• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Anyone Remember When

John81

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My nursing class in 2003-2004 was scary. And this was just to the Licensed nurse level. (3 semesters). The girl in front of me was otherwise a cute little blond, but she made herself rude and piggish in her speech, she used slang such that she didn't understand basic English enough to understand the tests. She would openly insult the teachers and accuse them of "ef--ing" with her. Because she couldn't understand the wording. I sat behind her for 3 semesters having to see her tramp stamp on her hips displayed. One girl threw candy penises around the room. She also snored through class and yet got straight A's so she absorbed in her sleep. She slapped me hard on the bottom during our last clinicals. When I complained to the teacher I found out all that time, the teachers expected us to discipline fellow students. They never explained that before. I expected the teachers to discipline the students and they never did. So all of our expectations were unspoken and it was poor communication.

I was appalled at about 1/2 my classmates and hoped I never have to be their patient.

• Moderators

20 years ago it was getting drunk on the holy spirit and the proponents called themselves holy ghost bar tenders.  Now the new generation they are the token the holy spirit and they are the holy ghost dealers.

Bunch of trash

And indeed, they are going further with calling their "church" the crack house, and talking about being holy meth heads and acting like they're snorting from the Bible.

40 years ago, or more, we had the Jesus People movement, now Calvary Chapel, with Lonnie Frisbee, who found Jesus supposedly while on an LSD trip. They gave us the beginnings of the CCM, melding contemporary hippy music slightly altered to be to or about Jesus. That begn the  purposely emulating the world, and some of the worst of the world, by imitating rebellious rock and roll. So of course, once that's mainstream, we need to go further, so we had spirit drunkenness, and uncontrollable laughter. And wicked begets wicked begets wicked, now the youth have gone further, pretending to get high on Jesus, smoking baby Jesus blunts and snorting the word of God like cocaine. Once the floodgates opened with unscriptural activities in the name of Jesus, the flood waters have risen into full-blown gross apostasy.

edited to add: And of course, CCM has moved with it, giving us now 'Christian" death metal and rap and punk and such things, I mean, death metal? Really? Isn't death exactly the opposite of what Christ, who is Life, is all about?  We seve Jesus Christ, the Man of sorrows and acquainted with grief, so some have to laugh uncontrollably like idiotic fools and credit the Spirit of God with it. We serve Jesus Christ, who is the Resurrection and the Life and some offer Him death metal music as a sacrifice?  We are told to be "sOBer, just, holy, temperate," so some have Bible and Brew meetings and act like they are stoned and giggling? 

Satan has really scored some heavy points against the name of Jesus, when this is what the world believes to be the churches.

• Members

the Jesus People group of the 60's broke up into three groups, 1) the Jesus People (still active today), 2) Calvary Chapel and 3) Vineyard.  From what I have read, Maranatha music and Vineyard music came from these churches and are the two main promoters of the Girl/boyfriend/God Songs known as CCM.  Not all CCM is wrong, songs like In Christ Alone would be an exception (the original is Classical orchestration and not Rock style).

CC once touting to be biblically balance started going off balance before Chuck passed on, he was in the hospital from 2010-12 and did very little in leadership those two years.  The current leader Brian Broderson(sp?) was leading during that time.  Once Churck died all --- broke loose.  We separated in 2011 after confronting the leadership and got a "well if you don't like it leave response".  So we disassociated.  We are currently Independent Bible Believing.

~Edited to remove curse word...speaking of the place in light of how scripture uses it is fine, but not in general as referenced here. Moderator. ~

• Members

~Edited to remove curse word...speaking of the place in light of how scripture uses it is fine, but not in general as referenced here. Moderator. ~

first of all I don't curse, second, I did not use the word H**l as a curse word it was a reference to the fires of it breaking forth in these churches.  Just like when Jesus said,  Mt 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Jesus Reference here is not so much about the place as the influence of it in his church.

Just to be clear to tell someone to go to H**l. that is a literal curse.  When you use it you are cursing them to H**l.

the sense I used it was about demonic influence and doctrines taking over from sound doctrine.

Seems a little to much PC censorship.

But do as you like

• Administrators

first of all I don't curse, second, I did not use the word H**l as a curse word it was a reference to the fires of it breaking forth in these churches.  Just like when Jesus said,  Mt 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Jesus Reference here is not so much about the place as the influence of it in his church.

Just to be clear to tell someone to go to H**l. that is a literal curse.  When you use it you are cursing them to H**l.

the sense I used it was about demonic influence and doctrines taking over from sound doctrine.

Seems a little to much PC censorship.

