• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Andy Stanley: Pastors Need To Stop Saying, "the Bible Says..."

• Members

I'm just going to put up the link, and you can read it if you want. 

His point is that in today's world, many no longer revere the Bible or believe it's God's word. Stanley says it would be better to say, "Paul says" or "Jesus says"...that by using the phrase "The Bible says", pastors are basically alienating unbelievers...using the names of people in the Bible rather than just saying "The Bible says" will help keep skeptics and unbelievers engaged in the sermon.

I guess Stanley has forgotten about the Holy Spirit using God's word...the Bible. Oh well, this is just another step Andy Stanley has taken to appeal to the world more.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/07/15/megapastor-reveals-the-one-bible-phrase-he-believes-preachers-must-stop-saying/

• Members

I shook my head when I read about that.

First of all, a pastor's primary "audience" should be his saved congregation. It's his duty to teach them the Word of God and help them grow in Christ.

As you point out, the Holy Ghost uses the Word of God to convict the lost so one has to really wonder how making statements which point to the fact that the Bible is God's Word, and the Bible is true would detract from the lost being able to come to Christ.

I've heard too many preachers who do take the route of saying "Paul says" or "Moses tells us" and their preaching all too often comes off sounding as if what's in the Bible is just a collection of what different men have said over the centuries. The fact the Bible is Holy Ghost inspired is often left out, whether by accident or on purpose, which renders the Bible being seen as a book written by mere men.

This, in part, has led to churches denying that parts of Scripture are even valid. That's how some so easily dismiss the verses dealing with women's role in church and home, as well as verses on homosexuality. They are all said to be the opinions of bigoted old men from a backwards time and place. After they dismiss these verses they declare to be written by misguided or even mean-spirited men, they feel free to justify women pastors, homosexual pastors and after that pretty much anything goes.

Considering how watered down his ministry is anyway, this idea of his doesn't really surprise me.

• Members

Thy Word is a lamp...

Thy Word is very pure.....

Thy Word is truth....

The Word of God is quick and powerful...

He that heareth my Word.....and believeth on him that sent me hath everlasting life......

If a pastor doesn't say ''the Word of God says'', and doesn't do it, I don't want to hear him.

I feel sorry for Stanley.

Edit to add...I can't see him as led by the Holy Spirit. Maybe he's found himself ineffective at preaching from the Bible where Jesus said, "Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life." John 5:24

• Members

Exo 4:22 And thou shalt say unto Pharaoh, Thus saith the LORD, Israel is my son, even my firstborn:

413 times the phrase "Thus saith the Lord" is used in the OT.

7 times Jesus used the Word Scriptures in the Gospels.

Twice in one sentence Paul used the phrase "according to the Scriptures" whilst explaining the Gospel.

If it was good enough for the prophets and good enough for Paul, and good enough for our Lord....... then I think it is Ok for us to say "the Bible says".

Heb 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

• Members

we should never take anything that comes form theblaze.com as truth anyway seeing Glenn Beck is a psuedo Christian.  But I understand the point.  get them away from the word and then give them EXPERIENCES to take its place for a man with an experience is hard to win over with some old Holy Bible.

Archived