• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Shamanism Or Cutting-Edge Christianity?

RSS Robot

• Members

By David Dombrowski Editor at Lighthouse Trails Publishing & Research I find it rather interesting how God has orchestrated things in life, which demonstrate His great love and ongoing mercy to ordinary people like myself. But, more specifically, I am thinking right now about how years ago I happened to come across a copy of […]

View the full article

• Members

the native american religions were much like the Buddhist and Hindus religions as these all incorporate meditation, fasting, chanting, and rythemic sounds or music.  The Buddhist use a form of chanting along with spinning a large brass bell which makes a steady resonating sound at a certain pitch and tone.  the participants sits in a cross legged position and chants a saying like "I am that I am" and spins the bell.  Often this assignment is given and they must do these chants for many hours.  the bell resonates as it spins and the chanter chants his mantra or verse, the first 15 minutes the body mechanisms are not activated but after 30 minutes the brains secretes a natural pain reliever known as endorphine. it is pumped into the blood to help keep the muscles from cramping, and then after 45 minutes it continues to pump it to keep the ears from hurting.  All the while this is done at a fast pace so Adrenaline is also pumped into the body at the same time.  the longer it is done the more Adrenaline and the more Endorphine is pumped into the body after 45 minutes the body becomes overdosed.

Now I mentioned this before about Charismatic groups and loud music along with jumping or dancing in their churches creates the same effect on the body. and after 45 minutes people begin to have spiritual experiences.   Most often the participants will report having visions or some other sort of spiritual experience.  But it is nothing short of being high on drugs that the body naturally produces to protect itself from harm.

Now if so called Christian churches are incorporating this sort of thing into their worship practices we would not expect it to be any different than the Buddhist, Hindu or Roman Catholic religions when it comes to their claiming to have some sort of spiritual experience.  It is the error of YWAM and other liberal Christian groups to allow the culture of people to remain and just adding a little bit of Jesus.  I always say if the Bible teaching is different than your culture you must give up your culture.

God did not set up the Jewish religion in any way for this type of thing to happen nor when our Lord started what is today labeled the Christian church was it set up to have these types of experiences.  This is what our society has been doing to the us via the different educational tools like TV, Music, Literature etc, to create a desire in the hearts and minds to have experiences and possess power.  Experiences do not prove that one is saved or that one is on a true spiritual path. But as I have OBserved many want to have POWER if not over people over things like bending spoons, or levitating or communication with spirits so others will look up to them as special or gifted (pride).  All of these things religious things whether practiced in a Christian church, another religion or in secular homes are nothing more the doctrines of the devil, to fulfill his word's "ye shall be as gods".

In my own spiritual walk to desire power to heal, or do miracles is a dangerous place to be, and at the other end to have knowledge and wisdom of that like Solomon is also dangerous.  (Please don't take that last statement wrong, we are to have these but often we get prideful over our the amount of knowledge we have and then it has become a curse more than a blessing).  we must learn what Paul said, 1Cor 13:1-3 ¶ Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.   And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.   And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

The church is on dangerous ground when it gets into desiring to have so called spiritual experiences over proper knowledge and charity via the Holy Bible.  It is on dangerous ground when it thinks that it can take parts of human culture or human religious practices and incorporate it into Christian practice.  We must teach the truth, stand on the truth and beware of these things especially in this generation that desires a sign rather than truth of the word of God.

Archived