But do as you like

Wording it the way did was most certainly cursing.   What you said was not the same thing as what Jesus said, and so is no comparison.  You might think it's too much pc censoring, and that's fine - we all have our opinions.  But it isn't allowed, and so will not stand. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

This is one of the most blasphemous videos of modern "Christianity" I have ever seen. 

Notice in the video how the testimonies are so far from true convictions.  One of the young men talks like just his hugging someone saved the person.  No Gospel preached whatsoever.  smh

After reading your first sentence I have trouble understanding why you or anyone else would ever watch any part of it.

Sorry, but I wouldn't even give it the credibility of clicking on anything such as you have described.

• Members

There was an area youth minister who had an odd hair style. He didn't have a Mohawk but the middle portion of his hair was longer than the rest. He dyed that part purple! He also grew a goatee and dyed it. Then he got "Christian tattoos", all so he could "better relate to young people so he could share that Christians are just like them and can have fun too".

I've yet to see in Scripture such a charge given to followers of Christ. In fact, the charge given to Christians would seem to be near the opposite.

• Members

There was an area youth minister who had an odd hair style. He didn't have a Mohawk but the middle portion of his hair was longer than the rest. He dyed that part purple! He also grew a goatee and dyed it. Then he got "Christian tattoos", all so he could "better relate to young people so he could share that Christians are just like them and can have fun too".

I've yet to see in Scripture such a charge given to followers of Christ. In fact, the charge given to Christians would seem to be near the opposite.

better yet one that says we are to be conformed to the word.

Roms 8:29 ¶ For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate [to be] conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Roms 12:1, 3 ¶ I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.   And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Not being conformed to this world is a living sacrifice that we make.  When we choose to look like those in the world we are not willing to be a living sacrifice which is acceptable unto God.  They need to be taught this as a first principle doctrine of separation.

• Members

Anyone remember when many professions had moral and appearance (most often tied together) guidelines for hiring and maintaining employees?

Today it can be difficult to tell the teacher or nurse from someone who just wondered in the door after waking up in an alley.

Tattoos, often vulgar and/or disgusting showing from various parts of their body. (Which some of those body parts showing with tattoos once weren't acceptable to be showing in these professions either!)

Ears with a half dozen piercings, nose rings, pierced eyebrows, lips and tongues.

Strange hair cuts and styles, sometimes with multiple and odd colors.

Often their speech and word usage mirrors their unkempt dress style and "bad part of town" looks and mannerisms.

This sort of thing has infiltrated churches too. Pastors, deacons, board members and the congregation proudly sporting their tattoos, piercings, odd hair styles and colors, unkempt dress, ghetto or gutter mannerisms. Sometimes these things are even held up as examples of Christian love, outreach, acceptance, growth. The congregation cheers for their pastors new, tiny cross tattoo below his eye inside a teardrop. The youth pastor sports a fancy looking cross tattoo on his forearm and speaks of how it opens doors to sharing the Gospel with younger folks.

Whatever happened to what was once called professionalism? Whatever happened to standards of deportment? Whatever happened to the expectation of certain professions holding to higher qualification standards?

I never thought this would happen in church....I was asked by the youth leader to speak to the children for 10 minutes at the beginning of the service.  It was a Wednesday night and she would have different men of the church give lessons.  I was in the small chapel downstairs, behind the pulpit, so I wore a button down shirt and tie.  When I was done, I went upstairs to Bible study.  I never had so many wierd looks.  I thought I had something on me or my zipper was down.  But after the service I had quite a few people make comments to me about the way I was dressed such as "whats the special occassion?"  "are you lost?"  "who you dressed up for?" and the one that blew my mind..."we don't dress like that on Wednesdays!"..  I wasn't even wearing a suit coat, just a tie.  I never thought I would be too dressed up for church!  I remember when all the men wore ties to church.

• Members

Even in the church it's becoming all about everyone feeling casual, relaxed, comfortable, and especially non-traditional.

Our church had a casual Sunday ONCE. The reason being that the church picnic was going to be right after the second morning service. Well, even in our pretty good church there were a few a little too casually dressed. After that Sunday our pastors said they were very uncomfortable with the casual dress that day and wouldn't be doing that again.

My family and I, and a handful of others came dressed as usual for a Sunday service and people kept asking us why we were dressed up.

• Members

When we have a fellowship after the service where we expect to get outside with the kids having water fights etc, people come normal and bring a change of clothes.
But our Wednesday nights are a bit more casual than Sundays.

• Administrators

My mom's church is like that as well. Well, it was. Wth them looking for a new pastor, who knows what it'll be.

Our church is the same for every service except Thanksgiving breakfast. That is casual because the men do the cooking, serving, and cleanup. :-) On Sundays folk who work on buses bring clothes to change into if needed.

Archived