• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Who Rates?

ThePilgrim

• Members

Didn't want to derail another discussion so I will ask the question here.

Who rates the public school systems for quality?

Are the ratings systems only used to justify the system in the eyes of the public who must use them?

God bless,

Larry

• Members

States typically rate their school districts. Cities rate their schools. The Feds have a school rating system. Others rate certain schools too.

Most ratings cited are done by a government body. These rate the schools based upon their own criteria, which is always subject to change. Depending upon the rating method they use, and oftentimes the same government group will rate schools differently. This helps them to say more schools are doing better (or worse if that suits their agenda) by pointing to different ratings from different categories.

For instance, one school may be rated high because they have a high graduation rate, even if the high graduation rate is due to that school simply passing the students whether they meet graduation goals or not. Another school may receive a high rating because they added many new teachers fresh out of college, regardless of their performance. Meanwhile another school will get a high rating because they bowed to all the governmental requirements for PCness.

One thing they don't rate schools upon is morals education, teaching of actual facts, and certainly nothing to do with Christianity.

Overall, most of the rating systems are rigged to provide a view of the schools in a predetermined manner. These are mostly used for political reasons which benefits the teacher unions, school districts and politicians most of all.

• Members

States typically rate their school districts. Cities rate their schools. The Feds have a school rating system. Others rate certain schools too.

Most ratings cited are done by a government body. These rate the schools based upon their own criteria, which is always subject to change. Depending upon the rating method they use, and oftentimes the same government group will rate schools differently. This helps them to say more schools are doing better (or worse if that suits their agenda) by pointing to different ratings from different categories.

For instance, one school may be rated high because they have a high graduation rate, even if the high graduation rate is due to that school simply passing the students whether they meet graduation goals or not. Another school may receive a high rating because they added many new teachers fresh out of college, regardless of their performance. Meanwhile another school will get a high rating because they bowed to all the governmental requirements for PCness.

One thing they don't rate schools upon is morals education, teaching of actual facts, and certainly nothing to do with Christianity.

Overall, most of the rating systems are rigged to provide a view of the schools in a predetermined manner. These are mostly used for political reasons which benefits the teacher unions, school districts and politicians most of all.

It was a question I already knew the answer to.  I just wanted to find out if anyone else had any idea that the ratings were phony.

Just as an example I rate myself regularly on my ability to to sing and play the guitar.  I consistently score over 100.  It is a real puzzle to me that nOBody else wants to listen to me.  Really weird.  :verymad:

God bless,

Larry

• Administrators

I always thought the ratings were based on how well students did overall on those standardized tests we were forced to take in school. Shows how much I know, haha!  :P

That is actually part of it, which is why sometimes you'll hear bragging from school districts as to their being # this or that in the state (ours is supposed to be #3...if so, I pity the ones below!!).

• Members

They have so many different ratings, which they all conveniently ignore or highlight as suits their purposes. With so many different ratings virtually any district can find something positive and if it might help their agenda, something negative. Politicians, teachers unions and others pick and choose which ratings to bring up and which to ignore all for the sake of political gain, money and attention.

Several years ago a group of black businessmen started an all boys school in a downtrodden black area in Detroit. For the most part the school was ignored until after two or three years the school made the news because in every area that really counts, the school was excelling.

The school had a dress code, rules that were enforced, including moral rules, had rigorous academic standards, and the students were testing not only well above where they had been before, but above many of the "better" schools.

The teachers union, "civil rights" groups, and Dems couldn't have that! They tried many things to get at the school by trying to find something they "must" be violating, and that didn't work. They tried to dig up dirt on the black businessmen; that didn't work. Finally they attacked the school based upon it being all male (sexist) and since all the students were black that OBviously meant the school wasn't integrated which they said meant the school was racist.

The school was forced to close. The students were sent back into the dismal Detroit public school system.

• Members

My granddaughter was in public school in the first grade and was being forced to except that homosexuals were born the way they are and their way of life was good and not evil. and that cross dressing was just fine and they should be encourage to try it. Public Schools are forcing every ungodly thing they can upon the children within them.. "my granddaughter is now being home schooled ''   

In our State the better the rating the better the education which means more ''money'' the school gets from the State for higher teacher pay etc.

as for me not one school in this state has a rating above -0- because better education is OBeying the word of God trusting in Him and drawing closer to Him and trusting in Jesus as ones lord and Savior . which means eternal life.

I believe that christian's should not be forced to pay school tax to support the ungodly sins being taught within the public schools and christian's should be allowed to use the money to home school our children. 

God bless

• Members

A point about the schools rated as "best in education", meaning they are meeting government mandated standards in certain areas, is that such typically doesn't mean what most folks would believe, or hope.

Today's standards are a far cry from the higher education standards put forth 50 years ago and are exceedingly lower than what was expected 100 years ago.

Add to that the near total ruination of any class dealing with history and things just get worse. Important and even key aspects of history are given slight notice, rewritten (twisted into a lie) or outright left out. Meanwhile, trivial matters are elevated to great importance, lies are injected as fact and the narrative of history is put forth in a warped manner to support the Leftist agenda.

At a time when even American colleges and universities have dumbed down their courses, why is it that virtually every one of these must offer remedial education classes? The answer is simple, the public school system is a failure. Such a large percentage of high school graduates apply for college unable to meet even the basic requirements in English and math (and some other subjects). Rather than deal with various charges of discrimination, sexism and racism for turning away applicants who don't qualify for college, these institutes of higher education formed special remedial classes in order to try and teach freshmen what they should have learned long ago.

The American education system is a farce, in terms of actual education, and is only useful for the government to dumb down the populace and indoctrinate them.

Archived