin. I made that clear in my introduction. Other than that I am very conservative. I am King James only. 

It might have been you that invited me to join here awhile back, but my memory fails me. 

I do believe it was. 

Can't say I agree with you on Original Sin, I do always appreciate your debunks on Calvinistic Election and such.

• Members

It didn't indwell Christ it is what in the OT upon him. 

he is God in one.

I said a type not an actual. 

it doesn't matter if it descended and lighted upon him.  that is the sign for John plain and simple this is not abut Jesus being indwelled with the Holy Ghost he is one God with the Holy Ghost.  It all happened for the sign.

• Members

It didn't indwell Christ it is what in the OT upon him. 

he is God in one.

I said a type not an actual. 

it doesn't matter if it descended and lighted upon him.  that is the sign for John plain and simple this is not abut Jesus being indwelled with the Holy Ghost he is one God with the Holy Ghost.  It all happened for the sign.

I would disagree. 

Luk 4:18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
19 To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.
20 And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him.
21 And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.

Is Jesus speaking of the Spirit descending upon him after he was baptized here? NO, Jesus had been baptized sometime before and had spent 40 days in the wilderness being tempted before he said this in Nazareth. 

So, this OT prophecy was not concerning what John the Baptist saw. 

• Members

I do believe it was. 

Can't say I agree with you on Original Sin, I do always appreciate your debunks on Calvinistic Election and such.

You will change your mind in time.  :eureka:

Sometime when we both have time I will present scripture that will prove it to you. 

Archived